Options for checking blade balance?

The place for discussions about mowers, stripers, edgers, weeders, etc.
Green
Grass Type: KBG, TTTF, TTPR, and FF (various mixtures)
Lawn Size: 10000-20000
Level: Experienced

Options for checking blade balance?

Post by Green » July 29th, 2021, 12:12 am

My MTD-style 21" mower blades are tough to check the balance of with the standard cheap balance stands. The issue is the shape of the hole for the bolt. It doesn't rest symmetrcially on the stand due to the irregular shape. There has to be a better way. Any suggestions?

Thanks.

bumpy lawn
Grass Type: No Mix
Lawn Size: 10000-20000
Level: Experienced

Re: Options for checking blade balance?

Post by bumpy lawn » August 1st, 2021, 9:11 pm

On my White Outdoors(MTD by another name) I've used the $2-$4 cone balancers in the past. I have a plastic and an aluminum version- the aluminum one has more/closer steps in it so it fits more blade styles better. I kind of went ocd last year and bought a tecomec magnetic balancer last year. It has a cone that fits nearly all center holes and holds the blade with six neodymium magnets. All I can say it is works very well. Short learning curve, easy to use and much better balance to perfect balance is achievable. Some will say it's overkill and expensive. Some say they've used nails and screwdriver shafts and they work just fine. I've personally never had good luck. Others say they've never balanced a blade(omgoodness? really?!).
If you are fussy about the balance I feel a magnetic cone balancer is a must have.