Hose end vs backpack

The place for discussions about mowers, stripers, edgers, weeders, etc.
starpartyguy
Grass Type: tall fescue
Lawn Size: 5000-10000
Level: Some Experience

Hose end vs backpack

Post by starpartyguy » August 18th, 2021, 3:15 pm

Just started using Next biostimulant products. Just bought the Field King 4 gallon pump backpack sprayer and I have the Ortho hose end unit. I have 10k of tttf. Just used the backpack for RGS and Air 8, 2 gallons at a time for 10 gallons total. Took 2 hours to apply.

If I use the Ortho, there isn’t enough room in the bottle for 2k of lawn for 2 products. They have to go down individually. But if I use the ortho, I don’t have to water in or do my rain dance!

Do I walk the lawn twice, dragging a hose, or spray one time with 2 products diluted and water in, or plan before a rainfall?

starpartyguy
Grass Type: tall fescue
Level: Some Experience

Re: Hose end vs backpack

Post by starpartyguy » August 18th, 2021, 9:18 pm

I noticed one video on Youtube where they used RGS, Air 8, and Humic 12 in one application with the backpack sprayer. Then they used the hose end sprayer with Microgreen to water it all in.

Right now there's hurricane remnants producing thunderstorms watering in whatever I put down 2 days ago. Driving my beagle nuts!

LOL

Eradicator
Grass Type: Tall Fescue
Lawn Size: Not Specified
Level: Not Specified

Post by Eradicator » September 10th, 2021, 5:29 am

As long as your mix is a solution and not a suspension and as long as you have all your chems calculated for the same SF'age, you're golden!

jeff

MorpheusPA
Grass Type: Elite KBG
Lawn Size: 10000-20000
Level: Advanced

Post by MorpheusPA » September 11th, 2021, 11:26 am

I use a hose-end and keep refilling, personally. Usually about five, six times for the entire lawn.

Eradicator

Post by Eradicator » September 13th, 2021, 11:08 am

I wrestled with electric backpack vs hose end like many here do.

For me, the value of the backpack is that I don't have to drag a very heavy 100' 3/4" hose around BUT 50lbs on the back, is 50 pounds on the back.....you not only need to be able to carry the weight, you will need to be able to sling it up there on your back!

It is not lightweight but pushing a button, locking the "throttle" WFO so to speak and walking around mine or Kerry's lawn seems to be pretty easy. I'm using a 10/10/5 which mixes 1 tablespoon per gallon, per thousand SF. It's not affecting color but man is it making it grow! Like Morp, I refill 4-5 times
do do the entire lawn....either house.

So it really comes down to cost of concentrate and picking your own poison...carry or drag?

jeff

andy10917
Grass Type: Emblem KBG (Front); Blueberry KBG Monostand (Back)
Lawn Size: 1 acre-2 acre

Post by andy10917 » September 13th, 2021, 12:23 pm

I'm a big proponent of doing it with a backpack. The droplet size is MUCH larger on a hose end sprayer, and herbicides roll off instead of sticking mush more. If the herbicide is meant to be used on the grass blades and not the soil, there is a rather large difference in how much winds up being useful.

MorpheusPA

Post by MorpheusPA » September 13th, 2021, 7:31 pm

Oh, for herbicides, I use a one-gallon sprayer and spot-spray. There's no case where I'd ever hose-end those, it applies too much and I'd never blanket-spray anyway.

I don't like overusing Creative Chemistry. But for kelp, soap, and even Prodiamine, as long as the amounts are OK, I use the hose-end.

Eradicator

Post by Eradicator » September 14th, 2021, 6:53 am

A little science goes a long way......backpack or hose-end, a single drop of a surfactant will shatter the surface tension preventing the fluid from attaching itself to the stalk of whatever....Dawn dish soap is my preferred surfactant. This allows foliar coverage as well as ground coverage...like a little free Power-booster for your fertilizers

MorpheusPA

Post by MorpheusPA » September 14th, 2021, 9:00 am

Eradicator wrote:
September 14th, 2021, 6:53 am
A little science goes a long way......backpack or hose-end, a single drop of a surfactant will shatter the surface tension preventing the fluid from attaching itself to the stalk of whatever....Dawn dish soap is my preferred surfactant. This allows foliar coverage as well as ground coverage...like a little free Power-booster for your fertilizers
Dawn is OK for a lot of things, but read the label. Dawn's cationic, meaning that it exposes a positive charge that can, and happily will, bind to a lot of herbicides (and nitrogen compounds). That can render them less effective to ineffective.

In the case of, say, a urea compound, it doesn't matter. Ammonia compounds you'll get back eventually. Herbicides...it depends.

Spreader stickers are usually designed to be non-ionic and to be non-reactive with most things.

Eradicator

Post by Eradicator » September 20th, 2021, 5:10 am

I used my girl this weekend....no guys, not like that....

I took my backpack over to my sweethearts beautiful home on a shady nook on MD's Eastern Shore. She bought it this past Spring and "SAND" is the substrate God chose. LOL Between the shade and sand, it's a battle we knew we were entering prior to her moving in. I toss the backpack in the back b4 driving over and after replacing her dishwasher Sat morning, I was a little sore so I got her "strapped up" to spray. She is a former rugby player so she's tough but I mixed 3 gal max in situ- while it was on her back, then refilled the same way. It worked pretty well but I had to give her a break at one point when she began getting closer to the ground.

I asked her at one point if she felt like a pack-animal, she said "neigh"......

jeff

pristinegreen75
Grass Type: Bluegrass in back, Northern mix in front
Level: Experienced

Post by pristinegreen75 » September 20th, 2021, 1:28 pm

HIlarious Jeff!!!

Eradicator

Post by Eradicator » September 22nd, 2021, 7:35 am

In the spirit of 100% transparency, I sprayed MY yard yesterday, loading the backpack full with 4 gal. I nearly fell over, twice....but this will never get to Kerry's ears....she would tease me for years!

MorpheusPA

Post by MorpheusPA » September 22nd, 2021, 5:42 pm

Yeah, at 155 pounds and falling again, a full backpack is a major load for me. I don't have a problem hefting it, it's just that with it on, I'm now seriously top-heavy and back-heavy.

I could go over like a tortoise and not come back up, left lying on my back in the middle of the lawn, flailing around until somebody calls 9-1-1.