Anyone use a battery push mower?

The place for discussions about mowers, stripers, edgers, weeders, etc.
flyin-lowe
Grass Type: TTTF
Lawn Size: 2 acre-5 acre
Level: Some Experience

Anyone use a battery push mower?

Post by flyin-lowe » May 11th, 2023, 8:22 am

I am buying a small rental house for my daughter to live in while she is in college. Pretty small city lot with the back yard being around 10K square feet. I don't want to spend a fortune on a mower for a college house and thought one of the battery powered ones would be easier on them to operate. Curious if any of the mid priced ones sold like at Lowes or Menards etc. are worth messing with? My yard is 5 acres so I have never even looked into the battery powered mowers to know if any of them are a good choice or not.

Zambroni
Grass Type: Northern Mix
Lawn Size: 1000-3000

Re: Anyone use a battery push mower?

Post by Zambroni » May 11th, 2023, 9:33 am

I use a 40V Ryobi for my yard and it meets all my needs, but I've only got about 2,000 square feet of lawn. I've never had a problem with battery life, so i've forgotten exactly what it was rated for, but 10K seems higher than I remember, especially for a college kid that might let the grass get a little overgrown between cuts. You can always buy extra batteries, but that of course adds to the price.

turf_toes
Grass Type: 77% Blueberry/23% Midnight Star KBG in front. Bewitched KBG monostand in back.
Lawn Size: Not Specified
Level: Not Specified

Post by turf_toes » May 11th, 2023, 6:43 pm

Ive used the Battery Toro Super Recycler going into my third year. Great cut and easily cuts 1/3 acre on one charge. It comes with two blades. The performance blade gives a better cut. It is not pre-installed.

flyin-lowe

Post by flyin-lowe » May 13th, 2023, 4:32 pm

Thanks, now that I have had some time to research, I am not reading much bad about the mowers as long as you get one that has the correct battery size for the size of lawn. I am going to talk to the guy I am buying from to see how long it takes him to mow.

flyin-lowe

Post by flyin-lowe » May 18th, 2023, 10:03 pm

After some research I ended up getting an Ego brand mower. There is a model Lowes has on sale this week (150.00 off). It is the 2nd highest power battery that they offer. Ill post an update once I use it a few times.

flyin-lowe

Post by flyin-lowe » May 25th, 2023, 10:03 pm

I got to mow for the first time this week and so far I am impressed. My yard took 25-30 minutes and I was using the self propel, I then mowed my neighbors which is the same size because I wanted to test the battery. The battery still had about 40% left on the meter when I finished both yards. The neighbor had a few spots that had been mowed due to some construction and I went through them and no bogging. Glad I got the unit with the bigger battery. It did take a few minutes to get used to the controls, but once muscle memory kicks in it is no problem. There is one handle you pull back on to keep the blades going and then on the top of the handle bars there are long switched on either side you use to engage the self propel feature. The old push mower I had as a kid had a handle similar to the on this mower that engages the blades. So a couple times when I wanted to stop the thing I stopped the blades instead. Once I maneuvered around a few things I had it down pat.