any Ferris Zero turn owners?

The place for discussions about mowers, stripers, edgers, weeders, etc.
Sixohh
Grass Type: Common Bermuda
Lawn Size: Not Specified
Level: Not Specified

any Ferris Zero turn owners?

Post by Sixohh » July 18th, 2014, 11:23 am

Well i have pretty much settled On a Ferris Zero Turn 2100 series for my property.

I haven't pulled the trigger yet but i am in love with the suspension and i think my back will be too. I love my cub cadet rotary rider but with my little bit of property i have always wanted to try a zero turn. This is an expensive choice for me considering i rarely buy new, im more of a fixer upper type of guy...

I love the deck design where it really cant dig into the ground. great roller system and i really like how the manufacturer wants you to step on the deck upon entry rather than avoiding it.

I have always wanted a reel mower but i dont think my property is ready for that (to rough).

Any ferris owners out there? i'd love to hear some real world reviews. The lowest it will mow is 1.5", but that is about where i am now with the Cub cadet.

Sixohh
Grass Type: Common Bermuda

Re: any Ferris Zero turn owners?

Post by Sixohh » July 21st, 2014, 11:57 am

not many users of commercial zero turn equipment here huh?

Alan
Grass Type: St. Aug, but converting to Bermuda

Post by Alan » July 21st, 2014, 12:11 pm

~$9k wow!!! Nice mower though.

You may want to double check the cutting height. You don't want to be disappointed afterwards.

Here's what I've found:

Cut Height
Foot-operated deck lift, with adjustable pedal, can change cut height in 1/4" increments from 1.75"- 5".

Mightyquinn
Grass Type: Bermuda Tifway 419 Monostand

Post by Mightyquinn » July 21st, 2014, 1:51 pm

For 9K you could get a nice used fairway or greens mower and get a better cut, it would just require a little bit more maintenance.

Alan
Grass Type: St. Aug, but converting to Bermuda

Post by Alan » July 21st, 2014, 1:56 pm

In your neighborhood. Might be worth a look:

http://houston.craigslist.org/grd/4545309716.html

Jmac30
Grass Type: Bermuda

Post by Jmac30 » July 21st, 2014, 2:11 pm

I spent about that five years ago on a commercial zero turn. I look at craigslist all the time wishing I had bought a used fairway mower (30k around house)and a cheap 3 point finish mower (field behind house). Same money and the best of both worlds. One of these days I'll try to explain my idea to my wife...........

Sent from my iOS device using the Yard Help App

BfranksATX
Grass Type: Blackjack Bermuda

Post by BfranksATX » July 21st, 2014, 4:08 pm

I use a bad boy 48" ZT every few weeks when I cut parents property. They have about 3 acres of grass and it takes 2-3 hours to cut. It has some suspension in the seat and is reasonably comfortable to use. The wheels will tear out a chunk of grass if you pivot too aggressively.

I think it is great for just getting it done like most commercial lawn crews want. There is a reason you don't see them used at golf courses or on managed sports fields.

Honestly I don't think it's worth the 6k they go for when you can get a used triplex on CL for around the same price. The triplex will also have a wider cutting path so you may be able to get it done faster.

If it was me and my budget was $9K I would get the best used fairway mower I could find and a walk behind powered reel mower. Save the rest for annual maintenance on the reels.