Honda hrr216 cutting problem

The place for discussions about mowers, stripers, edgers, weeders, etc.
krusej23
Grass Type: Rye, fescue
Lawn Size: Not Specified
Level: Not Specified

Honda hrr216 cutting problem

Post by krusej23 » May 25th, 2015, 11:15 am

I have a honda hrr216 and it mows great except the wheels lay down the grass sometimes. When I do a swipe one way and come back up while overlapping, it doesn't mow the grass that the wheels went over. Are these just bad wheels for doing that or should there be more vacuum suction to pull that up? Any ideas? It's frustrating because it forces me to mow over things twice sometimes. Thanks!

krusej23

Re: Honda hrr216 cutting problem

Post by krusej23 » May 25th, 2015, 9:24 pm

This is what it kind of looks like. Kind of hard to see with pictures. I mowed today and had to remow many spots.

[ Post made via Android ] Image

plynn7
Grass Type: Tall Fescue/KBG Mix

Post by plynn7 » May 25th, 2015, 9:35 pm

I have the same problem with my HRX217, this is my second season with this mower and I am very disappointed with it. Bought it new last season for $700 and have had nothing but problems with it. First it leaves several hundred blades of grass uncut and after it runs for 15 minutes or so it will not restart and when I do get it to restart after a dozen or so pulls it backfires. It also has the electric start feature which didn't work, I had take it apart and found several loose connections for the battery and starter. I took it in for service for the hard starting under warranty at the end of last season and they replaced the automatic choke device as they said it was not opening after the engine got warm. That seem to work for the first few times using it this season but now it's back to not starting and backfiring after it's warm. This Honda replaced a $300 Cub Cadet that I had for 5 years and never had a problem with. So I guess it's back to the shop.

krusej23

Post by krusej23 » May 25th, 2015, 9:38 pm

Keep me updated with what you find out. Did the service place have any response for it not mowing blades? I haven't had any problems with starting or any engine issues.

plynn7

Post by plynn7 » May 25th, 2015, 9:52 pm

As for it missing blades of grass they had no reason as to why. I did some researching and found out that this is a common problem with the new Honda deck designs. Funny thing, I was mowing on Saturday and one of my kids left a plastic ball on the lawn about the size and weight of a ping pong ball. I didn't see it until I had passed over it, to my surprise the mower did not do anything to it, didn't even move it. My cub Cadet would have spit this thing out in pieces. I think for some reason there is not enough suction to pull up the blades that are lying over or have been flattened by the wheels. So now I have to mow over the same spot two or more times, very disappointing.

krusej23

Post by krusej23 » May 25th, 2015, 9:54 pm

That is the exact issue I have. It doesn't suck anything up. I wonder if the dual blades could cause that.

plynn7

Post by plynn7 » May 25th, 2015, 10:06 pm

Does yours have the Versamow design? I was reading earlier today that if you have it in mulch mode that the door can sometimes slide slightly open and grass clippings can get caught in there and cause the airflow of the deck to be off. After the cut on Saturday I was so frustrated I switched the lever to bag to see if it would make a difference and a good bit of grass clippings fell out from under the mower unfortunately I was unable to cut with it in the bagging position as I had to run out and did not finish mowing. I hoping that maybe this is part of the problem and helps. I will know when I cut again later this week if it makes a difference.

krusej23

Post by krusej23 » May 25th, 2015, 10:09 pm

I have switched it to bag mode before and that didn't seem to help much. I also cleaned up the bottom of the deck with no help there.

plynn7

Post by plynn7 » May 25th, 2015, 10:13 pm

I have been reading a lot of reviews online and there are a ton of people that have no problems at all and some that have our problem, I don't understand how it could be that some cut great and other have this problem.

Mr. Met
Grass Type: Northern Mix and some weeds

Post by Mr. Met » May 26th, 2015, 12:35 pm

i have the Honda HRX217 and have never had any of the problems that both of you state. I hope both of you are able to come up with a solution. Please keep us posted.

rtomek
Grass Type: Elite KBG Sod (unknown cultivars)
Lawn Size: 1000-3000
Level: Experienced

Post by rtomek » May 26th, 2015, 12:53 pm

I have noticed this too, but not after every cut and only in certain areas of the yard. I don't notice it as much on lower cutting heights, it seems to happen more often as I move the deck higher. I also notice that it is worse traveling one direction compared to the other, but if I do the clockwise mowing pattern then I never see it. They recommend it below:

http://powerequipment.honda.com/support ... -questions (click on 'Does it matter what direction I mow?')

krusej23

Post by krusej23 » May 26th, 2015, 6:36 pm

I agree that it didn't happen when I first started mowing this year and it seems like it's getting worse. It also does only seem to happen one way in the grass. I always mow my grass at 3 1/2" on a regular basis unless I can't get to it because of rain and then I mow it at 4".

How often do you get your blades sharpened? I just bought this mower last fall. Should I get them sharpened?

rtomek
Grass Type: Elite KBG Sod (unknown cultivars)
Lawn Size: 1000-3000

Post by rtomek » May 26th, 2015, 7:17 pm

I have an angle grinder I picked up brand new for $10, and I sharpen the blades every 4-8 weeks - whenever I feel like it and have some time. Might be time to get them sharpened, might not, but it could possibly affect airflow if the blade is slowing down to make cuts. The stripe issue is mostly an artifact of less airflow near the top cutting heights since there is so much more room between the bottom of the deck and the soil. Bumping up the RPM with a governor adjustment may also help with the airflow as well.

LoneRanger
Grass Type: Front/Side - Emblem, Back - Panterra V

Post by LoneRanger » May 27th, 2015, 8:25 am

^ +1 on deck height, RPM, and vacuum correlation. There may also be other factors as well. Such as leaf and/or stand thinning. Maybe most of these issues will disappear when lower cutting heights are used.

plynn7

Post by plynn7 » May 27th, 2015, 9:02 am

I usually cut a 3" but this past weekend I dropped it down to 2.5" Just to see if it made a difference which is the lowest I will go and I still had dozens of missed blades, had to go over the same area twice.

krusej23

Post by krusej23 » May 27th, 2015, 9:04 am

I don't think it's the height because I have mowed lower before with another mower and that did the same thing too.

marshalltj
Grass Type: Bermuda

Post by marshalltj » May 27th, 2015, 9:48 am

I have a Honda HRX and have never had a problem, but every now and then I will have a stray pop up. I have always thought that this was the result of the high lift generated by the two blade system and as I was passing an area the last area of the deck to pass over would generate enough suction to pull up a random runner.

LoneRanger
Grass Type: Front/Side - Emblem, Back - Panterra V

Post by LoneRanger » May 27th, 2015, 5:46 pm

Has the blade every been sharpened? If so, by who? There is a possibility that the blade cutting-edge has been lengthened, shortened, or moved. Have you tried a new blade set?

crabgrass
Grass Type: Established TTTF/FF mix with some KBG overseeded - Fighting invasive Bermuda.
Lawn Size: 10000-20000

Post by crabgrass » May 27th, 2015, 10:11 pm

plynn7 wrote:...it runs for 15 minutes or so it will not restart and when I do get it to restart after a dozen or so pulls it backfires.
Two things:

1) has it been turned on its left side? The air filter will flood with gas and it won't start right unless replaced (DIY $5).

2) the fuel line could be clogged. My old HR's line was cleared for $30 and runs fine now.

[ Post made via BlackBerry ] Image

sony1998
Grass Type: northern mix

Post by sony1998 » May 27th, 2015, 10:40 pm

I am also having the missed blade/not mowed issue. I purchase an HRX217-HYA about a month ago and have mowed 5 times and have had the uncut grass issue since first use. I know the blades are sharp -checked them before last mowing. I thought this problem was just me trying to take too large of a swipe but after the 5th use I am starting to have second thoughts. I have been cutting in the mulching mode and it is set to 3.5 inches. She cuts great but it is very annoying to see these missed blades with a brand new mower. I ran a John Deere JX-75 for 10 years and never had this issue.

I am lucky so far. The mower starts on the 1st pull cold or hot. That auto choke is hit or miss. There is a recall on certain serial numbers and starting problems should be covered by your dealer. The recall is on the Honda website.

Another thing that I am not impressed about with the Honda is the very poor fuel economy. I could cut the entire lawn with the John Deere and not have to refill. I have to refill half way though mowing the lawn with the Honda. Either too small of a fuel tank or poor milage.

I noticed there is about an inch of cut grass that accumulates in the discharge area at the rear of the mower if the bag were in place. I am going to have a look at the Versamow door tomorrow to see if it is closing tightly. The John Deere had a plug that fit in that area to block any air from escaping the cutting deck. Maybe I will make my own plug out of expanding foam to see if that helps improve air flow inside the deck.

I am interested in how this turns out for everyone.

Mark