Honda hrr216 cutting problem

The place for discussions about mowers, stripers, edgers, weeders, etc.
rtomek
Grass Type: Elite KBG Sod (unknown cultivars)
Lawn Size: 1000-3000
Level: Experienced

Re: Honda hrr216 cutting problem

Post by rtomek » August 23rd, 2016, 6:58 pm

Darkshadow wrote:
krusej23 wrote:Has anyone had issues with the knobs that allow you to put the handlebars down? I have had them break off twice now while I was mowing. The first time I took it in because it's still under warranty and they made me pay for the parts which I thought was insane. Now I have to go back in there again and I WILL NOT pay for it again.
How are the knobs breaking for the third time? They shouldn't be coming into contact with anything that would touch them besides doing a quick check every few mows to be sure they are hand-tight.
Mine broke off too, don't know how it happens. It's a spring and pin assembly so there is nothing to hand-tighten. The whole assembly is about $10, just search for part number 06530-VL0-315ZA

Cam8n
Grass Type: Kentucky,Rye,Northern mix
Lawn Size: Not Specified
Level: Not Specified

Post by Cam8n » September 7th, 2016, 7:57 pm

I have had this mower for 3 seasons and never had the leaving grass stripes issue on the right side till this year..... I sharpen my blades every 2 months and I even bought new blades to see if that would fix it and no luck on anything I have tried. what could of made the mower just start doing this? Only thing I started doing different this year was mulching. I bagged every year before this season. Thanks for any advice

TimmyG
Grass Type: Northern Mix
Lawn Size: 20000-1 acre
Level: Experienced

Post by TimmyG » September 7th, 2016, 9:55 pm

Cam8n wrote:what could of made the mower just start doing this? Only thing I started doing different this year was mulching.
Mulching is the answer. Lift is nowhere near as great when mulching as it is when bagging, and with the air blowing out from under the deck on the right side when mulching, it's logical to conclude that some grass on the right may get sucked to the right and not get clipped by the blade.

sdaround
Grass Type: Tall fescue

Post by sdaround » June 1st, 2022, 3:21 pm

Wow, I was reading this thread like a mystery novel and then it ends abruptly and I can't tell if people got the issue solved or gave up.

Anyhow, I have the hrr216 with the same problem. However, my version i believe is the K9 which is from 2018 if i am not mistaken. So you this thread is about the k8? I just want to clear that up because I want to change the motor speed and I will be confused if it looks different then what was mentioned here.

I wanted to get some clarification on things:

1. It was mentioned that the suction is better on the left side because the mulch clippings are sent to the right side. I am confused because my mower doesn't have an opening on the right side. There is no mulching door on either side, I just assume the grass blades drop down. Did the older version have a mulch door? Or can someone explain why the grass clippings are traveling to the right side? I want to try the clockwise mowing and want to make sure this issue applies to me.

2. How do you guys overlap the mow? I personally try to just put the wheel inside the wheel mark of the previous cut. I am guessing this should work when I am overlapping on the left side and fail when overlapping on the right side. And is that why clockwise cut is recommended, because that would always overlap on the left side? I dont believe it was conclusive that the clockwise cut was superior so I want to confirm that.

3. What settings do you use for mowing height? I have tall fescue cool season grass and I want to cut at 3" or higher. However, I could never figure out the cutting height of the mower. I read the manual and tried to measure but couldn't figure it out. I thought maybe im just an idiot. But now I realize, that if some of the grass isn't being cut, its hard to measure the cutting height!! So can someone give a suggestion on cutting height? I think it should be something like 3rd notch in the back and 2nd notch in the front. I believe that is 3" in the back and 2.5" in the front.

4. The clip director sometimes gets lose form the mulch position and goes to the bag position during operation. So my theory was that I am losing suction from that door being shaky and not closed properly. From reading this thread, it seems that is confirmed to not be an issue. Can someone just confirm that again? I still dont feel comfortable with that clip director and want to investigate how I can have the door closed securely during operation.

5. Does the cutting issue cause grass to die because it is left too long and then cut the following week or later? I have been trying to get a perfect lawn and I think I am doign a lot of things right, but the lawn doesnt seem to grow evenly. I have a lot of bare soil spots or burned looking spots. Some of the grass seems to be growing perfect and others seem to be struggling. All withing the same sq ft. I know it could be a lot of things and would be hard for you guys to diagnose, but I just want to know if you personally noticed what the effect of the uneven cutting did to your lawn. Or is it just a comestic thing that gets rectified a cut or two later with no harm to the grass?

6. Finally, let me know if you guys moved onto another mower and recommend it. I was thinking about the timemaster 30". However, I am not sure my 8500 sq ft lawn is big enough for that. I am worried it would be heavy and the turns would be rough on the grass. I have one section that is around 4k sq ft that it might be fine for, but another section aroudn 3k and another around 1.5k. And on some of the entryways, I have just bare dirt that I cant grow anything due to foot traffic and maybe this issue with the honda mower. So I dont know if going to a bigger size would make things worse or better at this point.

turf_toes
Grass Type: 77% Blueberry/23% Midnight Star KBG in front. Bewitched KBG monostand in back.

Post by turf_toes » June 1st, 2022, 4:58 pm

This is a 6-year-old thread. The nature of forums means a lot of these folks have simply moved on. You might be better off opening a new post.

MorpheusPA
Grass Type: Elite KBG
Lawn Size: 10000-20000
Level: Advanced

Post by MorpheusPA » June 1st, 2022, 7:00 pm

It's like Murder on the Orient Express. Everybody committed the murder. And We're Proud Of It.

But yes, open a new thread. :-)