California Trimmer vs. Tru Cut

The place for discussions about mowers, stripers, edgers, weeders, etc.
Tiff731
Grass Type: Tiff way-419
Lawn Size: Not Specified
Level: Not Specified

California Trimmer vs. Tru Cut

Post by Tiff731 » July 19th, 2015, 11:11 pm

I was just curious if anyone has used both a cal trimmer and Tru cut and what your preference is. I got a new Cal Trimmer 20" commercial this spring. I know the Tru cut is driven by the wheels while the CT is a refer roller drive. Im also aware you can use the wheel drive in the TC without engaging the blade, but I couldn't imagine needing that function. The biggest deciding factor for me was that I could only get the TC at one place locally and they only carried the home owner model. I was able to get the commercial CT so that's the direction I went.

Over all I'm happy with the CT. I Did have to adjust the reel to bed knife because it just wasn't cutting like it should. A friend got one at the same time with the same issue. After I did a slight adjustment it cuts well now.

I was very torn between the two. I hear a lot of good things about the TC, but I had no experience with them. Just curious if anyone has experience with both. Hope I didn't make the wrong choice.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image

Mightyquinn
Grass Type: Bermuda Tifway 419 Monostand

Re: California Trimmer vs. Tru Cut

Post by Mightyquinn » July 20th, 2015, 6:51 am

You are one of the few that has a Trimmer on here. I think a majority of everyone here has a TruCut or a Mclane for a reel mower and then a few of us have switched over to a greens mower. I don't think you can go wrong with any of them as the quality of cut is superior over a rotary mower. Will definitely look forward to hearing how it performs for you over the years and glad to have you on this forum as you will be able to give us some insight on the mower.

nickmg
Grass Type: Bermuda

Post by nickmg » July 21st, 2015, 5:30 am

I have an older 20inch Trimmer. Love the thing. I don't think you can go wrong as long as it is a reel mower. Truly is a night and day difference from rotary.

Tiff731

Post by Tiff731 » July 21st, 2015, 10:39 pm

Definitely no comparison to rotary. I haven't used a rotary in years. I had a 7 blade McLane I used until this season. Ran like a top and still does (can't decide to sell it or keep just to scalp with). I can definitely tell a difference between the new trimmer and the Mclane. Trimmer is a lot heavier and sturdier machine. The Mclane seemed to come out of adjustment very easily too. So far I've been happy with the trimmer even thought I had to adjust reel to bed knife and tighten the chain myself to get it right.

Tiff731

Post by Tiff731 » July 21st, 2015, 10:47 pm

How often should you have to adjust reel to bed knife contact under normal home use (3-4 times per week)? And how often should you back lap? I had a guy sharpen and backlap my Mclane once a year after scalping, but I plan on doing it myself on the trimmer (back lap, not sharpening). I feel like you would probably benefit by adjusting reel/bed knife contact every week or two and maybe backlap once every 4-6 weeks or so, but I dont know if that's too much or if there's any harm in back lapping that often.

mrmeaner
Grass Type: Celebration Bermuda

Post by mrmeaner » July 24th, 2015, 7:02 am

Hello, from Lubbock here as well. I bought my Tru Cut from probably the same place as you bought your Cal Trimmer. I got the commercial model and noticed they started carrying the Cal Trimmer line.

I have backslapped my TC twice and had it sharpened once in the two years I have owned it. I think it depends on how much use it gets, being on a home lawn once every six months mowing maybe needs to be back lapped. I would only have it gound/sharpened if it really is cutting poor and adjustments no longer work.

lbkcelebration
Grass Type: Celebration

Post by lbkcelebration » August 19th, 2017, 8:55 pm

Need help in Lubbock!

I have celebration and it's going pretty good into my second year. So good I don't think my mower is getting the job done. The grass is way too thick for the TORO I have. I'm guessing reel is the way to go. So what did you two decide, Trudgen's Cut or California Trimmer? Could use any help or advice you can offer.

Shane

mabehr
Grass Type: Tall Fescue, Kentucky Bluegrass

Post by mabehr » October 6th, 2017, 12:58 pm

Maybe you have a different type of grass than I do, but don’t all of those cut too low? I had looked at CalTrimmer a while back and it looked like the max height was 1-7/8”. I have a Fiskars StaySharp which lets me go up to 4 inches but definitely gives a workout...