Sprayer Wand

The place for discussions about mowers, stripers, edgers, weeders, etc.
Spammage
Grass Type: Zoysia/Bermuda
Lawn Size: Not Specified
Level: Not Specified

Re: Sprayer Wand

Post by Spammage » May 27th, 2016, 12:12 am

I think I know what you mean beedix, but to clarify, the XRC are for foliarly applied (contact) products. True "systemic" application would be with the AIC so the product is absorbed by the roots. For those wondering, the AIC is great for pre-emergent, insecticide, or systemic herbicides or fungicides to help get the product to the soil. The XRC is typically only best for contact herbicides or fungicides where you want the product to stay on the grass.

[ Post made via Android ] Image

Billybob
Grass Type: TTTF

Post by Billybob » May 27th, 2016, 7:35 am

^^^^^ Excellent info fellas.......leaning a lot.

SimonR
Grass Type: Santa Ana Couch

Post by SimonR » May 28th, 2016, 9:56 am

I pimped by wand yesterday on the recommendations in this thread. I ended up going with some equivalent Lechler (ER fan + AI fan) nozzles in place of the Teejet as that was what was available at my local spray shop.

Thanks DFW!!

GregGeis
Grass Type: St. Augustine

Post by GregGeis » June 20th, 2016, 5:41 pm

It looks like the tip recommendation is for a general purpose small droplet/even coverage for applying herbicides etc to the grass?

For insecticide application (Bifen) I was thinking something like a turbo jet nozzle that has larger droplets, less drift etc would be preferable since it probably isn't as important to have fine even droplet coverage? Do you have any other general recommended tips that cover most of your needs?

Thanks for the info, I'm definitely excited about this new toy, I've become increasingly annoyed by its limitations.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image

Ware
Grass Type: Bermuda

Post by Ware » June 20th, 2016, 7:28 pm

GregGeis wrote:It looks like the tip recommendation is for a general purpose small droplet/even coverage for applying herbicides etc to the grass?

For insecticide application (Bifen) I was thinking something like a turbo jet nozzle that has larger droplets, less drift etc would be preferable since it probably isn't as important to have fine even droplet coverage? Do you have any other general recommended tips that cover most of your needs?

Thanks for the info, I'm definitely excited about this new toy, I've become increasingly annoyed by its limitations.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
Here is a good chart for nozzle selection. If you click on it, it takes you to the catalog pages.

HitEmTrue

Post by HitEmTrue » July 5th, 2016, 5:05 pm

I got everything toward the tip end (yellow, blue, red, and brown tips) to go with my Chapin 62000 backpack.

The nozzle body (Quick TeeJet Adapter) will not tighten completely onto the end of the Chapin assembly. I'm using the optional Chapin 21 PSI regulator. It *almost* gets tight, and then gets loose again if it is turned clockwise too far. Leaks at that joint if it is bumped loose.

I like that the Chapin has a gauge on the handle, to help with knowing when to pump some more.

Really want to get this to work without spending over $100 more on CF valve and handle/wand assembly.

mtlcafan79
Grass Type: Zoysia/NoMix mutt mix

Post by mtlcafan79 » July 5th, 2016, 5:32 pm

I also use a Chapin 62000 backpack. The regular TeeJeet XR and AIXR tips fit in the stock wand just fine. With an AIXR11006 and an XR11006 I'm getting right at 1 gallon/K. I follow my 21" mower stripes and get good overlap for even coverage. No need to use tracker die or guess if I covered something. Works well for me so far.

HitEmTrue

Post by HitEmTrue » July 5th, 2016, 5:43 pm

Oh, you only replaced the tip? Kept the Chapin tip gasket?

In other words, you didn't use this at all (TeeJet 25612):

HitEmTrue

Post by HitEmTrue » July 5th, 2016, 6:12 pm

mtlcafan79 wrote:I also use a Chapin 62000 backpack. The regular TeeJeet XR and AIXR tips fit in the stock wand just fine. With an AIXR11006 and an XR11006 I'm getting right at 1 gallon/K.
I'm back!

How fast are you walking and how far above ground are you holding the tip? Are you aiming it straight down?

I'm getting about 1 gallon/K with a yellow tip, but holding it closer than 20" from ground to have less wind-drift.

LoneRanger
Grass Type: Front/Side - Emblem, Back - Panterra V

Post by LoneRanger » July 6th, 2016, 2:49 am

HitEmTrue wrote:It *almost* gets tight, and then gets loose again..
I believe the Chapin requires a 4x1/4 BSP fitting.

mtlcafan79
Grass Type: Zoysia/NoMix mutt mix

Post by mtlcafan79 » July 6th, 2016, 8:32 am

All I did was swap nozzles.

chrismar
Grass Type: Front: KBG / Back: TTTF
Lawn Size: 1 acre-2 acre
Level: Experienced

Post by chrismar » July 6th, 2016, 9:42 am

HitEmTrue wrote:I got everything toward the tip end (yellow, blue, red, and brown tips) to go with my Chapin 62000 backpack.

The nozzle body (Quick TeeJet Adapter) will not tighten completely onto the end of the Chapin assembly. I'm using the optional Chapin 21 PSI regulator. It *almost* gets tight, and then gets loose again if it is turned clockwise too far. Leaks at that joint if it is bumped loose.

I like that the Chapin has a gauge on the handle, to help with knowing when to pump some more.

Really want to get this to work without spending over $100 more on CF valve and handle/wand assembly.
I had problems with my stock Chapin backpack and the teejet stuff too. I ended up writing Chapin, and they said their sprayers have a custom thread and are not interchangeable with the third party stuff on the market. I used it for a season, and it worked just like yours, if I didn't over turn it or bump it it would be fine. At the beginning of this season I went ahead and bought the new wand and associated fittings, and things (including my sanity) are much better now.

Another thing to mention (not related to the above) is to remember to disassemble your wand, at least the fittings around the CF valve, at the end of the season before you store them for the winter. Especially if you live in a climate where it gets below freezing and you store your stuff outdoors or in an unheated space. Reason being is the CF valve can trap some water and freeze and bust up your CF valve and/or whatever's on either side of it. Ask me how I learned that lesson. :banghead:

HitEmTrue

Post by HitEmTrue » July 6th, 2016, 11:12 am

mtlcafan79 wrote:All I did was swap nozzles.
Cool...the tips I want to use are smaller and don't fit.

This is from the Chapin 20v thread:
bernstem wrote:For those looking to use the TeeJet spray nozzles, the spray wand is 11/16 threaded on the end, but the 45 degree angle for the end of the wand is not 11/16. I don't know what it is, but it is a fraction smaller so the TeeJet nozzles won't work. I have a new handle assembly on order, so that will solve that problem.
If it would work, an affordable option would be to simply get a new curved wand and take the plastic 45-degree angle piece out of the equation. Of course would have to get CF valve, too.

Then there's this thread where the threads on Chapin's CF valve work fine with TeeJet.

I should have started a new thread. Thanks for the input everyone.

HitEmTrue

Post by HitEmTrue » July 6th, 2016, 11:13 am

LoneRanger wrote:
HitEmTrue wrote:It *almost* gets tight, and then gets loose again..
I believe the Chapin requires a 4x1/4 BSP fitting.
4x1/4 BSP female, to 11/16-16 male? Searching...

HitEmTrue

Post by HitEmTrue » July 6th, 2016, 11:49 am

You folks may find this user's guide to spray nozzles interesting. It is a 29-page PDF document published by TeeJet.

sain6815
Grass Type: Fescue

Post by sain6815 » July 7th, 2016, 7:47 am

this is great!

I can't make a full upgrade right now, but I'm looking at buying a new 1 gallon sprayer at home depot. Would it be worth it to grab a 15psi CF valve and use the fan nozzle included with the sprayer?

Ware

Post by Ware » July 7th, 2016, 9:08 am

sain6815 wrote:this is great!

I can't make a full upgrade right now, but I'm looking at buying a new 1 gallon sprayer at home depot. Would it be worth it to grab a 15psi CF valve and use the fan nozzle included with the sprayer?
Sure, I think a CF Valve is probably the single best upgrade you could make to a sprayer. The three main variables in calibrating a sprayer are pressure, nozzle selection, and ground speed. If you're using a fan tip nozzle and a CF valve, you've essentially fixed 2 of those 3 variables.

Just make sure the threads on your sprayer wand match the threads of your CF valve. Proprietary threads are found on some sprayers. If you're buying new, I would probably consider purchasing a Chapin sprayer/Chapin CF valve to ensure thread compatibility.

sain6815
Grass Type: Fescue

Post by sain6815 » July 7th, 2016, 10:01 am

Awesome! Exactly what I was thinking on the Chapin. Grainier has the Chapin 15psi CF Valve on sale for $7.

Sent from my iOS device using the Yard Help App

LoneRanger
Grass Type: Front/Side - Emblem, Back - Panterra V

Post by LoneRanger » July 7th, 2016, 10:17 pm

I got the 21PSI from Zoro @ $13 shipped.

HitEmTrue

Post by HitEmTrue » July 15th, 2016, 12:13 pm

Talked with Chapin on the phone this morning regarding TeeJet adapter not quite fitting on their 62000 backpack sprayer.

If you purchase a sprayer from Chapin with the CF Valve, it does not come with the 11/16" adapter, because you already have everything you need. They prefer that folks not be modifying their product. I sorta get that.

If you purchase a Chapin CF valve separately, it comes with an adapter...so you can use it on a non-Chapin wand (if you have a non-Chapin sprayer).

They do not have the 11/16" adapters available to ship to customers, as everything comes pre-packaged from the manufacturer. The customer service rep was very helpful, and she was curious why I would want to use different tips than they provide. So I told her. :) I explained the 11/16" compatibility, to allow use of other manufacturers products (specifically, TeeJet), would be a great selling feature.

The Chapin CF Valve on Amazonsays it is 3/8", which is much too small to work on my sprayer. Chapin rep tells me that it actually comes with 2-adapters, and assures me that is the same CF valve that I currently have.

I will know if it works tonight. Amazon prime is pretty cool, especially living near an Amazon shipping point.