Sprayer Wand

The place for discussions about mowers, stripers, edgers, weeders, etc.
dfw_pilot
Grass Type: U3 Bermuda
Lawn Size: Not Specified
Level: Not Specified

Sprayer Wand

Post by dfw_pilot » May 12th, 2016, 12:13 am

Spraying costly and powerful herbicides like Celsius, Tenacity and Certainty require precision. You don't want to harm your turf by using a tip that produces drips or puts out too much product, even when spot spraying. You've invested in your turf, take care of it.

Start by watching these excellent videos on the important principles of spraying. It's a fantastic series that explains the steps to getting this right. It talks about the different tips available that make the difference between spraying 4 gallons over 5k or 10k. Don't like to refill so often? Watch the videos. Droplet size directly affects coverage, and that comes from selecting the proper tip for the job.

Finally, whether you have a one gallon pump sprayer or a backpack sprayer, get yourself setup properly on the business end. This setup, with the nozzle body, will allow you to swap tips and caps, depending on what rate you want to spray. Eventually, you'll have a whole set of tips and swapping them out to spray something different each day of the week will be a snap. Here's a handy tip chart for spraying rates.

Get this TeeJet tip.

Get this TeeJet cap, or this TeeJet cap, which allows rotation of the tip (thank you, Ware)

Get this nozzle body.

Get a couple CF Valves. I like the 15 psi yellow because I use a 1 gallon hand pump sprayer. If you use a backpack, you might like the 21 psi red one. I got both, just make sure they are 11/16ths thread.

You'll also be happy with this wand, this trigger, this handle, and this swivel barb. For extra credit, you can buy a strainer to cut down on clogs.

Drop the tip into the cap, and the strainer into the nozzle body. Screw the cap into the nozzle body and connect the body to the CF valve. Screw the CF valve onto the wand and screw the wand onto the trigger. With Teflon tape, connect the trigger to the handle, and with more tape, connect the handle to the swivel barb (yes, the swivel is safe and sturdy). Clamp the barb to your hose and you're off to the races.

Again: Hose and Clamp->Swivel Barb->Thread Tape->Handle->Thread Tape->Trigger->Wand->CF Valve->Nozzle Body->Filter->Cap->Tip

Here are some pics since everyone loves them. Maybe it will help or encourage someone down the line. This info is spread all over the site so I wanted a simple thread to put it all together, and can vouch for this system because I use it each month.

dfw

ImageImageImage

new to this
Grass Type: KBG Front, PRG Back

Re: Sprayer Wand

Post by new to this » May 12th, 2016, 6:04 am

Thanks, great info.

Redtenchu
Grass Type: Bermuda

Post by Redtenchu » May 12th, 2016, 7:29 am

:good:

paulr
Grass Type: Northern Mix

Post by paulr » May 12th, 2016, 8:53 am

Bookmarked this post, thank you!

Paul

desirous

Post by desirous » May 12th, 2016, 9:21 am

That's very helpful. What hose would you recommend?

Ware

Hose

Post by Ware » May 12th, 2016, 9:43 am

desirous wrote:That's very helpful. What hose would you recommend?
I used the original 3/8" hose that was on my Stihl SG 20 when I built this wand. You could use something like this or this though.

Image Image

For hose clamps, I prefer stainless pinch clamps; however, they require a pincer to install. The advantage to this clamp style is they are less prone to snag on clothing, etc. than a worm gear clamp.

Image Image
Last edited by Ware on May 12th, 2016, 10:01 am, edited 2 times in total.

Ware

CF Valves

Post by Ware » May 12th, 2016, 9:57 am

dfw_pilot wrote:...Get a couple CF Valves. I like the 15 psi yellow because I use a 1 gallon hand pump sprayer. If you use a backpack, you might like the 21 psi red one. I got both, just make sure they are 11/16ths thread...
Backpack sprayers with piston pumps are typically capable of higher pressures - I think the specs on my SG 20 say 40psi (+/- 10%). So you can use a blue 29 psi CF Valve if you need it to get the droplet size or flow you are looking for, but I have found the red 21 psi CF valve to be more comfortable from a pumping standpoint.

dfw_pilot
Grass Type: U3 Bermuda

Pinch Clamps

Post by dfw_pilot » May 12th, 2016, 12:30 pm

+1 on the pinch clamps. I didn't use them because after a hardware store and two Lowe's and Home Depot visits, no one had any. The guys in the video recommend them, too. I should have looked online.

Pete1313
Grass Type: Bewitched KBG
Lawn Size: 20000-1 acre
Level: Advanced

Post by Pete1313 » May 12th, 2016, 2:38 pm

Excellent post DFW! Great info for anyone looking to do precision spraying. :good:

[ Post made via Android ] Image

Ware

Calibration Container

Post by Ware » May 12th, 2016, 9:59 pm

For anyone ordering the parts dfw mentioned above, I would also recommend one of these calibration containers. They're not cheap, but they are graduated in one ounce marks up to 64oz. They are very handy for doing calibrations.

Main_sail22
Grass Type: Zeon Zoysia

Post by Main_sail22 » May 20th, 2016, 11:42 am

This is an awesome post DFW...As I begin to venture down the rabbit hole, I am now beginning to look at upgrading my gear and a sprayer is deff. one I am looking at first. Great info here.

gijoe4500

Post by gijoe4500 » May 20th, 2016, 2:04 pm

Thanks for the list DFW_Pilot. Just placed my order through Spray Smarter for all these parts. Saved me about $30 going that route over sprayer depot.

Hopefully this will all work well with the Chapin/B&D battery powered backpack sprayer. I've got some weeds needing some more Celsius!

Redtenchu

Post by Redtenchu » May 20th, 2016, 2:09 pm

gijoe4500 wrote: Hopefully this will all work well with the Chapin/B&D battery powered backpack sprayer. I've got some weeds needing some more Celsius!
I plan to get the same battery powered sprayer, how do you like it so far?

gijoe4500

Post by gijoe4500 » May 20th, 2016, 2:11 pm

Redtenchu wrote:
gijoe4500 wrote: Hopefully this will all work well with the Chapin/B&D battery powered backpack sprayer. I've got some weeds needing some more Celsius!
I plan to get the same battery powered sprayer, how do you like it so far?
Don't know yet. Put the amazon order in about 15 minutes ago. haha

Ware

Post by Ware » May 20th, 2016, 4:40 pm

gijoe4500 wrote:...Hopefully this will all work well with the Chapin/B&D battery powered backpack sprayer...
I'm curious how the use of a CF valve to regulate nozzle pressure would interact with the pump on the battery-powered Chapin. If it's a positive displacement pump, it could get tricky.

This would probably be a good question for Chapin before someone tries it...

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image

Southernguy311
Grass Type: Platinum TE Paspalum up front and Bermuda in the rear

Post by Southernguy311 » May 20th, 2016, 8:27 pm

I have the sprayer in question and find using it very easy. I've sprayed with it probably 20 times since I purchased it.

Steverino

Post by Steverino » May 20th, 2016, 11:33 pm

Thanks for the original post here, dfw_pilot. While I have not had a chance to use it because of rain, I just want to comment on the fantastic customer service from sprayerdepot.com . I ordered all the parts except the cf valve. They were out of stock on the 26” wand and called me and emailed me to offer me a free upgrade to a swivel head type or a 30" type and ship on rather than wait a week for the backorder. I sent them a quick email back and got the 30" as a substitution. It was send immediately from sprayerdepot.com and without any delay whatsoever. (I got the cf valve from minnesotawanner.com, who shipped to me quickly and correctly)

[ Post made via Android ] Image

TimmyG
Lawn Size: 20000-1 acre
Level: Experienced

Post by TimmyG » May 23rd, 2016, 11:43 am

Ware wrote:I'm curious how the use of a CF valve to regulate nozzle pressure would interact with the pump on the battery-powered Chapin. If it's a positive displacement pump, it could get tricky.

This would probably be a good question for Chapin before someone tries it...
Charley addressed this last year:
http://aroundtheyard.com/equipment/chap ... ml#p245657

Billybob
Grass Type: TTTF

Post by Billybob » May 26th, 2016, 12:47 pm

Thanks DFW I took your advice and placed an order for the set up u recommended.

Looking forward to using it n I'm sure I buy more tips in the future.

beedix
Grass Type: Front - Bermuda, Back - Palisades Zoysia

Post by beedix » May 26th, 2016, 10:16 pm

I do not recommend a CF valve for the Chapin battery sprayers. They regulate nicely at 35psi with predictable coverage. I primarily use the brown AIC tips for preM and XRC for systemic apps.

I thought I read about one person on this site damaging their pump through CF valve use (last year).

Sent from my iOS device using the Yard Help App