String trimmer edging technique?

The place for discussions about mowers, stripers, edgers, weeders, etc.
GregGeis
Grass Type: St. Augustine
Lawn Size: Not Specified
Level: Not Specified

String trimmer edging technique?

Post by GregGeis » June 1st, 2016, 10:41 am

I'm trying to get quicker and cleaner with my trimmer as an edger, maybe half as good as good yard guys make it look.

Which direction do you guys find works best to edge? Where the rotation is pulling you along or pushing against you? I feel like I dig in and make more mistakes when it is pushing against me, but it seems a little cleaner for a single pass.

Do you tend to walk on the pavement or grass if you have the choice?

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image

tlinden
Grass Type: Bewitched, Blue Velvet, Prosperity

Re: String trimmer edging technique?

Post by tlinden » June 1st, 2016, 11:41 am

This is how I edge:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y96btLg5Z_E

I haven't seen anyone else edge that way, but it works for me. As for which side, pavement or not, I haven't figured that one out yet. I guess both work OK for me.

BoatDrinksQ5
Grass Type: 9k of KBG (2013 sod) Blue-tastic, Corsair, BlackJack, Empire

Post by BoatDrinksQ5 » June 1st, 2016, 12:20 pm

I go with the pull... standing in the grass. I leave the head of trimmer in its normal operating position (not 'edger mode'), but angle it as much as I can, using the metal edge guard to help guide a bit.

Does get away from me sometime and get into the yard... but not biggy for the most part.

I notice some people in my area stand in street/driveway... and then have trimmer in 'normal operating mode' and have string parralel to ground, almost skipping off pavement...and trim grass close to ground for the first 1-3" of the yard... eventually the grass deals with the uber short trimming... Looks a bit odd to me to have a few inches of super short grass next to sidewalk. :confused: Others put down a pretty good trench next to the walkway (cut out 1/2" of dirt...2" down...) which helps maintain the curb area a bit. I do that a little for driveway (cuts down on grass growing into asphalt) but not anywhere else.

GregGeis

Post by GregGeis » June 1st, 2016, 2:13 pm

tlinden wrote:This is how I edge:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y96btLg5Z_E

I haven't seen anyone else edge that way, but it works for me. As for which side, pavement or not, I haven't figured that one out yet. I guess both work OK for me.
I like the look of that, I think I could have more control using my front hand below the handle, especially if it starts to kick out of line. I'll have to give it a shot when it dries out a bit.

dfw_pilot
Grass Type: U3 Bermuda

YouTube Music

Post by dfw_pilot » June 1st, 2016, 3:25 pm

Once again, nice music, Tim.

String trimming is certainly different when the grass is 3-4" vs a half inch.

tlinden
Grass Type: Bewitched, Blue Velvet, Prosperity

Post by tlinden » June 1st, 2016, 8:37 pm

Lol thx I'm having more fun showing family my craziness. My only problem now is vid editing is taking up time I'd normally be doing lawn stuff =P

Back to topic.. Either way if you go slow you get better at it. Its a huge pain at first but I've been getting faster. I used to only edge when no neighbors were home cuz it was embarrasingly slow lol but IMO worth it to get the skill

[ Post made via Android ] Image

GregGeis

Post by GregGeis » June 1st, 2016, 9:53 pm

I tried it out this evening and it worked great for me. It was a lot easier to keep my line and stay smooth and plenty fast. I struggled a bit more when I went to my neighbors St Augustine that doesn't have an edge cut, but that would have been difficult any way I held it. Anyway, thanks for showing me a new technique!

Jacob_S
Grass Type: Front centipede celebration bermuda blend/ Back a blend of Tifway419 and common seeded

Post by Jacob_S » June 2nd, 2016, 4:40 pm

I hold mine low like I would for normal trimming, but turn it 90* in my hands. The head and string will be perpendicular to the ground, I then walk backwards. I find holding it low like this lets me have good control and walking backwards isn't hard, I thought it would be when I was first told to try it this way but I got used to it quick.