Wheel to wheel?

The place for discussions about mowers, stripers, edgers, weeders, etc.
tlinden
Grass Type: Bewitched, Blue Velvet, Prosperity
Lawn Size: Not Specified
Level: Not Specified

Re: Wheel to wheel?

Post by tlinden » August 13th, 2016, 5:28 pm

Yes the pros have different goals, get in and get out etc. I don't think any of them are ooing and ahhing and baby talking to their grass. Or is that just me?

Kmartel
Grass Type: KBG/PR

Post by Kmartel » August 13th, 2016, 5:40 pm

I know on a lesco spreader you need WTW application in order to achieve an even application rate. I would image most broadcast spreaders are the same way.

Sent from my iOS device using the Yard Help App

Michael Wise
Grass Type: Tifway 419

Post by Michael Wise » August 13th, 2016, 5:53 pm

What is the technique called when you are trying to get the last 10 granules out and you're bunny hopping the spreader?

Nixnix42
Grass Type: Bermuda

Post by Nixnix42 » August 13th, 2016, 6:08 pm

Da MW shuffle :)

Billy
Grass Type: Cool season and warm season

Post by Billy » August 13th, 2016, 6:19 pm

tlinden wrote:Hi guys

I've seen multiple places say to use a spreader by spreading wheel to wheel. What I don't understand is if you do that isn't it putting down double the material?

I've always done it so the product overlaps a bit so if it spreads 4ft then I pass every 4ft but wheel to wheel would be half that.

On top of that my method lines up with suggested spreader settings. I'm wondering if I am missing something..

Tim
Sorry that we're not doing a good job at staying on topic for your thread. We should have some moderators or admins that help everyone stay on topic.
dfw_pilot wrote:I use the WTS method . . .
I've used that one! These days, I'm using more and more of the WTH and WTF methods, too!
turf_toes wrote:Would be nice to see everyone's own yard (at least the ones posting here). Many of the regulars here can be seen on the home page of the site.

Let's see pics of your own lawn?

Results are what counts, right?
I haven't posted pictures of my own lawn for a couple of reasons, with the largest one being that I don't know how to post a picture here.

But, I don't see anything to gain from posting a picture here. When I posted the "How to Interpret Your Own Soil Test Report" thread, I saw a lot of nitpicking on my statements, and when I backed them up with evidence, some posters thought they should either attack me personally or totally dismiss the sources I linked with no additive discussion other that "I don't believe it" or "we're lawn enthusiasts, so we know better than that."

So, if I post a photo of my lawn, I can probably expect that you'll want to nitpick details and when you point out something that doesn't look the way you think it should, I'll tell you what it is and you won't believe it. Or, if I post a picture where maybe I've been out of town and missed a mowing (thus leaving some scalp marks on the next time I mow), I'm sure you'll be the first to repost that picture on any thread that I may comment on.

I could post some pictures from other jobs I've had before, but someone will just dismiss those perfect golf courses or athletic fields as somehow being inferior to their lawn. I could post some pictures of turf from places with which I consult (in my semi-retired consulting gig), but I can just imagine the types of nitpicking and personal attacks that would accompany those.

But, most of all, I think I can be assured that nothing I could post would change your mind or make you think, "hey, this guy might just know what he's talking about." If the loads of professional references, scientific papers, and university publications didn't convince you, a photo or two won't do it, either.

In my opinion, the best endorsement I've had on this site has been all the emails, PMs, and posts your members have left for me saying that they thought my posts made sense, helped them to better understand how to care for their lawns, and produced equal or better results without all the hassle. To me, that means much more than a photo.

turf_toes
Grass Type: 77% Blueberry/23% Midnight Star KBG in front. Bewitched KBG monostand in back.

Wheel to wheel?

Post by turf_toes » August 13th, 2016, 6:24 pm

No need to be sensitive, Billy. I'll take that post as your telling us you won't be showing us a picture of you home lawn.

MW, I call it the bunny hop.

Mightyquinn
Grass Type: Bermuda Tifway 419 Monostand

Post by Mightyquinn » August 13th, 2016, 6:56 pm

Lol TT!!!!:). The bunny hop!!! I'm guilty of that too!!!

REEL MEN MOW

Spammage
Grass Type: Zoysia/Bermuda

Post by Spammage » August 13th, 2016, 7:10 pm

I'm with DFW-pilot here. Wheel-to-swath gives me what I feel is adequate balance to the spread. Yes, I could reduce the amount of material I'm throwing at one time and tighten up the spacing, but I've never seen any striping or unusual growth patterns in my yard to make me believe I'm not getting good and even coverage.

ps - nevermind, I got the pics to work.

[ Post made via Android ] Image

Billy
Grass Type: Cool season and warm season

Post by Billy » August 13th, 2016, 7:13 pm

I thought the WTS part was a joke. What do you mean by "wheel to swath"? I've never heard that one before.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image

Spammage

Post by Spammage » August 13th, 2016, 7:19 pm

It may have been for him, only he can answer that one. I set the wheel at the edge of the last swath, so effectively then I'm spreading back to the edge of the last path as well. Is this what you are saying is WTW?

ken-n-nancy
Grass Type: Front: KBG (Bewitched+Prosperity); Side: Bewitched KBG; Back: Fine Fescue Blend + Prosperity
Lawn Size: 10000-20000
Level: Experienced

Post by ken-n-nancy » August 13th, 2016, 7:19 pm

Billy wrote:But, most of all, I think I can be assured that nothing I could post would change your mind or make you think, "hey, this guy might just know what he's talking about." If the loads of professional references, scientific papers, and university publications didn't convince you, a photo or two won't do it, either.
I hope I haven't left you with the impression that I don't value your postings and experience. My earlier message in this thread was supposed to convey the fact that I do appreciate your experience and perspective.

I just think it'd be good to skip the attitude of treating everybody that isn't a turf professional as a "country bumpkin" who can't possibly know anything about lawn care.

In any case, you won't hear me mention the "pretentious attitude" topic again. You've either listened to my perspective (rant?) which was intended to be constructive advice and let it soak in for positive benefit, or you haven't (in which case my mentioning it again isn't going to help.)
Billy wrote:
dfw_pilot wrote:I use the WTS method . . .
I've used that one! These days, I'm using more and more of the WTH and WTF methods, too!
Believe it or not, after reading dfw's post, I was going to make the same WTH and WTF joke -- you beat me to it! ;)

Back on the topic of lawns, we need to figure out which of these spreading techniques to use -- we're due to spread some fertilizer on the lawn tomorrow! (Although the current heat wave has us thinking of waiting a few more days.) Guess we better use the drop spreader and just avoid this whole WTW, WTS, STS issue! :|

tlinden

Post by tlinden » August 13th, 2016, 8:52 pm

Billy wrote:and produced equal or better results without all the hassle. To me, that means much more than a photo.
This, this right there is why you keep getting push back. Everyone else will give an opinion and leave it at that. You keep infering that you're superior than anyone else. I could care less if people do their own soil test, but there's no way they have gotten better results already. Soil ammendments don't work overnight. But you are above me so I can't dispute that..

When you said something was a waste of time and I said that's OK by me because I'm a lawn enthusiast and I like taking more time to do things you continued to say why I was wrong..

This isn't some contest so just get over it already people do lawn care a different way than you, its OK. I'd like to be able to have conversations about lawn topics without constant digs.

dfw_pilot
Grass Type: U3 Bermuda

Wheel to Swath?

Post by dfw_pilot » August 14th, 2016, 1:18 am

I was only half joking about WTS, but like Spammage said:
Spammage wrote:I set the wheel at the edge of the last swath, so effectively then I'm spreading back to the edge of the last path as well.
This is exactly what I do; seems to work great. Since the acronyms are flying in this thread, I'll call it the DFW/S-WTS method. :)

Pete1313
Grass Type: Bewitched KBG
Lawn Size: 20000-1 acre
Level: Advanced

Post by Pete1313 » August 14th, 2016, 7:28 am

Spammage wrote:I've never seen any striping or unusual growth patterns in my yard

Um.. I see alittle striping in this pic. :no:
Looks really good Spammage! :good:

TimmyG
Grass Type: Northern Mix
Lawn Size: 20000-1 acre
Level: Experienced

Re: Wheel to Swath?

Post by TimmyG » August 14th, 2016, 9:12 pm

dfw_pilot wrote:I was only half joking about WTS, but like Spammage said:
Spammage wrote:I set the wheel at the edge of the last swath, so effectively then I'm spreading back to the edge of the last path as well.
This is exactly what I do; seems to work great. Since the acronyms are flying in this thread, I'll call it the DFW/S-WTS method. :)
That's how WTW was defined, with 50% overlap. Works great.

Spammage

Post by Spammage » August 14th, 2016, 10:35 pm

Ok, guess I just read over it to quickly. I was thinking literally as wheel-to-wheel like a drop spreader. I am throwing material wheel-to-wheel though.

tlinden

Post by tlinden » August 15th, 2016, 8:24 am

But which wheel?

lol