2nd Gen 16 Zone Rachio Controller

The place for discussions about mowers, stripers, edgers, weeders, etc.
HoosierLawnGnome
Grass Type: Blueberry KBG
Lawn Size: 1 acre-2 acre
Level: Advanced

2nd Gen 16 Zone Rachio Controller

Post by HoosierLawnGnome » September 20th, 2016, 2:10 pm

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0198 ... UTF8&psc=1

I just pulled the trigger on one today, and will be installing it tonight. :yahoo:

I really wish it also had a manual interface at the controller, but I'm sure I'll adapt.

16 zones without an expansion pack is a plus too! Should be an easy setup!

------------------------------------------

I'll start my review by saying I ordered this off Amazon Prime and got free same day shipping. That's right. I ordered it late morning and they delivered it at 2045 hrs. :good: Now if only I were in the Prime Now zone!

I irrigate 60,000+ sf of cool season turf via a 14 zone system that runs off a Grundfos well pump.

I installed it tonight. I'm pretty handy with electrical work and technology in general. It took me about 45 minutes to get the unit wired up on the wall. Mostly because I took extra time to tape each wire with the number of the zone rather than rely on color alone. With 14 zones too many colors are similar. It took another half hour to get an account created and the application installed on my Android device.

The unit is definitely not designed for manual use at the unit like it's predecessor was. The plastic is not heavy duty. The wire connections are not screwed down and as tight more traditional controllers are. The bag of hardware was missing one of the screws for the wall anchors. I improvised with a drywall screw that doesn't match which was mildly dissappointing.

The unit was about 40 ft from my dual band router but had no problems connecting and staying connected to my wifi. Great reception. My cell phone wifi was getting intermittent wifi connectivity in the same spot.

Setting up each zone and testing took another 45 minutes. I didn't make any wiring mistakes but the software would take some time to reconnect to the unit when my wifi and cell signal would switch back and fOrth as i wandrew in amd out of wifive range. So I had to run the tests a few times on certain zones.

Integration with my smart home is amazing. I can water the grass by voice alone. Rachio doesn't support natively running a schedule program via Amazon Alexa which is disappointing. To work around this I built an IFTTT trigger to run certain programs. Now I can say "Alexa trigger syringing the grass" or "Alexa trigger watering my urea in" and I don't have to find my phone or run out to the console. Hell I can turn on the sprinklers with my voice from the back porch while smoking a bowl of aged Virginia in my briar pipe while sipping a 12 year just to watch them. it's glorious.

I created a custom nozzle with the manufacturer specs for my nozzles, entered the soil type, and as accurate config data as I could to see how the smart schedule would compare with what I know to be reality. I've measured with sprinkler system water gages and have most zones pretty accurate at this point. The Rachio did a decent job of calculating zones relevant to one another but frankly my manual testing was more fine tuned. I would still recommend the ol tuna can method to calculate times per zone. Their software doesn't account for partial rotor angles etc.

Wink integration is ok but not great. I can't create a shortcut to run a zone or program a robot to use it. It would be nice to have a shortcut I can hit on thw wink relay in my office so I could kick off a program when I'm on a conference call or don't want to wake someone with a voice command when my phone is docked on a speaker device.

It would also be nice to have my syringe program kick off between say 3 and 4 when temps exceed a certain threshold.

I'll review more later but the Smart Home integration, set up time, and app are great so far. the materials are a bit flimsy but that's OK since they don't really want you to use the controller to manually turn knobs nor do I.

The voice control via Amazon Alexa is really really cool.

Previous rainbird controller that had stronger plastic and screw tightened wire connections

Bag missing a screw

I highly recommend folding a piece of tape over each wire with the zone number on it before disconnecting.

All wired up and functional.
Last edited by HoosierLawnGnome on September 22nd, 2016, 11:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

HoosierLawnGnome

Re: 2nd Gen 16 Zone Rachio Controller

Post by HoosierLawnGnome » September 20th, 2016, 2:11 pm

Placeholder for review.

HoosierLawnGnome

Placeholder for review.

HoosierLawnGnome

Placeholder for review.

chrismar
Grass Type: Front: KBG / Back: TTTF
Level: Experienced

Post by chrismar » September 20th, 2016, 3:11 pm

I've had my eye on this for a while. Looking forward to the review!

vnephologist
Grass Type: TTTF-->KBG
Lawn Size: Not Specified
Level: Not Specified

Post by vnephologist » September 20th, 2016, 9:27 pm

You'll love it! I installed irrigation myself this Fall and used the money I saved to purchase a Rachio. To get the full benefit you'll want to choose your weather station wisely. I'm a bit of a weather enthusiast, so I actually use mine in conjunction with my own personal weather station. Feel free to PM me if you want to discuss.

HoosierLawnGnome

Post by HoosierLawnGnome » September 20th, 2016, 10:01 pm

I prefer to keep knowledge on the forums really. I have a PWS bUT not sure if it will integrate. I'm interested in what your setup is of course.

I tend to look at the ground to determine whether I need to water a lot as my soil dries out easily. I may try the smart watering just to do it but not sure I will set it and forget it.

[ Post made via Android ] Image

Atc4usmc
Grass Type: Bermuda

Post by Atc4usmc » September 21st, 2016, 10:50 pm

You will enjoy it like others have said. FWIW - It does have the ability to run zones directly from the unit. Good luck and enjoy!

HoosierLawnGnome

Post by HoosierLawnGnome » September 21st, 2016, 11:47 pm

I saw that on the face last night. Got it too late to install. At least I know I can run a zine if I need to when I don't have my phone.

I'm integrating this into my smart home so it shouldn't be an issue controlling it without my phone regardless.

chrismar
Grass Type: Front: KBG / Back: TTTF
Level: Experienced

Post by chrismar » September 22nd, 2016, 11:47 am

HoosierLawnGnome wrote:... I'm integrating this into my smart home so it shouldn't be an issue controlling it without my phone regardless.

What other sort of smart home things do you have? I've been toying with the idea of doing some "smart home"ish things, but I'm still not 100% convinced I see a real benefit.

HoosierLawnGnome

Post by HoosierLawnGnome » September 22nd, 2016, 1:36 pm

I have a bunch of different gizmos but the thing I like the most is voice control of lighting and other devices. No more getting up to switch off a light in another room or playing with the lights for 5 minutes before a dinner party etc

andy10917
Grass Type: Emblem KBG (Front); Blueberry KBG Monostand (Back)

Post by andy10917 » May 21st, 2017, 5:34 pm

I got sick and tired of trying to keep my two Irrigation Caddies out of each other's hair, and Rachio is now bragging that the Alexa integration is now there, so Mrs 10917 can easily deal with it when I travel. So I pulled the trigger on the 16 zone Gen 2.

HoosierLawnGnome

Post by HoosierLawnGnome » May 22nd, 2017, 8:42 am

andy10917 wrote:
May 21st, 2017, 5:34 pm
I got sick and tired of trying to keep my two Irrigation Caddies out of each other's hair, and Rachio is now bragging that the Alexa integration is now there, so Mrs 10917 can easily deal with it when I travel. So I pulled the trigger on the 16 zone Gen 2.
Congrats, Andy!

I'm a fan of mine so far - what do you think?

There are a few features in the software I think are lacking, but the Alexa integration and ability for me to run the zones from out in the yard are really handy. It took a long time to work on the irrigation zones from the far part of the yard last season lol.

One feature I think is missing: the ability to run more than 1 zone manually for a set number of minutes. I.E. Run zones 4,5,12,13 for 10 minutes - nope, you have to do each one individually.

I also think the default settings are "too smart" if you will - it automatically does seasonal adjustment and can use a selectable weather gauge to shut off watering. I'd like to get my own weather station in my yard for this.

Anyways - curious to know what your thoughts are once it's up and running. The Alexa integration is a "wow factor" - my guests like to see me water the lawn from the living room hahaha.

andy10917

Post by andy10917 » May 22nd, 2017, 8:40 pm

I don't have it yet. Mrs 10917 urged me to throw in the towel yesterday. The ability for her to control it easily in my absence was a push over the edge.

g-man
Grass Type: Mix (mostly KBG)

Post by g-man » May 22nd, 2017, 10:04 pm

^ she won't need to control it. You can from the app.

Fyi I noticed Amazon has a $50 gift card promo going on.

andy10917

Post by andy10917 » May 22nd, 2017, 10:14 pm

I know all about the controller apps on my Android. It doesn't do me or Mrs 10917 any good if I'm in a meeting in Buffalo and she is looking at a problem at home 10' from where she is standing.

HoosierLawnGnome

Post by HoosierLawnGnome » May 23rd, 2017, 12:36 pm

You can also put an old iPad on the wall with a $10 mount and run the app from there. I put the app on all my wife's devices too. My kids like to tell Alexa what to do ahahaha.

Hey andy - if you get into Alexa, check out IFTT to use with it.

"Alexa, trigger 'water in fertilizer'" <--- one of my favorites

andy10917

Post by andy10917 » May 29th, 2017, 5:04 pm

OK, Rachio is installed and working. I like it alot, but I suspect it was designed by people that never watered a yard -- second generation and you can't group zones like "Front Yard Zones" and "Back Yard Zones"?

Alexa integration went well. I will invent some "special custom phrases" with IFTTT ;-)

drawz
Grass Type: Northern Mix
Lawn Size: 3000-5000
Level: Some Experience

Post by drawz » May 30th, 2017, 11:12 pm

I like my Rain Machine in part for the local control right on the device. It's also not dependent on cloud servers (still works if there is a loss of internet connectivity, company goes out of business, cloud servers down, etc.). Rachio does seem to have a better app though.

mabehr
Grass Type: Tall Fescue, Kentucky Bluegrass

Post by mabehr » October 24th, 2017, 10:23 am

How did it work for you? I've had issues with the smart watering program. It...just doesn't seem that smart.