Picked up a triplex

The place for discussions about mowers, stripers, edgers, weeders, etc.
wardconnor
Grass Type: KBG, PRG
Lawn Size: Not Specified
Level: Not Specified

Re: Picked up a triplex at auction

Post by wardconnor » October 5th, 2016, 9:39 pm

Pete1313
Grass Type: Bewitched KBG
Lawn Size: 20000-1 acre
Level: Advanced

Post by Pete1313 » October 6th, 2016, 7:11 am

Nice job. I have seen the levelawn ones before, it sure does look alot like it. :good:

[ Post made via Android ] Image

wardconnor

Post by wardconnor » November 8th, 2016, 11:43 pm

Pete

Any update on your leveling project with the plug cores concept?

Pete1313

Post by Pete1313 » November 9th, 2016, 1:32 am

No update on the leveling project. It will be something I plan on doing during the renovation next year. I plan on building a drag setup this winter and will be loosly based off of the mg72 groomer.
https://youtu.be/fmu4Cja7gJY
If it works ok, I'll make a thread on it and share.

I cut with the triplex for the last time of the year this past weekend. Current bench HOC is at 1.125". So far there has been no scalping and I am really impressed on how the old NoMix has been handling it.

Pete1313

Re: Picked up a triplex-Rebuilding

Post by Pete1313 » December 18th, 2016, 1:09 pm

Now that the snow is here and it is currently 0°F outside, now is a good time to go thru the machine and do some reconditioning. I was able to get quite a few cuts with it in the fall and gauge what shape it is in, how it performed around the property, and start figuring out what needs to be addressed. The engine, chassis, and hydraulics on the machine are in great shape. No leaks, everything is working very smoothly, and the engine cylinder leakage and compression tests were very good (<5% leakage, 180-185 compression). The only things I'll be doing on the engine/chassis itself are the PMs (change oil/coolant, tune up, change hydro fluid). And I already changed the smooth tires to turfs.

After figuring out that the 2500B was going to be a good fit for the property, and that I was already able to cut the NoMix at 1.125" before any renovations, I am currently rebuilding the cutting units. The goal is to set them up to maintain KBG between .5"-1" bench HOC.

First off I basically stripped each cutting unit down, spent a lot of time with parts in the solvent tank, made a rust removing bath for the rusted parts, and any rusted painted parts were stripped, primed, and painted. Then every threaded surface had a tap or die run across it before applying some fluid film. Sorry no before pics, but here is what a cutting unit looked like just before reassembly.

Here are some pics of the groomer assembly that I am excited to try out. I converted the greens setup to a fairway setup.

Old spacers and knives removed.

Difference between greens knife and fairway knife.

Assembled unit with knives now spaced 1/2" apart opposed to 1/4" apart before.

I had to do some work inside the conditioner drives. They would intermittently work. There is a tapered brass bushing that works similar to how a synchro works in a manual transmission. It is under the gear the screwdriver is pointing to. When pressure is put on that bushing it locks the gear to the shaft. They were worn and needed attention. I also found a cracked bearing and partially sheared off keyway in one of the units.

I measured the reels and they were all around 4.7"(5" is new). They cut ok, but would have needed a grind before next year. Because they needed a grind, are over half worn, and that I wanted to see how well a new reel cut, I decided to splurge and get new reels.

Old reels

How JD packages the new reels

I replaced all the reel bearings, and seals. As well as all the seals on the conditioner drives.

Here is a pic of a rusty old bearing compared to new. I think the course that had this machine needs to rethink their greasing interval.

Replaced the bedknives from the low cut greens knife(not sure why they were even paired with a 7 blade reel?) To a high cut fairway knife. Notice the difference in design, and how much thicker the fairway knife is. Also the top face and front faces are wider.

Last edited by Pete1313 on December 18th, 2016, 1:48 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Pete1313

Post by Pete1313 » December 18th, 2016, 1:21 pm

Here is some pics of them fully assembled, adjusted and just awaiting a backlap in the spring

In this pic you can see I ditched the rear power brush and as a result I had to add the appropriate counterweight.

Here you can see the new bedbar pivot cam, bolt, and hardware.

Here you can see I got rid of the smooth hollow rollers on the rear, I moved the solid smooth rollers that were previously on the front to the back, and added some new grooved rollers to the front.

Some additional pics.

wardconnor

Post by wardconnor » December 21st, 2016, 2:00 am

Holy awesome... Nice work!

J_nick
Grass Type: Bermuda

Post by J_nick » December 24th, 2016, 12:19 pm

Awesome work Pete! Ware wanted to let you know that Toro recommends using anti-seize on bedknife bolts. He was worried that next time you have to replace the bedknife you won't be able to get it off with the thread locker. He had to replace the bed bar on his because the bolts were seized.

Pete1313

Post by Pete1313 » December 25th, 2016, 10:37 am

Thanks wardconnor and J_nick. Before I installed the bedknives I did read that Toro and Jacobsen both recommend anti-seize on the screws but JD makes no mention of using anything. What concerned me was the low torque spec of JD at 62 in. lbs. IIRC Jacobsen and Toro had torque specs 2-4 times higher. I ended up running a dry tap thru all the old bedbar holes and then using blue threadlocker on the new screws. The old screws I removed did not have anything on them(besides rust) but still came out fairly easy when using the hand impact driver. As LoneRanger reminded in the other post, it inhibits corrosion as well, and makes sense as whenever I've removed a bolt with threadlocker on it, it still has the threadlocker color still on the bolt and is not rusted. I personally am not a huge fan of anti-seize... Although the guy I work next to seems to put it on just about everything(including his shirt, tools, and maybe his lunch :no:). I suppose I'll find out if it was a good idea next time I try and remove the screws.

Pete1313

Post by Pete1313 » January 24th, 2017, 7:31 pm

Took advantage of this crazy weather we have been having in northern Illinois and got some more maintenance completed this weekend. Changed out the hydro fluid and coolant, plugs, filters, belt, and oil change. Then took it for a couple laps around the yard to get any air out of the hydraulic system. I then backlapped the cutting units. I'm just about done with all of the things I wanted to accomplish on the machine this winter and can't wait until spring and the upcoming Reno this year to see how it can perform.

Here are a couple pictures after I was done backlapping. Man these things are sharp! Also in the pics you can see I got rid of the greens yoke kit and changed them over to the fairway yoke kit. No more chains and should be a better fit for the yard.

I also made a new HOC bar and this time made it from 3/8" x 2" stock and seems a lot stronger and less likely to flex. I also added a screw behind the one used for HOC that is used when checking for front roller parallel to bedknife, and added another in front to check the height of the groomer assembly.

iriasj2009
Grass Type: Celebration bermuda

Post by iriasj2009 » January 25th, 2017, 9:55 am

Looks sweet!!!

Pete1313

Re: Picked up a triplex

Post by Pete1313 » April 2nd, 2017, 6:01 pm

Decided today was the day to give the newly rebuilt machine it's first cut. Checked the bedknife clearance one more time, set the front roller parallel to bedknife, adjusted the HOC to 1 3/16" and set the groomers to 1 1/16". Everything worked great and left a great cut... especially on a NoMix that has had no leveling. After I was done I played soccer and baseball on it with my 4 and 8 year olds and my 8 year old gave me a great compliment. "Dad, this is better then the soccer fields I play on!" Made it worthwhile. I am slowly going to work it down to 3/4" before I kill it this summer. Can't wait until I can get some bewitched planted this year and work on leveling it some more. Here are some pics.

Pete1313

Post by Pete1313 » April 2nd, 2017, 6:06 pm

ericgautier
Grass Type: Front/Sides: Blueberry Monostand Back: TTTF+KBG

Post by ericgautier » April 2nd, 2017, 8:35 pm

Wow. Amazing stuff! :good:

Pete1313

Post by Pete1313 » April 3rd, 2017, 7:04 pm

Thanks EG. It was so much fun mowing with it, and definitely worth all the work that was done this winter. Can't wait to mow again! I'm going to play around with the groomer height a bit in the upcoming mows and see how it responds. The 10% lower than bedknife HOC seemed like a good starting point though.

HoosierLawnGnome
Grass Type: Blueberry KBG
Lawn Size: 1 acre-2 acre

Post by HoosierLawnGnome » April 4th, 2017, 2:39 am

Very nice! I'm taking notes! I really want one, but I'm not sure I'm up for the project of refurbishing one (yet)!

Pete1313

Post by Pete1313 » April 4th, 2017, 7:59 am

In time HLG! :good: So you know, the QA5 cutting heads(the ones I have) have a max HOC of 1.5". Deere also has a QA7 cutting unit (7" diameter reel instead of 5") that is on the 2653B and has a max HOC of 2.5". I'm sure other manufacturers have similar HOC ranges as well, but I'm only familiar with JD.

mrmeaner
Grass Type: Celebration Bermuda

Post by mrmeaner » April 6th, 2017, 12:17 pm

That's just awesome Pete!! Love the write up and pictures!! Just currently have a Toro 2000d Triplex similar to the JD 2653 but just picked up a Toro Greensmaster 3150q w/11 bladed Reel with Groomers and also a set of Verticut Reels for the unit. Should show up tomorrow and rather excited to say the least!!

Pete1313

Post by Pete1313 » April 6th, 2017, 1:35 pm

The 3150d looks awesome! I bet you can't wait! I had mine shipped from a guy on u-ship and had the ability to track his approximate location. I must have checked that thing a dozen times a day until I finally got it. It looks really clean. Make sure you start up a thread and take lots of pictures when you get it. I would love to see that thing in more detail! :good:

mrmeaner
Grass Type: Celebration Bermuda

Post by mrmeaner » April 6th, 2017, 1:50 pm

Pete1313 wrote:
April 6th, 2017, 1:35 pm
The 3150d looks awesome! I bet you can't wait! I had mine shipped from a guy on u-ship and had the ability to track his approximate location. I must have checked that thing a dozen times a day until I finally got it. It looks really clean. Make sure you start up a thread and take lots of pictures when you get it. I would love to see that thing in more detail! :good:

Haha, I have been checking it multiple times per day, website shows the mower is in Dallas now so should be here tomorrow. I used u-ship when I bought the 2000d from New Jersey to Texas - it showed up no problem. In talking to the same dealer on the newer mower he said he quit using U-ship...he had a driver show up pick up the item and never delivered it. Kinda scary, he said he had to refund the money for the mower to the buyer. I bought this mower from a dealer in Florida and they used standard freight line shipping by putting it on a pallet. Shipping was very reasonable 1800lbs pallet package, shipping to Texas was a little over $600.00

Will take some pictures when it shows up and post them