Need help with an idea for my hill

The place for discussions about mowers, stripers, edgers, weeders, etc.
ajmikola
Grass Type: Bermuda
Lawn Size: Not Specified
Level: Not Specified

Post by ajmikola » October 12th, 2016, 12:01 am

So i have been killing myself thinking of ways to mow my steep a$$ hill with my greens mower.
Then my wife (of all people) suggested i put down a track. At first i thought she was crazy, then i got to thinking about it and it wasnt a bad idea.
So my thought is to stake in 2x4s running parallel to the hill and let the mower rest against it as i cut.
The other thing i was thinking was to some how tie a rope around the engine and counterbalance the mower.
The big problem is the baroness and all other greens mowers roll on rollers and thats it, no tires or anything. The moment i put it sideways on a hill it just slides down.

So i know there are a ton of folks on here that are smarter than me.
Does any of that sound feasible and does anyone have any other thoughts or suggestions?

Mowing straight up and down is virtually impossible. The mower weighs 200lbs or so and i cant push it up the hill and get a good cut.

wardconnor
Grass Type: KBG, PRG

Re: Need help with an idea for my hill

Post by wardconnor » October 12th, 2016, 12:56 am

No go. It's flat or nothing when it comes to greens mower and a hill. Flower bed if not flat. If you want grass then you'll need a retaining wall. Nuff said. It's harsh but it's reality.

Your text from wife you posted, if that was you, was hilarious. I can relate to how you feel. I want to buy a riding reel toro but might have to make an executive decision in the end.

[ Post made via Android ] Image

SimonR
Grass Type: Santa Ana Couch

Post by SimonR » October 12th, 2016, 6:04 am

https://youtu.be/plHVt6gqQg8

tphakkhc1
Grass Type: Bermuda, St Augustine

Post by tphakkhc1 » October 12th, 2016, 6:41 am

Have you tried mowing up/down the hill at 45 degrees? You could possibly anchor a point at the top of the hill and tie rope around the mower mowing in a semicircle pattern. Shorten the rope with each pass until you've covered the hill but as suggested if it's too steep you could consider a garden/retaining wall.

Sent from my iOS device using the Yard Help App

ENVY23
Grass Type: KBG: Midnight, Bluebank, Mazama
Lawn Size: 10000-20000
Level: Some Experience

Post by ENVY23 » October 12th, 2016, 2:26 pm

SimonR wrote:https://youtu.be/plHVt6gqQg8

I was just about to post that. No experience with it, but it seems like a great idea. How big is this hill?

Pete1313
Grass Type: Bewitched KBG
Lawn Size: 20000-1 acre
Level: Advanced

Post by Pete1313 » October 12th, 2016, 3:15 pm

No experience and just a thought.. what about applying some kind of high traction coating to the drum/drive roller? I guess it depends on how bad you are slipping right now. Might make it alittle better?

Billy
Grass Type: Cool season and warm season

Post by Billy » October 12th, 2016, 3:35 pm

ENVY23 wrote:
SimonR wrote:https://youtu.be/plHVt6gqQg8

I was just about to post that. No experience with it, but it seems like a great idea. How big is this hill?
The golf guys would call that machine a "Flymo", since that was the brand name of the first hovering mower that came out.

These machines are essentially weedeaters with a molded shroud on the top. They don't have blades -- all the cutting is done with string, like a weedeater. They usually have height adjustments from 1-2". Some models say they can cut lower than that, but the quality really suffers < 1". At golf courses, these are most often used on steep bunker banks, where there's not enough room to fit a mower safely.

Like I wrote in another thread, the best thing to do here might be to get rid of the grass and plant something else. How a bout a narrow strip of grass at the top and bottom of the slope with a planting of pampas grass down rh middle?

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image

Kmartel
Grass Type: KBG/PR

Post by Kmartel » October 12th, 2016, 4:01 pm

Inner tube or large elastic bands on the drum. Or as suggested a non skid coating painted on the drum. Don't think you will be happy with the cut quality of a hover mower since it is basically a string trimmer.

Have you tried finding transport wheels that have roughly the same diameter as the drum? They might give you enough traction to work.

Mike2016
Grass Type: 50/50 Perennial Rye/KBG
Lawn Size: 20000-1 acre
Level: Experienced

Post by Mike2016 » October 12th, 2016, 4:14 pm

Just a heads up - using a flymo absolutely sucks. I cannot begin to describe my disdain for these machines.

Source: did golf course maintenance for 4 years.

ajmikola

Post by ajmikola » October 12th, 2016, 8:22 pm

Pete1313 wrote:No experience and just a thought.. what about applying some kind of high traction coating to the drum/drive roller? I guess it depends on how bad you are slipping right now. Might make it alittle better?

Mighty quinn suggested that, i'm nervous about doing that because once something like that is sprayed on its hard if not impossible to get off and i dont know what effect it would have on the mower as a whole

ajmikola

Post by ajmikola » October 12th, 2016, 8:27 pm

Kmartel wrote:Inner tube or large elastic bands on the drum. Or as suggested a non skid coating painted on the drum. Don't think you will be happy with the cut quality of a hover mower since it is basically a string trimmer.

Have you tried finding transport wheels that have roughly the same diameter as the drum? They might give you enough traction to work.

My rotary can maneuver the hill fine, but i would really like to macguiver something to make the greens mower work.
Good news is i have all winter to work on it and i have a bunch of engineers around me so they could help to.

I do like the idea of finding tires. That certainly may be an option.

OldGlory
Grass Type: Carl Spackler Hybred: KBG; Featherbed Bent; Northern California Sensemilia

Post by OldGlory » October 12th, 2016, 8:38 pm

I worked on a golf course and used a fly mow. They are not the best...but they get the job done. Only thing that worked on the back of high tee boxes.

ajmikola

Post by ajmikola » October 12th, 2016, 9:02 pm

wardconnor wrote:No go. It's flat or nothing when it comes to greens mower and a hill. Flower bed if not flat. If you want grass then you'll need a retaining wall. Nuff said. It's harsh but it's reality.

Your text from wife you posted, if that was you, was hilarious. I can relate to how you feel. I want to buy a riding reel toro but might have to make an executive decision in the end.

Yeah that was my wife. She was having a bad day to her credit, but it was still funny.
I'm gonna figure out something for the hill if it kills me, which it actually might. Stay tuned

J_nick

Post by J_nick » October 12th, 2016, 10:52 pm

Just a thought but what about getting some sandpaper with adhesive backing. That should be able to grip while still being able to be easily removed, also not changing HOC very much. I have a steep hill of my own I might pick up some tomorrow and give it a shot. I've been mowing it all year with the TruCut as the wheels can actually hold a line on the hill. Along my fence it's leaving marks from constantly going over the same spot with the wheels :banghead: I'll let you know tomorrow how much traction the sandpaper adds

ajmikola

Post by ajmikola » October 13th, 2016, 12:09 am

J_nick wrote:Just a thought but what about getting some sandpaper with adhesive backing. That should be able to grip while still being able to be easily removed, also not changing HOC very much. I have a steep hill of my own I might pick up some tomorrow and give it a shot. I've been mowing it all year with the TruCut as the wheels can actually hold a line on the hill. Along my fence it's leaving marks from constantly going over the same spot with the wheels :banghead: I'll let you know tomorrow how much traction the sandpaper adds

Please do. But a tru cut has tires right? What are you going to put the sand paper on?

Billy
Grass Type: Cool season and warm season

Post by Billy » October 13th, 2016, 12:34 am

Are you concerned about the sandpaper tearing up or abraising the grass? Those rear drums are mostly smooth (even the dimpled ones) to allow them to spin without tearing or scuffing the turf. I would be afraid of creating some damage if something slipped.

J_nick

Post by J_nick » October 13th, 2016, 12:47 am

Billy wrote:Are you concerned about the sandpaper tearing up or abraising the grass? Those rear drums are mostly smooth (even the dimpled ones) to allow them to spin without tearing or scuffing the turf. I would be afraid of creating some damage if something slipped.

I was wondering about that but we will just see how it goes. If it does cause damage oh well it's going to be dormant before too long as it's not even growing now.
ajmikola wrote:
J_nick wrote:Just a thought but what about getting some sandpaper with adhesive backing. That should be able to grip while still being able to be easily removed, also not changing HOC very much. I have a steep hill of my own I might pick up some tomorrow and give it a shot. I've been mowing it all year with the TruCut as the wheels can actually hold a line on the hill. Along my fence it's leaving marks from constantly going over the same spot with the wheels :banghead: I'll let you know tomorrow how much traction the sandpaper adds

Please do. But a tru cut has tires right? What are you going to put the sand paper on?
I'll be trying it on my JD220B. I've been using the TruCut on the hill because it has wheels and fights gravity better than the smooth aluminum drum of the JD

ajmikola

Post by ajmikola » October 13th, 2016, 9:50 am

J_nick wrote:
Billy wrote:Are you concerned about the sandpaper tearing up or abraising the grass? Those rear drums are mostly smooth (even the dimpled ones) to allow them to spin without tearing or scuffing the turf. I would be afraid of creating some damage if something slipped.

I was wondering about that but we will just see how it goes. If it does cause damage oh well it's going to be dormant before too long as it's not even growing now.
ajmikola wrote:

I'll be trying it on my JD220B. I've been using the TruCut on the hill because it has wheels and fights gravity better than the smooth aluminum drum of the JD

Lemme know how it goes

lagerman72
Grass Type: Tif 419

Post by lagerman72 » October 14th, 2016, 9:37 am

We know you like equipment, so you could always check out the Maruyama landscape blade. I'm sure it'll be different from your greens mower, but it could give you a nice short "reel" looking cut without too much hassle from pushing your reel on the hill.

ajmikola

Post by ajmikola » October 14th, 2016, 6:02 pm

I'll check it out