Purchase a Reel Mower or Not?

The place for discussions about mowers, stripers, edgers, weeders, etc.
nagol
Grass Type: Common Bermuda
Lawn Size: Not Specified
Level: Not Specified

Purchase a Reel Mower or Not?

Post by nagol » March 14th, 2017, 1:58 pm

Hello All. This is a fantastic site. I've only been here for a few days and have learned quite a bit. I need some advice. I currently have a service helping me with my yard. I have a lot of common Bermuda spreading throughout my yard, but its not completely covered.

Is it to early to purchase a reel mower? I found one on CL and its actually posted by someone on this site. Its a Mclane but the motor has been replaced by a Harbor Freight motor. I'm just not sure I need one at the moment. I think I need to wait until the Bermuda is established.

Thanks for any recommendations.

scottcgrable
Grass Type: Bermuda

Re: Purchase a Reel Mower or Not?

Post by scottcgrable » March 14th, 2017, 3:58 pm

Can you post a link to the add so we can see it? Or a picture of the reel?

Its never too early for a reel mower. Cutting with a reel mower is overall better for the grass(more even cut, less scalping).

Here is another Craigslist add in AL. A Tru-Cut in my opinion is a little more industrial than a McLane(I own both).
https://bham.craigslist.org/grd/6038134466.html

nagol

Post by nagol » March 15th, 2017, 9:13 am

Here is the McLane, looks like it's in pretty good shape.

scottcgrable

Post by scottcgrable » March 15th, 2017, 12:54 pm

Yeah, the McLane looks nice with the paint and the new engine. Added bonus of the front roller even if it does look like it was a DIY project. I stand by my claim that I would go with a TruCut(not the one that this person is selling because of the known issues) if all was equal. If you want to go check it out just have him demonstrate everything for you, check the reel and bed-knife for any dings. Watch a few you-tube videos just to get an overall feel for how they work because it is quite different than a rotary.

As always with Craigslist, its a negotiation. Maybe try and talk him down some and get where you feel comfortable. This mower is most likely 15+ years old so there could be issues(if not now, down the line). Hopefully if it is someone on this site that is selling it they have already fixed any issues and babied it.

Let us know if you have more questions.

***if the person selling this is a member on here let us know how you put the roller together. I would like to add one to my backup McLane. Thanks!

nagol

Post by nagol » March 15th, 2017, 1:30 pm

Thanks for your insight. I've been doing a ton of research. And a lot on this site. But I'm not in a hurry to make a decision. I'm probably going to pass on this one, but I can always find another at some point.

I just want to know, if mowing my Bermuda lower with a reel vs. a rotary is going to help it spread more? I know most everyone on here mentions "mow low and mow often", which I will be doing this year.

scottcgrable

Post by scottcgrable » March 16th, 2017, 1:54 pm

Yeah, if you are not in a hurry just wait for someone to post a descent one in the sub 200 dollar range. Set yourself up with a craigslist alert if you want. That way you can see what a reasonable price is around in your area.

I don't know the science behind it but using a reel is supposedly better for the overall health of the grass, especially if your cutting in the 0.5" to 1.5" range. Never cut off more than 1/3 of the current height of the grass and you will be just fine. If you want to encourage spreading look into plugging some of your better spots into your worse areas and fill the holes with sand. This will help everything fill in faster. If you are interested in seeing what plugging can do check out this post by iriasj2009.

http://aroundtheyard.com/forums2/viewto ... hilit=plug

nagol

Post by nagol » March 17th, 2017, 9:07 am

Got it, thanks for your help. I do plan on trying the plugging idea at some point.