Time for a new mower

The place for discussions about mowers, stripers, edgers, weeders, etc.
PSU4ME
Grass Type: Front: Bewitched/Midnight/Everglade Back: Midnight/Diva/Everest
Lawn Size: 20000-1 acre
Level: Some Experience

Time for a new mower

Post by PSU4ME » March 28th, 2017, 12:49 pm

Hi folks,
Well fortunately and unfortunately, i'm looking for a new mower.

Current situation:
I have a JD D140 from Lowes....bought in 2015 (so yes its new and seems to work just fine)
1 acre of KBG - half reno in 2015, other half reno in 2016
The mower runs just fine but it does not cut well, going fast or slow, i always have to run over it twice because it will leave uncut grass. I mow at 4", WOT and i've had the deck off to sharpen the blades a few times so its installed evenly and the blades are sharp/usable. it is the 48" deck with the 3 blade system.

So unless someone can tell me why the above does not seem to cut well (its not how well you mow, its how well you mow fast), i'm looking for suggestions on a new rig.

I want something that cuts nice.....give it a sharp blade on lush grass and it slices through it like butter. I'm considering a zero turn mower among others as i only use the mower to cut grass, i don't use any type of pull behind carts or sprayers so a true grass cutter is ok.

I would love your thoughts and recommendations. If I've left out key info, just ask.

Thank you!

ericgautier
Grass Type: Front/Sides: Blueberry Monostand Back: TTTF+KBG
Lawn Size: Not Specified
Level: Not Specified

Re: Time for a new mower

Post by ericgautier » March 28th, 2017, 2:06 pm

Key info.. what's your budget? :yahoo:

PSU4ME

Post by PSU4ME » March 28th, 2017, 2:07 pm

Ha!! My pockets are deep enough within reason. 2-4k i'd say.

* must fit in my 10/12 shed though!!

Grass Type: Quack, No Mix

Post by 1977212 » March 28th, 2017, 2:12 pm

toro will most likely get you 0% financing. Do you pull anything behind it?

ericgautier

Post by ericgautier » March 28th, 2017, 2:56 pm

Would you entertain getting used or prefer new?

cnbart
Grass Type: NoMix

Post by cnbart » March 28th, 2017, 2:59 pm

any slope considerations? I went with a z540m myself and was hesitant because of a few sidehills I have. For the most part it is a non issue but if the grass is damp it can slide. No real risk to injury or property damage at the bottom of my hills but ymmv. Ztr's are more susceptible to sliding on hills due to the front wheels being casters rather than steering wheel attached so something to consider. It does mow very well at ~5mph. It can go faster but the cut suffers. Nice when moving around the property to move quickly though. Another consideration if it applies to you is snow removal. Tractors are typically heavier and from what I have seen have more attachment options.

PSU4ME

Post by PSU4ME » March 28th, 2017, 3:09 pm

ericgautier wrote:
March 28th, 2017, 2:56 pm
Would you entertain getting used or prefer new?
I would be open to either given i could find something good, used.

PSU4ME

Post by PSU4ME » March 28th, 2017, 3:10 pm

cnbart wrote:
March 28th, 2017, 2:59 pm
any slope considerations? I went with a z540m myself and was hesitant because of a few sidehills I have. For the most part it is a non issue but if the grass is damp it can slide. No real risk to injury or property damage at the bottom of my hills but ymmv. Ztr's are more susceptible to sliding on hills due to the front wheels being casters rather than steering wheel attached so something to consider. It does mow very well at ~5mph. It can go faster but the cut suffers. Nice when moving around the property to move quickly though. Another consideration if it applies to you is snow removal. Tractors are typically heavier and from what I have seen have more attachment options.
No large hills.....just some slope as it comes up to the house but nothing that would make the tractor slip.

Also, no towing or any type of snow removal......just a lawn machine. if there is anything big, i just use my truck!

napper
Grass Type: Midnight II, Rhapsody, Blueberry, Bewitched
Level: Experienced

Post by napper » March 28th, 2017, 10:40 pm

Scag SWZT. You might have to up the budget a little.

Post by 1977212 » March 28th, 2017, 10:58 pm

see if there's any used grandstands in your area, it's a little overkill but you won't have any problems with a clean cut as long as the blades are sharp.

Pete1313
Grass Type: Bewitched KBG
Level: Advanced

Post by Pete1313 » March 29th, 2017, 12:52 am

What kind of blades are you running on the 48" edge deck? Standard, high lift, mulching blade? deere blades or aftermarket? Do you have the mulch kit? Unfortunately the edge decks don't give the best cut quality, but changing up the blades might help you out. If you are set on getting something else, JD came out with a different deck in '16. It is the Accel Deep deck and comes in the X300 and higher tractors and the ztraks. Cuts well, and mulches well with the JD kit, even at higher speeds. I have the 54" version on my X590... if you do go new, whatever make/model you decide, try and demo it on your property first to see if it will be a good fit for you.

PSU4ME

Post by PSU4ME » March 29th, 2017, 7:18 am

Thanks guys, I'll take a look at those models.

@pete, I bought mulching blades and a set of gator replacements so I an swap/sharpen them. To my surprise the new blades, razor sharp didn't make a difference.

I'll check out that new accel dec as I think it has something to do with the way the dec works and nothing that I'm doing.

Stinks to have to buy a new one already!

Pete1313

Post by Pete1313 » March 29th, 2017, 8:15 am

The gators are supposed to be better than the JD mulching. I think the high lifts will make a difference but then you will need to side discharge. Do you have the mulch kit installed(baffles under the deck) or do you use the mulch plug(shield that just covers the discharge chute). Is it still under 2 years/120 Hrs? If so talk with a dealer and see if they have any fix available.

PSU4ME

Post by PSU4ME » March 29th, 2017, 8:19 am

It's less than 2 years old and I use the side cover as the mulching kit. I might call the dealer to see what they say, I'd love a good trade in offer!

Post by 1977212 » March 29th, 2017, 9:55 am

The mowers sold at a dealer vs Home Depot lowes etc are a bit different than John deer themselves. So don't be suprized how much they offer

ericgautier

Post by ericgautier » March 29th, 2017, 10:58 am

Nothing like shopping for a new mower. :) You have plenty to choose from with a budget of $2k-$4k, but as Pete said the best thing to do is try as many as you can on your lawn and decide if it is right for you. Also, having a great dealer near you could seal the deal. Getting great customer service is priceless.

Currently, I have an eXmark 48" walkbehind (belt drive) and love it (but I am only mowing about 13k sq ft). I bought it used within my budget at the time. Looking back at it now, I should have sprung for a hydro model. But after using it for almost 3 season now, on my property, I have no issues with it. It has plenty of power and a night and day difference between my 22" self propelled mower (which I still have and use on smaller sections).

If I was to get a z-turn, I would probably look at the eXmark Radius series.

PSU4ME

Post by PSU4ME » March 29th, 2017, 11:13 am

I do have a local dealer (John Deere) which is actually the dealership that my first tractor is from as i guess they just sell/assemble through Lowes. I just sent them a note about a trade in vlaue on my existing and if it is 1,000, its gone! I really like having a dealer close, my other option is a Airens/Cub Cadet dealer.

I'm looking at the X354 if anyone has comments on that. I just don't want to have to cut my grass twice!

ericgautier

Post by ericgautier » March 29th, 2017, 11:52 am

x354 is a nice machine but has a smaller deck that what you currently have now.

I had a JD LT160 before getting the walkbehind. Which is equivalent to the x300 series now.

Here's a JD Family Tree

I've always wanted to restore a JD 110RF. Maybe one of these days...

Anyway, x354 has the 4-wheel steering which is pretty cool. Allows you to turn closer to obstacles. But, imo, might not be a big upgrade over your D140. I think you should look into the x500 series.

PSU4ME

Post by PSU4ME » March 29th, 2017, 1:59 pm

A 500 series is $8K My wife would likely cut me! Don't get me wrong, i love the power and stuff but i would have to (want to) think i can get a complete cut with something a little cheaper hahaha.

Do you think the zero turns cut better than a traditional tractor?

I actually quite aggravated that my current one doesn't work well and i'm hesitant that spending more money on a different tractor might not solve the answer. Time to talk to a dealer i suppose.

Pete1313

Post by Pete1313 » March 29th, 2017, 6:31 pm

PSU4ME wrote:
March 29th, 2017, 1:59 pm
Do you think the zero turns cut better than a traditional tractor?
I do think a zero turn cuts as good if not better than a tractor. And you will get the lawn cut quicker due to the reduced time it takes to turn around. There is less weight on the front casters of a zero turn when compared to the front wheels of a tractor. At a 4" cut height, the tractor wheels can flatten the grass and the deck may not stand it back up to be cut. My main reason for getting a tractor is to tow things and use it with a mounted spayer while tackling some significant slopes on my yard. Sounds like this will be used for cutting only and a ztrak should be a good fit. In your budget, you have a lot of options for residential zero turns and with an acre to mow I would suggest getting one with a 54" deck to cut down on your mow time as well. Get some demos out on your property and figure out what will be a good fit. You'd be surprised how willing some dealers are to let you try out a machine on your property. If not, find another dealer. Mine let me demo a Z930M with nothing more then a handshake for a whole weekend, and then picked it up on monday(had so much fun on that thing, cut the lawn 3 times that weekend, but it wasn't what I was looking for). Look at a few different brands, I'm a Deere fan so I'm biased. My recommendation is to look at the Z375R, with a 54" Accel Deep deck, and a 25hp engine is plenty of power for a 54" deck. Demo it, see if you like it. Don't forget to negotiate in the extras you want like the mulch control kit, or a striper kit.