Transport Wheels of JD 180C

The place for discussions about mowers, stripers, edgers, weeders, etc.
kevin143
Grass Type: Bermuda
Lawn Size: Not Specified
Level: Not Specified

Transport Wheels of JD 180C

Post by kevin143 » May 1st, 2017, 9:49 am

I picked up my first reel mower, a 180C, last December during the Weeks auction. Based on previous member postings I was expecting to have some issues with the mower wanting to slide on me when I mow my back yard which has a slope. This is occurring, not as bad as I was expecting but it's still frustrating. To alleviate this I was considering picking up some transport wheels. Before I drop a few hundred bucks on some used wheels I was hoping someone might be able to answer a few questions:

1. With the transport wheels installed will it cause the rear drum to be elevated so that it's off the ground? If so, roughly how high off the ground will the rear drum be?
2. Could I possibly drop the air pressure in the wheels enough so that the rear drum still makes contact with the ground?

If the drop in pressure doesn't work I could adjust the HOC to try and account for the rear drum being off the ground. My goal is for the transport tires to give me enough traction to eliminate or minimize the back of the mower from wanting to slide. Any feedback or thoughts would be appreciated.

gradyb
Grass Type: Bermuda Tifway

Re: Transport Wheels of JD 180C

Post by gradyb » May 2nd, 2017, 8:17 pm

Kevin,

Transport wheels are merely for movement to cutting areas. I have a Baroness greens mower and experience the same issue. My only solution thus far is to use my old Tru-Cut for those sloped areas. JD might possibly offer an alternate drum for your need. It is worth researching.

Atc4usmc
Grass Type: Bermuda

Re: Transport Wheels of JD 180C

Post by Atc4usmc » May 2nd, 2017, 11:25 pm

Kevin - Congrats on the 180C, I have one that I am picking up in a few weeks! Cant wait!

The transport wheels are not for mowing, just as grady said. They will prevent you from being able to cut if memory serves me correctly...not sure what could be done about sliding.