Professional String Trimmer

The place for discussions about mowers, stripers, edgers, weeders, etc.
Cyrus
Grass Type: Zoysia
Lawn Size: Not Specified
Level: Not Specified

Professional String Trimmer

Post by Cyrus » May 5th, 2017, 10:49 am

Fellas – I am in the market for a new commercial grade string trimmer. I currently have an 8-year-old Craftsman which still runs fine but it is a PIA to keep changing the individual strings. I would really like your opinion on the following Echo’s or any other comparable ones that you feel are better. My budget is $500 +/- but would like to spend less. I plan on keeping this one as long as possible so I "get it" that you pay for what you get. :good:

Echo SRM-266T
Echo SRM-280T
Echo SRM-2620T

tlinden
Grass Type: Bewitched, Blue Velvet, Prosperity

Re: Professional String Trimmer

Post by tlinden » May 5th, 2017, 11:49 am

The T in names is for Torque. The engine is the same, but gearbox ratio is setup so the end spins slower but has more torque. So if you aren't planning on doing a lot of ditch clearing I'd go with the non T versions.

The 2620 has the speed feed head.. You don't have to pull it apart to add more line in. But how often are you adding more line in? For home use I do maybe once a year. But if you're getting a new trimmer you might as well get the nicer head..

Cyrus

Post by Cyrus » May 5th, 2017, 12:03 pm

tlinden wrote:
May 5th, 2017, 11:49 am
how often are you adding more line in?
I replace the 10 -12" piece about every 10 min. Mine is old and has no speed feed at all, thus why I want a new one with speed feed.

ENVY23
Grass Type: KBG: Midnight, Bluebank, Mazama
Lawn Size: 10000-20000
Level: Some Experience

Post by ENVY23 » May 5th, 2017, 12:46 pm

Sounds like you need new line or better line. How old is the line you have? The Stihl dealer recommended after loading the line in my trimmer head, to put the remaining spool of line in a ziplock bag with a little water in it. He said the line will dry out over time causing it to break more easily, and having it in a bag with moisture will extend the life of the line. FWIW, I have the Stihl KM130R with the straight shaft trimmer. It came with an AutoCut head, but I switched it out to a DuroCut head and I like it much better. After I used up the pre-cut lines included with the DuroCut, I switched to the CF3 Pro line and just cut it to length to fit the DuroCut head.

tlinden
Grass Type: Bewitched, Blue Velvet, Prosperity

Post by tlinden » May 5th, 2017, 1:04 pm

OK so the echo speed feed difference, the better one you can insert the new line by sticking it in and twisting and it auto loads it in. But both will hold a crazy amount of line.

Cyrus

Post by Cyrus » May 5th, 2017, 1:32 pm

Fellas - my POS Craftsman has no speed feed whatsoever! It takes single pieces of 12" line

Riverpilot
Grass Type: Northern Mix
Lawn Size: 3000-5000
Level: Experienced

Post by Riverpilot » May 5th, 2017, 7:18 pm

One factor is how much you're trimming and what you're trimming? If it just the normal/average homeowner once or twice a week trimming along trees, maybe a bit of edging then the SRM-225/i would most likely work.
As for the head, most trimmers can change the head out for a different design if you don't like the one it comes with.

I would also try to get it at a local dealer that sells echo, stihl, etc.. instead of getting it at say Home Depot. Ask them what they would use for your situation.

guisertj
Lawn Size: 5000-10000
Level: Some Experience

Post by guisertj » May 6th, 2017, 9:31 am

I prefer Stihl. Been down the Echo road before and was not a good trip.

Cyrus

Post by Cyrus » May 8th, 2017, 9:51 am

Got a deal on a Stihl FS91R for $299 + tax over the weekend so I bought it with the Edger attachment and bump head. Gotta say the bump head so far sucks. It either spits out to much string or becomes tangled and spits out nothing. Gonna ask them for my stock one back next weekend when I go back there to complain. Maybe I am just doing it wrong . . . no directions came with the bump head.

Atc4usmc
Grass Type: Bermuda

Post by Atc4usmc » May 11th, 2017, 5:46 pm

Try having them re-load the head, I had the same issue and the dealer re-installed the line and all is well.

Green
Grass Type: KBG, TTTF, TTPR, and FF (various mixtures)

Post by Green » May 11th, 2017, 9:55 pm

Are you considering battery powered trimmers too? There are 56V models now, I believe. I don't have any experience though. I'm using a clunky old electric Weedeater at home, and a Worx 18V battery model at my grandfather's...both using 0.065-inch line, I believe. That 18V battery lasts about 5 minutes when you're cutting thick grass, and then takes an hour to recharge. Thankfully he has two. With the electric model at home, the main problem I have is that the string breaks off every 2 feet or so when edging. I have to unplug it, flip it around, pull more string out (sometimes even take the cover off the bottom), flip it back, plug it back in, sling the cord over my shoulder so I don't cut it, and then repeat. Takes about 10x as long as with a better trimmer.

double_e5

Post by double_e5 » May 11th, 2017, 10:33 pm

Green wrote:
May 11th, 2017, 9:55 pm
Are you considering battery powered trimmers too? There are 56V models now, I believe. I don't have any experience though. I'm using a clunky old electric Weedeater at home, and a Worx 18V battery model at my grandfather's...both using 0.065-inch line, I believe. That 18V battery lasts about 5 minutes when you're cutting thick grass, and then takes an hour to recharge. Thankfully he has two. With the electric model at home, the main problem I have is that the string breaks off every 2 feet or so when edging. I have to unplug it, flip it around, pull more string out (sometimes even take the cover off the bottom), flip it back, plug it back in, sling the cord over my shoulder so I don't cut it, and then repeat. Takes about 10x as long as with a better trimmer.
First post here. Just wanted to say this site is fantastic.

Now that that's out of the way, I have the 80V Kobalt trimmer. I received it as a gift after my gasser crapped the bed. I can't believe how much I like it (I would have never bought it for myself). It's perfect for my ~1/3 acre lot. Has plenty of power and I haven't gone through a full charged battery yet. The battery also only takes about 30 minutes to charge.

Green
Grass Type: KBG, TTTF, TTPR, and FF (various mixtures)

Post by Green » May 11th, 2017, 11:03 pm

Wow, 80V. Who would've thought those existed!
Welcome!

Cyrus

Post by Cyrus » May 12th, 2017, 6:31 am

Green wrote:
May 11th, 2017, 11:03 pm
Wow, 80V. Who would've thought those existed!
Welcome!
. . . could almost run a car on that ;-)

Cyrus

Post by Cyrus » May 12th, 2017, 7:38 am

BTW - so far the FS91R runs flawlessly and is really nice. I wish I could say the same for the C25-2 Bump feed trimmer head. I cannot get this thing to feed for the life of me and more often than not 1 side of the line auto cuts off leaving only one side working until it is to short to do the job. The whole reason I bought this trimmer was for the auto feed option. I could have just stuck with my 8 year old Craftsman which still works perfectly but have to manually feed the 12" strips each time. Again, maybe I am just feeding the bump head incorrectly. I think I have watched every YouTube video on how to load it though. That said, maybe this head is defective . . .

marshalltj
Grass Type: Bermuda

Post by marshalltj » May 12th, 2017, 9:24 am

I bought a Kawasaki several years ago on eBay and it has been fantastic for my needs. It appears to be somewhat related to a shindiawa.