Heading out of town for a week - Do not have an Irrigation System, but need help

The place for discussions about mowers, stripers, edgers, weeders, etc.
Casutherland
Grass Type: TTTF
Lawn Size: 1000-3000
Level: Some Experience

Heading out of town for a week - Do not have an Irrigation System, but need help

Post by Casutherland » May 15th, 2017, 4:46 pm

Hello everyone..

I need some quick help on the lawn. I do not have an irrigation system, and am about to head out of town for the next week. They are forecasting upper 80s and low 90s every day with no rain..

I know the deep and infrequent tactic, but do you guys have any recommendations for a quick set up to keep the yard watered? I was looking at a Melnor Wifi Irrigation timer, but is that really necessary?

Please help with some advice!

g-man
Grass Type: Mix (mostly KBG)
Lawn Size: Not Specified
Level: Not Specified

Re: Heading out of town for a week - Do not have an Irrigation System, but need help

Post by g-man » May 15th, 2017, 6:25 pm

Do you have neighbors? Set up impact hands and ask them to turn the on and off.

Casutherland
Grass Type: TTTF
Lawn Size: 1000-3000
Level: Some Experience

Re: Heading out of town for a week - Do not have an Irrigation System, but need help

Post by Casutherland » May 15th, 2017, 9:45 pm

g-man wrote:
May 15th, 2017, 6:25 pm
Do you have neighbors? Set up impact hands and ask them to turn the on and off.
Yeah I do, I just hate having the hose ran across my grass. With the heat being in the 90s it'll probably kill the spots where the hose was laying.

g-man
Grass Type: Mix (mostly KBG)
Lawn Size: Not Specified
Level: Not Specified

Post by g-man » May 15th, 2017, 11:11 pm

A timer is not going to make the hose levitate. Unless you get in ground irrigation, the hose will end up in the grass. Either a 1in strip of not so great looking grass or the whole yard being dry. You could try to run the hose along the edge, mulch beds.

bpgreen
Grass Type: Western, Streambank, Crested wheatgrass in front (with blue grama added in the heckstrips), sheep fescue in back; strawberry clovetr in both
Lawn Size: 3000-5000
Level: Experienced

Post by bpgreen » May 16th, 2017, 12:05 am

Your lawn should be able to take a week without water without any problem. Fescue grows deep roots and should easily stay green. Most of the kbg should also stay green. If it goes dormant, it would snap back as soon as it gets water.

I go a month or more at a time without watering and my kbg and fescue are still alive.