Lesco Backpack sprayer calibration

The place for discussions about mowers, stripers, edgers, weeders, etc.
kbgfarmer
Grass Type: Bewitched Kentucky bluegrass
Lawn Size: 20000-1 acre
Level: Some Experience

Lesco Backpack sprayer calibration

Post by kbgfarmer » May 16th, 2017, 7:16 pm

I just purchased a 4 gallon Lesco Backpack Sprayer. It came with a 25 psi pressure regulator to maintain constant pressure at the tip as well as an assortment of tips including a high volume flat fan red tip (.25 gpm) and a low volume flat fan yellow tip (.15 gpm). I plan on calibrating it tomorrow using the 18.5 x 18.5 method using both tips. In terms of spraying herbicides like tenacity or certainty what tip do most people use? And for tenacity and certainty does it matter how much volume is applied per 1000 to achieve the proper amount of active ingredient per 1000 or does volume not matter as long as the amount applied per 1000 is correct? For example let's say during my calibration I find that the sprayer applies .5 gallons per 1000? Using tenacity herbicide at 5 fl/oz per acre leads to .11 oz per 1000 which is .68 teaspoons. Let's say I'm spraying 4000 sq feet that is 2.75 teaspoons of concentrate. Would I mix that amount in 2 gallons and spray and apply the correct 5 oz/acre rate?