Poll: Which mulching blades

The place for discussions about mowers, stripers, edgers, weeders, etc.
reggie517
Grass Type: TTTF/KBG
Lawn Size: 5000-10000
Level: Some Experience

Poll: Which mulching blades

Post by reggie517 » May 26th, 2017, 11:36 am

So I have read through all the posts on mulching blades and still not sure which ones to buy so please let me know which you recommend!

Currently have Ninja Mulching blades on my Snapper 28" RER looking for a second mulching blade to swap out

1. Gator Blades
2. Rotary Copperheads
3. Mamba
4.Ninja (get a second set)

Thanks!

Chris LI
Grass Type: KBG/NoMix, TTTF/KBG, KBG/FF
Lawn Size: 3000-5000

Re: Poll: Which mulching blades

Post by Chris LI » July 21st, 2017, 10:10 am

I have a 21" Hi Vac and have 4 different blades. I would suggest the Gator blade as a second blade for you. I use it mostly in early spring bag and mulch as necessary and not to bang up my nice ninja blade with sticks and such. I also use it in the fall to mulch leaves into dust. During the lush growth from spring to mid-summer I love my ninja blade because it reduces the clippings into minute pieces with no clumps. However, I switched back to my Gator this week for a few reasons:

1) to bag a section of the yard under my maple which drops a ton of seed pods-poly noses on my patio and lawn (ninja has almost no suction) and to still mulch the rest of the lawn.

2) I raised the deck up a notch to 3.5" and the Gator helps stand the grass up some when mulching with less tendency for the grass to flop over for a more even cut, where the ninja is not as good at in that department at higher HOC 3.5-4".

3) Gives me some time to put a nice edge with a hand file on my ninja for when the grass picks back up at the end of the summer.

My 3rd and 4th blades are the bagging blade that came with the mower and the the Oregon blade (Gator mfg.) with the holes I bolted the "Air Lifts" on (wings) for supreme suction.

I've not used the other two blades you mentioned, but have seen the Mango. I purchased my gator on Amazon.

Chris LI
Grass Type: KBG/NoMix, TTTF/KBG, KBG/FF
Lawn Size: 3000-5000

Post by Chris LI » July 21st, 2017, 1:20 pm

"Mambo", not "Mango". Sorry for the typo. :shock:

TimmyG
Grass Type: Northern Mix
Lawn Size: 20000-1 acre
Level: Experienced

Post by TimmyG » July 21st, 2017, 5:46 pm

I can recommend Ninja blades for both the Snapper 28" RER and 21" Hi Vac solely based on having had two pairs of Ninja blades for each and being quite happy with the mulching capability of the Snapper mowers. I retired the 21" several years back when a drive wheel fatigued off and now only use the RER to mulch the heaviest leaf fall and on rare occasion pull a cart of soil or compost. I wish my Honda HRX217 mulched as finely as the Snappers with Ninja blades.