sprayer recommendation

The place for discussions about mowers, stripers, edgers, weeders, etc.
tnkrer
Grass Type: bullseye, crochise IV, rhapsody, bewitched in the front. unknown grass in the back, fine fescue mix in shady area
Lawn Size: Not Specified
Level: Not Specified

sprayer recommendation

Post by tnkrer » May 26th, 2017, 2:15 pm

Currently I am using harbor freight 4 gal backpack sprayer for spraying herbicides. I have not done any blanket sprays so far. I use the same sprayer for spot spraying of herbicides (triclopyr and three way herbicide) in lawn and glyphosate in the non-lawn areas. I clean it thoroughly after glypho and use it for regular spryaing .. I have not seen any ill effects by using the same sprayer

I have now decided that I want to spray prodiamine wdg as pre-m barrier. So I think I need to improve my sprayer to ensure
1. ease of spraying .. since this will be a blanket spray and not a spot spray
2. uniform spray - probably more important than my regular herbicide sprays
3. agitator - I have read that prodiamine wdg should use agitator while spraying
4. weight - my current 4 gal backpack sprayer filled with 4 gal is about the max weight I want to carry around my 6K lawn

As I am looking around this forum, I see couple of options, chapin 20V backpack sprayer and earthway s15. While cost is important, I consider this as an investment that should work for at least 10 years, I am ok to spend upto $20 per year .. so my max sprayer budget (including tips, trigger, CF valve etc) is around $200 .. (compare that to my HF sprayer, which was $20 and $5 for tractor supply tips .. )

Thanks for any pointers, suggestions, personal experiences ..

Monkburger
Grass Type: Midnight KBG (Front) / Award KBG (Sides)

Re: sprayer recommendation

Post by Monkburger » May 26th, 2017, 3:49 pm

I don't believe Earthway sells/makes the S15 anymore - If you can, S25 - I have one, and it's pretty good. The S15 had some pump problems that were fixed in the S25. Once you calibrate it (driveway, etc) it's probably the best investment.

Swamp_Fox
Grass Type: KBG, Creeping Red, Rye

Post by Swamp_Fox » May 26th, 2017, 4:50 pm

The Solo 417 can be had for around $150.00. I haven't used mine a ton but it's been good to me so far. I believe I added a different want for a little more reach, but I'm 6'3 so you may not need to do that. The Solo does not have agitation, so you'll need to hand stir. I'm no authority on sprayers but I'm unaware of any backpack model that includes automatic agitation like the tow behinds have.

imauafan
Grass Type: Bermuda

Post by imauafan » May 26th, 2017, 5:09 pm

I have the Chapin 20V that I picked up from Lowes on sale last year and I matched it up with the sprayer wand that dfw_pilot discusses in this thread:
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=19948&sid=89fb57d07 ... 71b2ec210f

STL
Grass Type: TTTF

Post by STL » May 30th, 2017, 9:17 pm

Chapin 61900 seems like a pretty good deal at around $70.

Charley
Grass Type: Tall Fescue

Post by Charley » May 31st, 2017, 12:00 am

The Chapin 20V obviously lacks agitation. However it takes less than 10 minutes to empty when applying at a 1 gal / m rate. And there should be some mixing from the walking action. Just do a nice wiggle after every few passes. Give the neighbors something to admire.

Coverage and flow rate are tip adjustment variables. The T-Jet tips can be used on the Chapin. Several threads here on sprayer tips. Consider that the Chapin will maintain a consistent pressure. Sure has made spraying a much easier job for me.