Honda HRX 217 Suction issue

The place for discussions about mowers, stripers, edgers, weeders, etc.
schreibdave
Grass Type: Bewitched, Award and Rhapsody
Lawn Size: 10000-20000
Level: Experienced

Re: Honda HRX 217 Suction issue

Post by schreibdave » May 6th, 2020, 5:34 am

This will be my 3rd season with this mower. What I found is that it left deep tracks - not clippings, but wheel tracks - in my young, tender PR. But in my mature PR and in young and mature KBG it did not leave tracks. I was initially disappointed with the mower but now I am happy with it.

bumpy lawn
Grass Type: No Mix

Post by bumpy lawn » June 20th, 2020, 6:40 pm

Doxasnob wrote:
May 4th, 2020, 10:58 pm
I have FIXED my Honda mower due to the various discussions here. I experimented by taking T-REX duct tape,(not cheap), and extending the inner skirt and sides of the mower surrounding the blade using T Rex duct tape to extend the skirt, or the area the mower uses for a vacuum, to the bottom of the wheels so there is more of a vacuum seal, and a better overall vacuum. It works! Not perfect, as I cut my lawn today, which was pretty thick and overly long, and had far fewer lines of clippings which used to shoot out the left side and get trampled by the left rear wheel, and then die and leave a nice line of dead grass which would eventually kill the grass. The motor is now working harder, as it should, to chop up all these clippings. Is it perfect? No, but now its livable. Oh, I also sped up my mower by shifting the governor spring to the other hole thus speeding the motor up. So, my fix until I get fed up with the whole thing and buy another mower! Enjoy!
Have my HRX set at 3150rpm and it is "ok" at 3.5 and 3" but very good at 2.5" when mulching. When bagging it's great, no matter the height. I do use a modded Oregon 92-101 high lift when bagging though. I was intrigued by Doxasnob's thought about the deck skirt mod. I used a rubber strip 2.5"x17.5" x 1/8" thick to extend the deck on the right side(as viewed from the handle forward) to extend 1.5" below the deck skirt. I used the Honda deck protector to attach the rubber strip.
I agree the suction is improved- no more clipping/leaf blow out and lift of wheel flattened grass blades. I may do the same on the opposite side after further testing. As always, ymmv.

bumpy lawn
Grass Type: No Mix

Post by bumpy lawn » July 21st, 2020, 7:41 pm

After several mowings, I can confirm on my lawn- the rubber deck extensions do improve suction, wheel tracks lessened visibly and less/no deck blow-out.

arguslives
Grass Type: Rye fescue
Lawn Size: Not Specified
Level: Not Specified

Post by arguslives » August 3rd, 2020, 5:52 pm

I was in the market for a great mulching mower and just purchased a HRX217VYA because I was sold on the Honda quality. On my first mow I set the Versamow system to 100% mulch and ended up with lines of mulch clippings along the left side of the cut (see pix below). Mower was set at 2.5" height and grass was not overly long (I was cutting off perhaps 3/4"). Is this going to be an ongoing problem with this mower? Does anyone know if there is a quick fix, other than having to overlap mowing passes by 8-10 inches? I am looking to exclusively mulch and this is not what I expected from a $700 mower.

Paul
Grass Type: Bewitched KBG Monostand
Level: Advanced

Post by Paul » August 11th, 2020, 12:36 pm

I have had Honda mowers for 20 years now. I purchased a new HRX two years ago and don't have the issue you show. I typically cut at 2.5 inches and always mulch. You can't let the grass get too long or you could have some issues like you show. I mow twice a week without these issues.

Hammbone81
Grass Type: KBG
Lawn Size: 5000-10000

Post by Hammbone81 » October 5th, 2020, 8:05 pm

arguslives wrote:
August 3rd, 2020, 5:52 pm
Is this going to be an ongoing problem with this mower?
- YES
Does anyone know if there is a quick fix, other than having to overlap mowing passes by 8-10 inches?
Do like I did. Sell it and buy a Toro Super Recycler! I'm SO happy I did. Cuts so much better, doesn't leave large ruts, and the drive system is lightyears better than Honda's. I've owned 6 Honda vehicles and 2 Honda motorcycles. We're a Honda family, but their mower SUCKS! I have a post on here about the tests and experiments I did. I shouldn't have to fart around with an "elite" piece of equipment. It just needs to work. But it doesn't. I paid Honda to Engineer it.
I am looking to exclusively mulch and this is not what I expected from a $700 mower.
Same here. I was very disappointed. I love the Toro Super Recycler.