21/22" self propelled mower recommendation.

The place for discussions about mowers, stripers, edgers, weeders, etc.
daimbert
Grass Type: Hogan Blend TTTF
Lawn Size: Not Specified
Level: Not Specified

21/22" self propelled mower recommendation.

Post by daimbert » May 29th, 2017, 1:26 pm

Hello everyone,

In the market for a new mower. Currently have a Club Cadet SC100 push mower that does a fine job but considering my wife mows on occasion she rather have a self propelled model. I am looking at spending $500 - 700 and hope to find something that will last. My lawn is TTTF, which is fairly thick, and with the exception of it being a little bumpy it is fairly flat.

I was looking at three mowers, Honda HRX, Honda HRR, and Toro Smart tow. It seems the Honda has great mowers but several people are having issues with the cut? The toro seem good but several of my friends say the Briggs motor are having issues.

Any info or suggestion of other mower would greatly be appreciated.

Riverpilot
Grass Type: Northern Mix
Lawn Size: 3000-5000
Level: Experienced

Re: 21/22" self propelled mower recommendation.

Post by Riverpilot » May 29th, 2017, 4:35 pm

If you like the Cub Cadet, they do have models that are self propelled.
As for the Honda's. I've had both the HRR and HRX with mixed results with both. The HRX, for me anyways, one has to walk pretty slow for it to mulch properly without leaving any trailers. The HRR I was able to walk faster, but at times needed to slow down to get through really thick/wet grass.

I haven't had Toro in years, but... I know they have Toro now with Honda engines.
Which dealer you have around is also important. Unless you're just going to Home Depot or something.

I'm actually looking at mowers again just because of the occasional grass trailers I get. Not sure what I'll end up with, if I actually do that. :)

andy10917
Grass Type: Emblem KBG (Front); Blueberry KBG Monostand (Back)
Lawn Size: 1 acre-2 acre
Level: Advanced

Post by andy10917 » May 29th, 2017, 4:46 pm

I love my HRX-217, and adore the cut quality. I have a lawn tractor for the back yard, but I cut the Back with the Honda because of the cut quality when I can spare the time (the Front always gets the Honda, period). Mrs10917 often helps me with the Back and has asked about getting a second Honda. My sons also have Honda 217's at their homes, and are happy with them.

I think the walking pace is reasonable for anyone that is not racing to complete the job.

daimbert
Grass Type: Hogan Blend TTTF

Post by daimbert » May 29th, 2017, 5:49 pm

Riverpilot- I have checked the other club but they seem to poor reviews and their controls are odd.

Andy10917- so you haven't experienced any of the "stragglers" issues other have mentioned

A buddy mine has suggested that for the money I am putting in for a Honda I could get a Snapper ninja mower. Any thoughts? I honestly do need both mowing and mulching as I sometimes don't have time to mow twice a week but all my neighbors leaves end up on my yard in fall.

andy10917
Grass Type: Emblem KBG (Front); Blueberry KBG Monostand (Back)
Lawn Size: 1 acre-2 acre
Level: Advanced

Post by andy10917 » May 29th, 2017, 6:03 pm

Andy10917- so you haven't experienced any of the "stragglers" issues other have mentioned
Not unless I was pushing to get the yard done quickly, or had waited until the lawn was very tall.

Grass Type: Quack, No Mix

Post by 1977212 » May 29th, 2017, 6:18 pm

Lots of decent ones on Craigslist. Can't go wrong with some posted. https://longisland.craigslist.org/grd/6103757194.html

marshalltj
Grass Type: Bermuda

Post by marshalltj » June 1st, 2017, 2:35 pm

I have a HRX-217 and love it, but for the money that Snapper Ninja series looks pretty sweet.

EngineerDave
Grass Type: Northern Mix

Post by EngineerDave » June 23rd, 2017, 10:36 pm

Totally not going to shamelessly plug my current ongoing review of the Dave-propelled version, but apparently Ryobi has a 20" self propelled 40v mower now for $399 at the ol' orange box's online store... Would love to have someone review one of the electric self propellers. :)

Chris LI
Grass Type: KBG/NoMix, TTTF/KBG, KBG/FF
Level: Some Experience

Post by Chris LI » August 14th, 2017, 9:52 pm

daimbert,

I love my Snapper Hi Vac. I have four different blades, but my favorites are the Ninja for its fine mulching (with mulch plug kit) during the spring lush growth (and early fall recovery) and the Gator. The Gator has some lift which minimizes flop this time of year when my HOC is 4" and it obliterates leaves in the fall which you mentioned is an issue from your neighbors. I bought the side discharge chute and can blow through 2' deep piles of leaves with the Gator with no problem when I'm inundated with leaves. I run over them a few times and turn them into dust!

I think the HRX and S Recycler have a slight better cut quality than the Hi Vac when mulching, so next time I would buy the Ninja deck (and buy the bagging kit) which is flared outwards to enhance mulching as opposed to the Hi Vac which has a rolled lip under the deck to enhance bagging. The Snapper mowers have interchangeable parts between the different types of deck designs, so I like the versatility. I also like the simplicity of the drive system.

kevreh
Grass Type: Front Yard: 2013 TTTF reno (faith, cochise, turbo, ls1200), Back: 2013 KBG reno (bewitched, midnight, prosperity)

Post by kevreh » August 16th, 2017, 3:22 pm

I'm getting the Toro Super Recycler with the blade stop feature. Just sold my EGO electric mower and old Toro. Been told the mulching capability of the Super Recycler is pretty good. Blad stop is for when I need to stop to empty the bag or pickup dead branches.

Chris LI
Grass Type: KBG/NoMix, TTTF/KBG, KBG/FF
Level: Some Experience

Post by Chris LI » August 17th, 2017, 10:01 am

kevreh,

That's a great choice. If I was still bagging all of my leaves to for in my vegetable garden, I would have chosen that model to replace my John Deere 14SB, which has the blade brake clutch. I used to keep a large wheeled bin near me to deposit leaves from the catcher every few feet when the bag would fill every 30 secs to a minute. It was quite efficient...plenty of OM for the garden. Now, I tend to go nuts mulching all the leaves into the lawn, I have to make sure I bag enough for the garden!

kevreh
Grass Type: Front Yard: 2013 TTTF reno (faith, cochise, turbo, ls1200), Back: 2013 KBG reno (bewitched, midnight, prosperity)

Post by kevreh » August 22nd, 2017, 2:22 pm

I've used the super recycler 2x now. Great mower, many upgrades over the recycler. The blade stop is my favorite, with the smooth wheels and lift mechanism for each wheel a close 2nd. The only thing I gave up is a 22" deck. One inch isn't going to make a huge difference.