Mulching or regular blades?

The place for discussions about mowers, stripers, edgers, weeders, etc.
PSU4ME
Grass Type: Front: Bewitched/Midnight/Everglade Back: Midnight/Diva/Everest
Lawn Size: 20000-1 acre
Level: Some Experience

Mulching or regular blades?

Post by PSU4ME » May 31st, 2017, 1:40 pm

As some of you know/may remember, i just bought a new x380. I had the integrated mulching installed with it and they also put the mulching blades on it.

My question is around which blades I should be using now....since i'm not mulching anything but the grass, should i have the regular blades on it or are the mulching blades just as good? Would the regular blades give me a cleaner cut?

Thanks

bpgreen
Grass Type: Western, Streambank, Crested wheatgrass in front (with blue grama added in the heckstrips), sheep fescue in back; strawberry clovetr in both
Lawn Size: 3000-5000
Level: Experienced

Re: Mulching or regular blades?

Post by bpgreen » May 31st, 2017, 3:15 pm

I've always mulched, but have never had mulching blades. Long ago, I'd just mow and let the grass shoot out the side. Now, I use the cover instead of the bag attachment, so the grass gets cut several additional times before dropping.

If I had mulching blades, I'd use them just to get some additional mulching to the grass, but I don't know if it's needed if you're using a mulching configuration for the mower.

Swamp_Fox
Grass Type: KBG, Creeping Red, Rye
Lawn Size: Not Specified
Level: Not Specified

Re: Mulching or regular blades?

Post by Swamp_Fox » June 1st, 2017, 7:19 pm

Congrats on the X380! I use the gator blades on my 455 to pretty good effect, my lawn is able to digest my clippings at a better rate than the standard high lift JD blades. Though I'm sure Deere's mulching blades work well too.