Toro recycler vs Toro super recycler?

The place for discussions about mowers, stripers, edgers, weeders, etc.
lawnal
Grass Type: Tall Fescue
Lawn Size: Not Specified
Level: Not Specified

Toro recycler vs Toro super recycler?

Post by lawnal » June 9th, 2017, 3:42 pm

Hello

So i'm looking to replace my 24v worx 16" lawnmower and came across Toro recycler line. I'm stuck on trying to decide if super recycler is worth the extra cost vs non super model.
I have a small yard under 1k sqf.
What I'm mainly looking for is good mulching and vacuum suction as my grass refuses to stand up in few spots. My worx model keeps leaving wheel trails of flat grass.

My garage space is at a premium too so stow away model of recycler will be good, but i don't want to sacrifice mulching.

Any thoughts?

thank you

Alex

mitten
Grass Type: Midnight, Diva, Everglade KBG, plus Fiesta4 PR and Zodiac Fescue
Lawn Size: 3000-5000
Level: Some Experience

Re: Toro recycler vs Toro super recycler?

Post by mitten » June 23rd, 2017, 11:01 am

My local Toro dealer has a display with the differences between the recycler and the super recycler. It's quite clear the super recycler is more robust. For 1K it probably doesn't matter if you're looking to save a few bucks. I love my Super Recycler but I spend 2 hours a week mowing so it was worth buying the "top of the line" Toro model.

lawnal

Post by lawnal » June 24th, 2017, 7:36 am

Thank you

TLAR
Grass Type: Zoysia

Post by TLAR » June 26th, 2017, 8:09 pm

I think the Toro with SmartStow would be ideal for you. A yard the size of yours probably takes 5+/- minutes to mow, too bad the electric is not powerful enough.

lawnal

Post by lawnal » July 6th, 2017, 8:26 am

Thank you. I might try out greenworks 80v pro . Just waiting for sales for now

micvog
Grass Type: Mazama Monostand
Lawn Size: 1000-3000

Post by micvog » July 6th, 2017, 11:56 am

FWIW Costco.com has the Greenworks 80v at $450.

Regarding the Toro, I recently switched from a Honda HRR to the Toro Super Recycler. At a $100 premium with the promos, I felt the SR was worth it. But, if I had it to do over again, I would have purchased the standard Toro from HD. I thought having a local dealer to service the mower would have been a "plus", but they have turned out to be a disaster (they damaged the carb when they "setup" the mower and it has been downhill since). If you go the SR route, I would make sure you have a good dealer first.

nclawnguy
Grass Type: tttf
Lawn Size: 20000-1 acre
Level: Advanced

Post by nclawnguy » July 9th, 2017, 3:34 am

I've owned 2 super recycler mowers and 2 recyclers. I will say the sr4 is a much better mower. I picked up one cheap, one off Craigslist and the other one was a 2 year old sr from someone who was moving. The cut quality of the sr4 is amazing compared to the recycler. I still own both sr4's although I do not use them anymore since I moved, yard is too big now. The older one, a 2006 model, is being borrowed by my brother in law. Still runs great. The newer one I keep as a back up.

jglongisland
Grass Type: KBG

Post by jglongisland » July 16th, 2017, 3:07 pm

I have the Smart Stow because my new place has limited space. The cut just isn't that great, especially for mulching. When bagging its pretty good. The design is awesome, I wish they made a higher end model with the SmartStow feature.

I've spent an insane amount of time planting this new property; over the next 6-9 months I'm going to try to re-organize my garage and try to figure out how to get a regular mower in there. Still need to find a spot for a snowblower (going to probably get one of the Ahrens narrow ones).

Smolenski7
Grass Type: Northern Mix
Lawn Size: 10000-20000

Post by Smolenski7 » July 16th, 2017, 7:49 pm

Just to note, any lawn mower you buy will not make the grass stand up straight because of suction. The grass that you are speaking about may be laying down for other reasons, but it's not because your lawn mower has poor suction.

Also, with a lawn that small go with the Smart Stow, you absolutely will not notice any difference in the cut between it and any other Toro.

Good luck.

lawnal

Post by lawnal » July 17th, 2017, 8:49 am

Thank you. I still haven't decided on which model to get. I'm waiting for sales and might pickup one of the battery models. 40V or 80V models. Just need to decide on which one to get. So far contenders are:
Greenworks 40v
Greenworks 80v
Ego 56v

kevreh
Grass Type: Front Yard: 2013 TTTF reno (faith, cochise, turbo, ls1200), Back: 2013 KBG reno (bewitched, midnight, prosperity)

Post by kevreh » August 16th, 2017, 3:32 pm

nclawnguy wrote:
July 9th, 2017, 3:34 am
I've owned 2 super recycler mowers and 2 recyclers. I will say the sr4 is a much better mower. I picked up one cheap, one off Craigslist and the other one was a 2 year old sr from someone who was moving. The cut quality of the sr4 is amazing compared to the recycler. I still own both sr4's although I do not use them anymore since I moved, yard is too big now. The older one, a 2006 model, is being borrowed by my brother in law. Still runs great. The newer one I keep as a back up.
That's good to hear, I sold my Recycler and am planning to get the SR. Is it amazing because of the mulching capability, does it lift the grass more, or something else?

nclawnguy
Grass Type: tttf
Lawn Size: 20000-1 acre
Level: Advanced

Post by nclawnguy » September 2nd, 2017, 3:01 pm

kevreh wrote:
August 16th, 2017, 3:32 pm
nclawnguy wrote:
July 9th, 2017, 3:34 am
That's good to hear, I sold my Recycler and am planning to get the SR. Is it amazing because of the mulching capability, does it lift the grass more, or something else?
Its got kickers underneath the deck that cause the clippings to be mulched up again. Its also has a cast aluminium deck.

Green
Grass Type: KBG, TTTF, TTPR, and FF (various mixtures)
Lawn Size: 10000-20000
Level: Experienced

Post by Green » September 3rd, 2017, 8:33 pm

Isn't stainless steel better (but heavier) than aluminum for mower decks? I forgot which brand it is...Honda maybe...that uses stainless steel on most of it's product line. I saw a video on youtube from a pro LCO a while back showing how the aluminum deck had deformed with use over time, resulting in uneven height along the width of the cut.