Black and Decker Edger - anyone used it?

The place for discussions about mowers, stripers, edgers, weeders, etc.
Green
Grass Type: KBG, TTTF, TTPR, and FF (various mixtures)
Lawn Size: 10000-20000
Level: Experienced

Black and Decker Edger - anyone used it?

Post by Green » June 15th, 2017, 11:08 pm

Anyone used the Black and Decker edger that you plug into the wall?

My main question is how it handles areas that have never been edged or areas that haven't been edged in a long time, where the grass encroaches several inches past the border. With the gas wheeled edger I used to borrow loosening of the sod using a small hand spade. I could then re-plant the sod somewhere else. Would I be able to do the same with the B&D electric edger? That is, cut through tough turf, and have salvageable sod after? Can it handle dense grass? I realize it's a stick edger versus a wheeled edger.

HoosierLawnGnome
Grass Type: Blueberry KBG
Lawn Size: 1 acre-2 acre
Level: Advanced

Re: Black and Decker Edger - anyone used it?

Post by HoosierLawnGnome » June 16th, 2017, 9:35 am

I had one at my last place. It worked well but the cord was a pain. It was pretty strong, much stronger than my cordless. Honestly if it isn't strong enough for your needs I'd just return it and say so.

mitten
Grass Type: Midnight, Diva, Everglade KBG, plus Fiesta4 PR and Zodiac Fescue
Lawn Size: 3000-5000
Level: Some Experience

Post by mitten » June 16th, 2017, 10:49 am

Another idea is just to hire a lawn care company (just 1 time) to cut a new edge for you. It's likely not very expensive since they typically include edging with their cutting every other time. You could then maintain the edge yourself with the electric edger.

Green

Post by Green » June 16th, 2017, 1:10 pm

My original post didn't come out right for some reason.

I was trying to say, I used to borrow a gas wheeled edger. After running it along the edge, I used a small hand spade to loosen the sod.

Can I do the same thing with the Black and Decker? Would it produce salvageable sod, too? Every video I've seen of someone using one, I've yet to see salvageable sod.

The real test is whether it can trench a new bed. If it can, then it'll work.

Green

Post by Green » June 16th, 2017, 2:34 pm

HLG: I use a corded blower and string trimmer. While the cords can be super annoying and even dangerous at times (can't tell you the number of times I've been using the blower, and pull the cord out accidently in the middle of it), I've gotten pretty good at it overall.

Good to hear it was pretty strong. Any overheating issues?

I have a neighbor who used to one, but has since moved to a better gas model. I'm not sure if the old version was the same as today's. But he had really good results. In fact, this guy is the edging champion...I've never, ever seen a better edge anywhere. Of course, it helps that his grade up to the sidewalk is just right. I'll never get a perfect edge along the driveway, because the driveway wasn't made straight in the first place, and the grade is off.

Just want something reliable and strong enough to do the job.

HoosierLawnGnome
Grass Type: Blueberry KBG
Lawn Size: 1 acre-2 acre
Level: Advanced

Post by HoosierLawnGnome » June 16th, 2017, 10:58 pm

Hell, I'd do what he's doing!

KMartel has some good edging posts here! OMG I drooooooollllll....

The first cut is always a little harder. Once you get through that, it becomes a lot easier. It's hard to answer "can it cut sod". Mine did fine on those tufts that grew an inch deep over an edge. But you might want to set it higher and work your way down if it's the first edge after a long time of overgrowth and soil shifting onto the sidewalks.

Green

Post by Green » June 17th, 2017, 12:20 am

Thanks. It sounds like a good edger. Any idea if there are multiple versions of it?

Or competitors' offerings that are similar, but better? I only saw the Worx model advertised as a competitor, and the reviews weren't as good (blade loosens/falls off was a common one on it).

No joke...this guy's edging is the best I've ever seen...better than anyone on here has ever posted, better than the lawn care nut on youtube, better than any pro job I've seen, and better than the guys do on their hands and knees at world-class resorts on the beach in Florida. He used to be out there once every couple of weeks making sparks with that edger...but after many years of it, I think he's actually worn down the sidewalks and given them nicer edges, too! I'll never have as good an edge because of the grade and way the driveway was made...but I can get it looking decent. It sounds like this tool will allow me to do it and is going to be a good option.

DevilDawg81
Grass Type: KBG, PRG, Fescue mix
Lawn Size: 2 acre-5 acre
Level: Some Experience

Post by DevilDawg81 » June 17th, 2017, 7:40 am

I own the B&D edger, and have had one for what is the eighth summer. I've found that when I tie the cords together in somewhat of a small knot it helps, especially when I'm far from my outlet.

I realize it's probably not the best edger on the ,Ariel, but it gets the job done. I may have to go over a spot several times back and forth to get it just right, but again, this edger gets the job done.

superkaz661
Grass Type: Tall Fescue
Lawn Size: Not Specified
Level: Not Specified

Post by superkaz661 » June 20th, 2017, 10:48 am

[quote=DevilDawg81 post_id=309681 time=1497699651 user_id=8143]
I've found that when I tie the cords together in somewhat of a small knot it helps, especially when I'm far from my outlet.
[/quote]

Lots of people do this (tie the cords in a knot), but I strongly advise against it. Your extension cords are stranded copper. Repeated tight bends are just asking for metal fatigue and premature failure.

They make couplers that hold the cords together. Only like $6. Well worth it.