Spin, Relief, or Spin plus Relief Grind

The place for discussions about mowers, stripers, edgers, weeders, etc.
gradyb
Grass Type: Bermuda Tifway
Lawn Size: Not Specified
Level: Not Specified

Spin, Relief, or Spin plus Relief Grind

Post by gradyb » June 27th, 2017, 7:22 pm

I am looking for opinions on grinding reels. My situation is I have a dependable person who spin grinds my reels (Tru Cut & Baroness). In between grinding I maintain my reels with back lapping and bedknife facing. I know I need relief on my reels in order to back lap effectively and not sure if I am getting it from the spin grind.

Should I stop backlapping and continue with the spin grind or search for someone who will Spin plus Relief Grind?

I will hang up and wait for your answers.

Gradyb

palms
Grass Type: Tif 419

Re: Spin, Relief, or Spin plus Relief Grind

Post by palms » July 1st, 2017, 7:19 pm

Gradyb - I don't have a good answer specific to your question, but my Tru-Cut always gets a relief grind and I've been quite happy with my success backlapping when needed during the season. Biggest challenge for me was getting a solid feel for the Tru-Cut reel to bedknife adjustment due to the nature of the design.

Also, I'm in the greater Atlanta area and would be grateful if you would be willing to share where you get the Baroness ground...I've been seriously contemplating an upgrade to a Baroness (big fan of he gear-driven design), but from what I understand their carbon steel reels require a harder grinding stone than what is typically required for Toro, JD, or Jacobsen machines. Many thanks!

gradyb

Post by gradyb » July 2nd, 2017, 4:54 pm

Palms - A guy by the name of Greg Railey does my grinding. He does it on the side in his garage with a spin grinder. At one time Greg worked at Specialty Car Company in Stone Mountain where I bought my Baroness Mower. They quit selling Baroness and had new 2010 models stored away and I purchased one in 2015. Greg has not mentioned it being difficult to grind.

I just found Jerry Pate Turf and Irrigation in Atlanta that said they would spin and relief grind so I may give them a try.

gradyb

palms

Post by palms » July 2nd, 2017, 6:48 pm

Thanks for the info...very much appreciated. Congrats on the Baroness find! Sounds likely that you scored a nice deal on the mower. Any particular gripes or issues with the Baroness since you've owned and used it? I fully understand that it's a different animal vice a Tru-Cut, etc but was curious if you've encountered any particular issues with the Baroness that you weren't expecting or couldn't handle without professional help. Thanks again for the info and feedback.

gradyb

Post by gradyb » July 2nd, 2017, 8:34 pm

Maintaining and operating the Baroness has been a learning experience. Here are some quick thoughts:
Maintaining:
* Gear driven mower so there are many grease fittings to monitor.
* To my knowledge the only parts location is Richmond, California. Unless you complete a credit application you have to order parts, receive an invoice, send a check, wait till check received, parts shipped.
Operating:
* If your yard has any hills or slopes the aluminum rear drum will slip or slide around. I have a steep area it will not pull. The drum makes it challenging to traverse over or around driveways, walks etc. I have to use the Tru Cut in both situations and also for my perimeter passes.
* Be prepared to walk briskly, the reel will only turn when you are walking.
* You must cut in a straight line, turning will actually gouge the turf especially with the groomer attached.
* Can't adjust HOC (height of cut) on the fly so you gotta get the wrenches out. With all the rain lately I find myself grabbing the Tru Cut because it is quicker to raise or lower the HOC.

Having said the above, the Baroness after cut appearance is better. With the attachments it will groom, brush and de-thatch which will improve your turf. There is probably not a better greens mower on the market. However, it is a greens mower meant for wide open areas.

gradyb

palms

Post by palms » July 3rd, 2017, 7:05 pm

First - apologies for derailing the original query of your thread.

Second - thank you for the additional insight and perspective on the Baroness.

Your feedback is very much appreciated and has been quite insightful. My front 7k of Tif-419 contains about 3.5k or so of long, curvy, bowling alley type sections (on a long entry into a cul-de-sac bisected with a community sidewalk) so your specific feedback about making turns with the Baroness has given me something more to consider prior to upgrading. Also, good to know info pertaining to the parts chain...could certainly make a big difference during a crisis in the middle of the season. Thanks! As much as I'm reluctant to concede, it seems that the geometry of my lawn might be best suited to the Tru-Cut w/ roller I have vice the desired upgrade to a greens-type mower. The Tru-Cut digs in a little bit on the outside of the curve if I'm not paying careful attention, but I really have no other choice but to mow along with the elongated sweeping s-shape of the majority of the front lawn. Thanks again!

-palms

gradyb

Post by gradyb » July 4th, 2017, 9:23 am

No problem. I don't want to talk you out of a greens mower but wanted to provide some notable insights. If you don't have a front roller it is an upgrade I recommend.

Enjoy the 4th!
gradyb