Looking at a Tru cut

The place for discussions about mowers, stripers, edgers, weeders, etc.
AndyLawnNewb
Grass Type: Bermuda
Lawn Size: Not Specified
Level: Not Specified

Looking at a Tru cut

Post by AndyLawnNewb » June 29th, 2017, 9:42 pm

Hey guys,

I have been using a Fiskars stay sharp mower and am about ready to get something that will self propel itself. I see a Trucut mower on craigslist for $400 with a Briggs engine. Here are the pictures, I dont know too much about gas powered reel mowers but wanted help from you all on this.

Any questions I should be asking this seller?

Is $400 a good deal?

Thanks!

gradyb
Grass Type: Bermuda Tifway

Re: Looking at a Tru cut

Post by gradyb » June 30th, 2017, 2:44 pm

Andy,

Noticed no one has responded to your post. It appears from the pics that the mower is a 20 inch cut, 7 blade with a 3.5 Briggs and Stratton. I am not sure of the year it is and I don't think you can determine working condition without taking it for a spin. The $400 asking price may or may not be a good value.

You can't beat a Tru-Cut for a residential powered reel mower. I have a Tru-Cut 20 inch cut with a 5.0 Honda for my bermuda. It is fine for a 3/4 or 1/2 acre yard but if your yard is larger than that I would purchased something bigger like a 25 or 27 inch cut. I use every bit of the 5.0 horses for my thick bermuda so not sure if the 3.5 horse will do what you need. It has a roller so that is a plus.

My advice is find a friend with some reel mower experience and go look it over.

gradyb

AndyLawnNewb
Grass Type: Bermuda

Post by AndyLawnNewb » June 30th, 2017, 4:29 pm

Okay I ended up buying it today for $375 and it runs great, I just tried the front yard and it cut it very low even on the highest setting. I have some brown spots now, so not sure exactly what I should do.

gradyb
Grass Type: Bermuda Tifway

Post by gradyb » June 30th, 2017, 4:56 pm

The highest setting on my Tru Cut is 1 and 7/8 so you must have been cutting above 2 inches with the Fiskars. For comparison I am cutting at 7/8. Do you have common bermuda or a hybrid?

gradyb