Suggestions 3-4 Port Hose Timer for Reno....

The place for discussions about mowers, stripers, edgers, weeders, etc.
northeastlawn
Grass Type: KBG
Lawn Size: 1000-3000
Level: Experienced

Suggestions 3-4 Port Hose Timer for Reno....

Post by northeastlawn » August 1st, 2017, 11:13 am

I have an Orbit 2 port timer I am planning on using for my Reno. I used to use one big Gardena Oscilating Sprinkler for most of the yard for one zone, then an impact sprinkler for under a tree. The lawn is about 1,500sf so sprinklers and a battery timer has served me well.

I think I may be better off running an impact sprinkler in each corner, along with the impact sprinkler under the tree. Using two sprinklers on the same line reduces the range of the sprinkler by half. I think I need a new timer with more ports.

I see menard has a $150 wifi version that has gotten mixed reviews and the 4 port Orbit one looks much different than the 2 port I have now.

One big problem I have now is that the Orbit one can't be set to avoid watering at night. I would like to only water between, say 7am and 5pm, 3-5 times a day depending on the heat. I can trick my current unit to not water over night by turning it on and off, but it really doesn't do it on its own. It would be nice if the new one could do this on its own.

Any recommendations on 3-4 port hose timers?

superkaz661
Grass Type: Tall Fescue
Lawn Size: Not Specified
Level: Not Specified

Re: Suggestions 3-4 Port Hose Timer for Reno....

Post by superkaz661 » August 1st, 2017, 1:09 pm

If you can find one, try the orbit 345-179. I picked one up for my mothers house earlier this year and its great. You can run multiple programs (3 I think), so it doesnt have to split the day equally to achieve multiple waterings.

chrispitude
Grass Type: northern/tall fescue

Post by chrispitude » August 1st, 2017, 8:12 pm

I have the 4-port Orbit 345-179 and it's excellent. It came with two valves and I had to buy two more.

It looks like the orange big-box store has some nice-looking Melnor options too.

northeastlawn
Grass Type: KBG
Lawn Size: 1000-3000

Post by northeastlawn » August 1st, 2017, 9:05 pm

So does the 4-port Orbit 345-179 actually water through the ports one at a time, or do you control which port gets water from a mechanical valve on a manifold?

I defiantly need the timer to water zone 1 first, then zone 2, then zone 3, ect...if all 4 ports were on at the same time I wouldn't have enough pressure.

STL
Grass Type: TTTF

Post by STL » August 1st, 2017, 11:01 pm

The orbit 4 zone timer does each zone separately via the auto valves. You can do up to 4 timed watering per day, 5 if you do the first or last using the manual feature.

SyNtAxx
Grass Type: KBG: Blueberry/Prosperity/Bewitched
Lawn Size: 1 acre-2 acre

Post by SyNtAxx » August 18th, 2017, 9:16 pm

i use the melnor 4 port units for 2 years now. Set and forget. Auto pilot.