Uncut strip with riding mower

The place for discussions about mowers, stripers, edgers, weeders, etc.
reggie517
Grass Type: TTTF/KBG
Lawn Size: 5000-10000
Level: Some Experience

Uncut strip with riding mower

Post by reggie517 » August 9th, 2017, 1:03 pm

Alright I am going crazy. When I mow my lawn on my 28" Snapper RER I keep getting a strip in between passes that remains uncut so it is taking me twice as long to mow because I have to go over the sections again.

It happens with both my Gator and Ninja mulching blades (worse with the Ninja) and both were freshly sharpened and put on the right way.

I have tried going over my previous path with tire on the inside edge and also lining up the mower deck to the edge of the previous pass but no matter what I try I still get a strip and it is driving me crazy!

I mow on the highest setting and I did notice when I mow the back yard on the second highest setting (grass grows slower out back) it doesn't seem to be as bad. Could the high cutting be an issue and there isn't enough lift?

Thanks for the help!

HSB3-LI
Grass Type: Blueberry, Midnight, Prosperity Kentucky Bluegrass
Level: Experienced

Re: Uncut strip with riding mower

Post by HSB3-LI » August 9th, 2017, 9:35 pm

I found similar problems with my old 28" RER as well leaving stragglers, particularly in the tire tracks of the previous pass. The gator blades I used worked very well except when on the higher cut height setting. I usually dropped the height lower than desired just to avoid this. Using a factory high lift blade provided a nicer cut at the taller heights, but then I had to deal with larger clippings left behind if I didn't mow often enough

reggie517
Grass Type: TTTF/KBG
Level: Some Experience

Post by reggie517 » August 9th, 2017, 10:09 pm

Glad I am not the only one with this problem. I might try it at a lower height and see if that improves it.

Thanks!

TimmyG
Grass Type: Northern Mix
Lawn Size: 20000-1 acre
Level: Experienced

Post by TimmyG » August 9th, 2017, 10:42 pm

I don't recall ever having this problem, but I also never mowed at height 5...at least not that I remember.