HRX217VKA for mulching leaves only

The place for discussions about mowers, stripers, edgers, weeders, etc.
tph018
Grass Type: Northern Mix (KBG, PRG)
Lawn Size: 1 acre-2 acre
Level: Experienced

HRX217VKA for mulching leaves only

Post by tph018 » August 9th, 2017, 9:04 pm

Hi,

Is a Honda HRX217VKA too much of a lawn mower for only mulching leaves during each autumn?

I'm happy with my existing lawn mowing service for my 2 acre lot of land in Connecticut. I'm thinking about further increasing the organic matter in my soil and am considering purchasing a Honda HRX217VKA (http://powerequipment.honda.com/lawn-mo ... /hrx217vka) for the express purpose of mulching leaves onto the yard during the autumn months, especially towards the tail end of the grass cutting season as the grass growth comes to a halt. I know I could reach out to the existing lawn mowing service and request that they make periodic visits to mulch mow all the leaves every week or every other week but I figure it would be more worthwhile to mulch mow the leaves myself. Again, I do not plan to use the lawn mower throughout the rest of the year as I use a lawn mowing service already.

I've been gravitating toward lawn mowers with Honda engines because of their reliability. Furthermore, I figure a 190cc engine (which is the engine that the HRX217VKA is equipped with) would be better able to handle leaf mulching for the volume I expect to see with a 2 acre lot of land.

In terms of lawn mowing equipment, is the HRX217VKA overkill (in terms of price, engine size, capabilities) if I were to use it simply for mulching leaves only?

May you recommend any other push mowers for consideration, for only mulching leaves in the autumn?

Thanks!

Jackpine
Grass Type: N.W. Mi. KBG blend
Lawn Size: 3000-5000
Level: Experienced

Re: HRX217VKA for mulching leaves only

Post by Jackpine » August 10th, 2017, 7:11 am

Possibly overkill depending on how deep a layer of leaves you do at a time. I have the HRR216 and can do 4" of leaves with 3 passes to get them to fingernail size or a bit bigger. Works best at lower cutting heights of 2" to 2-1/2".