Chapin 20V Issues

The place for discussions about mowers, stripers, edgers, weeders, etc.
PSU4ME
Grass Type: Front: Bewitched/Midnight/Everglade Back: Midnight/Diva/Everest
Lawn Size: 20000-1 acre
Level: Some Experience

Chapin 20V Issues

Post by PSU4ME » September 1st, 2017, 10:05 am

Well, I got this sprayer for Father's day and gave my Dad my old manual pump one (first mistake).

On the second use, the "spray power" would seem to be cut in half about 2/3rds through my yard.....this time i just finished it out with the diminished spray. Stunk cause it was slow.

Then two other times it did something similar but it would push through and restore itself.

Now, on my 4th use, it stopped the full spray about 1/3rd into the yard and then it started sputterring......and then it died.

So I dumped money into a new battery. Not the issue

Called Chapin - they said it was likely the switch on the bottom so they sent me a new black bottom piece. Hooked it up today......same thing.

So this thing only has the pump left. I talked to them this morning - against their process, the nice lady on the phone said she'd send me a new one and i can send back the old one.

Anyone ever have this issue?

mtroberts20
Grass Type: Front: Northern Mix; Back: TTTF (Regenerate)
Level: Experienced

Re: Chapin 20V Issues

Post by mtroberts20 » September 1st, 2017, 12:36 pm

Sounds pretty similar to this problem: viewtopic.php?f=7&t=22866

I also had a similar issue the first time using it, but after reading the posts linked above, I unscrewed the spray nozzle to inspect and found a little piece of something that was clogging the hole. Cleaned it out, and it worked flawlessly after that.

PSU4ME

Post by PSU4ME » September 1st, 2017, 3:51 pm

I had everything but the pump apart, cleaned it and I could blow through it. Still did it with water. It's happened with prodiamine, CGM and BLSC/KH.

I didn't want to take the pump apart. I would assume these things are built to pump in solution liquid right? I do clean it out each time

Othertime
Grass Type: Bewitched KBG
Lawn Size: Not Specified
Level: Not Specified

Post by Othertime » September 3rd, 2017, 12:39 am

I have had 2 of these things go bad, each replaced by Chapin. Third time they upgraded me to the 24v. Seems to be working so far.

The first two sprayers crapped out while spraying heritage, dry flowable. So irritating when it dies midway through spray. If this 24v dies I'm calling it quits on these sprayer. They are finiky.

PSU4ME

Post by PSU4ME » September 7th, 2017, 12:28 pm

So I got the "new" on in last night. Out of the box i saw that the "on/off" switch wasn't there. The switch housing was but the physical toggle piece wasn't. So I figured I'd take the replacement switch bottom they sent me to fix the old unit and just swap out the switch. Sounds easy.

Well as I started to unscrew the neck collar until I realized that someone had severely over tightened it to the point where it almost broke......the square nut is embedded in the plastic now.

Got that off and started to disconnect the wires......as Murphy would have it, the wires pulled right out of the connection, barely tugged on it.

So after going over everything (don't trust it now), i had to use the old switch and old neck collar from the old pump and I had to redo the connections.

I hope this doesn't give me further issues or i'll go back to a manual spray - getting ridiculous!