Tru Cut Wheel Drive Question

The place for discussions about mowers, stripers, edgers, weeders, etc.
gradyb
Grass Type: Bermuda Tifway
Lawn Size: Not Specified
Level: Not Specified

Tru Cut Wheel Drive Question

Post by gradyb » September 11th, 2017, 3:56 pm

Checking my logic here. To adjust the wheel drive clutch I loosen the jam nut outside and hold the inside nut. Do I turn the jam nut left or right? I have it jammed tight at the present and don't want to torque it any more. Help much appreciated.

gradyb

gradyb

Re: Tru Cut Wheel Drive Question

Post by gradyb » September 12th, 2017, 5:56 pm

Help! Should I turn the outside jam nut for the wheel drive clockwise or counter clockwise to loosen it?

gradyb

ken-n-nancy
Grass Type: Front: KBG (Bewitched+Prosperity); Side: Bewitched KBG; Back: Fine Fescue Blend + Prosperity
Lawn Size: 10000-20000
Level: Experienced

Post by ken-n-nancy » September 12th, 2017, 10:47 pm

gradyb wrote:
September 12th, 2017, 5:56 pm
Help! Should I turn the outside jam nut for the wheel drive clockwise or counter clockwise to loosen it?
It's hard to tell from the photo, but in real life can you see the threaded portion of the shaft on which the jam nut is fastened? If so, you should be able to tell if the threads are right-handed (normal threads, clockwise would tighten) or left-handed (very unusual threads; clockwise would loosen).

When looking at the threaded shaft, visualize the nut moving along the threads -- if the nut is rotated clockwise, which direction will it move on the shaft? If clockwise rotation would move the nut further on to the shaft, then that will tighten it. If clockwise rotation would move the nut towards the open end of the shaft, then that will loosen it.

gradyb

Post by gradyb » September 13th, 2017, 8:48 am

Ken/Nancy

Thanks, I will give it a hard look and see if I can tell. It is jammed tight at the present.

gradyb