Buying a new mower tomorrow

The place for discussions about mowers, stripers, edgers, weeders, etc.
schreibdave
Grass Type: Bewitched, Award and Rhapsody
Lawn Size: 10000-20000
Level: Experienced

Buying a new mower tomorrow

Post by schreibdave » October 8th, 2017, 11:20 pm

My 15 year old 21" craftsman walk behind died this afternoon with half the lawn mowed. I could bring it somewhere and sink some money into trouble shooting the problem and then fixing it. In which case I will be without a mower for a week or two. Better I think to invest that money in a new one. I have a bead on a used Honda HRX 21 for $250. My other option will be whatever Lowes and Home Depot have in stock. On a new one my budget would be between $300 and $350 or so.

Any thoughts or advice? I have about 15K sqft to mow and I exclusively mulch. Never bag.

micvog
Grass Type: Mazama Monostand
Lawn Size: 1000-3000
Level: Some Experience

Re: Buying a new mower tomorrow

Post by micvog » October 9th, 2017, 9:56 am

IMO, if the HRX is relatively recent and in good shape, you can't go wrong at that price. I would pick that up, clean the deck, change the oil and spark plug, either sharpen or replace the blades (depending on their condition), and verify the RPM is at ~3000 RPM.

Based on current personal experience with the Loncin-made Chinese knock-off of the Honda GCV engine, my next mower will have a genuine Honda engine (I had a mower with the Honda GCV160 previously). Not negotiable. Anything new in the price range, with a Honda engine, will have a cheap deck, and may not even be self-propelled.

HoosierLawnGnome
Grass Type: Blueberry KBG
Lawn Size: 1 acre-2 acre
Level: Advanced

Post by HoosierLawnGnome » October 9th, 2017, 10:21 am

15 years is a good life for a mower, so I wouldn't feel bad getting a new one. The HRX is raved about as a mulcher by many, so I think you're headed a good direction.

:good:

schreibdave

Post by schreibdave » October 9th, 2017, 11:11 am

Just brought the used Honda home. Hoping i dont have the "tires matt down the grass and it doesnt have enough suction to suck it back up" problem. I know tjat it doesnt have the "cant pull it backwards" problem. If it would stop raining i could give it a try.

schreibdave

Post by schreibdave » October 9th, 2017, 4:19 pm

Used it for abour 15 minutes before rain started again. Much nicer machine than my old craftsman. Grass was wet and high so i set deck at 4 inches. Not a usual mowing scenario for me so cant compare cut quality yet. I sharpened the blade but its trashed.

At first it was dying every 30 deconds then that stopped. Seller is a small engine repair guy so he will repair it if necessary.