Equipment recommendatons?

The place for discussions about mowers, stripers, edgers, weeders, etc.
mabehr
Grass Type: Tall Fescue, Kentucky Bluegrass
Lawn Size: Not Specified
Level: Not Specified

Equipment recommendatons?

Post by mabehr » October 24th, 2017, 10:15 am

I'm actually surprised that there isn't a pinned post here, but is there a "standard" list of recommended equipment? Starting even just with what you should own (mower, strimmer, spreader, hedge trimmer, sprayers, etc), as well as specific brands/models. Please save me the trouble of going through the learning curve myself!

I currently have a Fiskars push reel mower a Scott's mini-edgeguard rotary spreader, a Chapin hose-end mixer, and Dewalt 40V hedge trimmers & strimmer.

The Fiskars isn't great when the grass gets TOO high, however, and while a Robomow seems interesting, I still think I would need a traditional mower as a backup. Any recommendations for ~10,000 sq feet? I think a ride-on is probably overkill (and might not even be able to get into my side yard), and was thinking a self-propelled Toro (not sure the difference between Timecutter & Recycler, other than price) or Honda. I'd be open to an electric if I could find one with a big enough battery, or a replaceable one.

My rotary spreader busted, and I was considering replacing it with a drop spreader. Would the Scott's from HD suffice, or should I consider one of the $250 professional spreaders? I'm not sure what could *possibly* be worth the extra $200, but am open to listening. I think the general advice of this forum is to use liquids whenever possible, so maybe the spreader is only for grass seed?

WRT to sprayers, do hose ends do the job? Should I look at backpacks instead? And how many?

Any other equipment recommendations would be appreciated. Black Friday is coming up...

micvog
Grass Type: Mazama Monostand
Lawn Size: 1000-3000
Level: Some Experience

Re: Equipment recommendatons?

Post by micvog » October 24th, 2017, 12:49 pm

My two cents...

Regarding the lawnmower, isn't the TimeCutter is a zero-turn? Toro has the Recycler and SuperRecycler (SR) line of walk-behind mowers. The SR has a cast aluminum deck, "clipping accelerators" under the deck that theoretically improve mulching, potentially better engines and self-propel systems (depending on which Recycler you are looking at), and a longer warranty, over the standard Recycler line. I have owned both a Toro SR and a Honda HRR (their lower line), and even then I have found the Honda to be better built but the Toro provided a slightly better cut.

I think the "general advice to use liquids" is more for pre-emergent, and primarily because of the cost savings. Granular dimension is exponentially more expensive than generic Prodiamine 65WDG per app. For fertilizer apps, I believe an overwhelming majority use broadcast spreaders over a drop spreader, or a sprayer. There is nothing wrong a Scotts spreader, but more money gets you air-filled tires (makes it easier to push, especially over bumpy terrain), and a rod-lever instead of a cable-lever (I always had problems with the Scotts spreaders jamming with grains; a rod lever alleviates that issue). Earthway 2170 is a popular choice for people looking for the next step up from a Scotts spreader.

Lastly, I think hose-end and backpack sprayers are for different applications. For a specialized weed killer (e.g. Tenacity) or a liquid pre-emergent, you would want the precision/control from the backpack or 2G hand sprayer. Hose-end sprayers work well for the BL/ATY soil conditioner and I have lately started using it for Serenade.

mabehr

Post by mabehr » October 24th, 2017, 8:49 pm

You’re right, I got the model wrong: TimeMaster, not TimeCutter. They are MUCH more expensive, but also seem to be somewhat wider (30” vs 21/22”), among other differences.

https://www.mowersdirect.com/Toro-21199 ... 0bEALw_wcB

mabehr

Post by mabehr » October 24th, 2017, 8:53 pm

Oh, and thank you! The Earthway was exactly what I had been thinking of. And air filled tires do help explain the extra $$$

STL
Grass Type: TTTF

Post by STL » October 24th, 2017, 11:29 pm

I have a Timemaster, Earthway 2050 spreader without the pneumatic tires, Scott's Whizz spreader, a Chapin wet/dry hose-end sprayer, Field King Max backpack sprayer, another cheap handheld sprayer, Echo PAS trimmer/edger, Stihl handheld blower, and the grey 800lb Gorilla Cart. I think the Field King and the Gorilla Cart are great buys for the money, especially when you catch them on sale. I'll never use a wheelbarrow again after the Gorilla Cart.

I'm not a fan of drop spreaders and don't find them user friendly. If you get a nice one, or maybe with a better operator, perhaps that'd be a different story. For 10K, a wide deck large gas mower over an electric, mainly for the time savings. I do wish I would have looked at the electric hand held tools closer though.

HoosierLawnGnome
Grass Type: Blueberry KBG
Lawn Size: 1 acre-2 acre
Level: Advanced

Post by HoosierLawnGnome » October 25th, 2017, 8:46 am

There really aren't any shortcuts to learning what works for you.

I've reel mowed 7k before with a fiskars. Too much for me too!

Pick something you look forward to using. You will cut more often and enjoy it!

There are plenty of good recommendations above!

JohnP
Grass Type: KBG Mix

Post by JohnP » October 27th, 2017, 9:28 pm

HoosierLawnGnome wrote:
October 25th, 2017, 8:46 am
Pick something you look forward to using. You will cut more often and enjoy it!
This. The first year we owned our house I bought a Toro corded blower/mulcher. It worked fine, but the cord made me hate using it. I upgraded to a cordless Ego blower (had the mower) and used it far more often. Got the Ego blower for similar reason. Then upgraded this year to the Ego multi head system primarily because the edger I had was corded too. Use them far more often because I like them. Even get up on the roof now and clean the gutters out with the blower because I don't feel like I'm going to be dumb and trip over a cord and murder myself.

Gifted the corded equipment to a relative that just got her first house.

I do like my Chapin 20v backpack sprayer - the 4 gallons covers all my grass but I have a Husqvarna 2 gallon for small apps.

I'm planning to upgrade my spreader to an Earthway and will gift mine to my mom most likely. The Scott's isn't terrible but for as much as I used it this season something a little bigger, better control, and better tires will make it more enjoyable.