Spreader

The place for discussions about mowers, stripers, edgers, weeders, etc.
Trashbuner
Grass Type: Tall fescue
Lawn Size: 10000-20000
Level: Some Experience

Spreader

Post by Trashbuner » October 25th, 2017, 10:15 am

Hello everyone just joined this site, I' am looking forward to it because I noticed a lot of great information here. So let's get this party started. For starters I need information on the best rotatory spreader to use. My lawn is about 11,000 square feet. I've seen on this site that a lot of people are using the earthway 2170, which looks great. My question is how wide is the spread??? I seen lawn nut on you tube using earthway 2600A plus. How about it's spread. Any information on these two spreaders would be much appreciated or if there is a better opinion on a better spreader please let me know, thanks

ken-n-nancy
Grass Type: Front: KBG (Bewitched+Prosperity); Side: Bewitched KBG; Back: Fine Fescue Blend + Prosperity
Level: Experienced

Re: Spreader

Post by ken-n-nancy » October 25th, 2017, 12:17 pm

First off, welcome to the site!

I have an Earthway 2170. The spread width is about 3-4 times the width of the spreader -- I'd guess about 8-10 feet or so. The swath does vary a little depending upon how fast you walk and what you're spreading.

I really like the Earthway 2170 for my 12.5ksqft lawn, as it handily holds a 40# bag of Bay State Fertilizer (roughly equivalent to Milorganite) with plenty of extra room to spare, so that I can mix it up with micronutrients or sulfate of potash before spreading. It also has fine enough control of the output that I can spread urea at a rate of 1#product/ksqft (0.5#N/ksqft) reliably and consistently in a single pass with pretty even dispersal.

I bought my spreader used from craigslist, which saves a fair bit of $ and has the advantage of being already assembled (well, presuming the prior owner assembled it correctly!)

Trashbuner
Grass Type: Tall fescue
Level: Some Experience

Post by Trashbuner » October 25th, 2017, 6:12 pm

Thanks for reply, I'm just not sure about a 10 foot spread, does that mean 5 feet on each side of spreader. I have areas on the side of my house that's only about 6 foot wide with sidewalk does that mean fertilizer would go to waste on the sidewalks?? Thanks

ken-n-nancy
Grass Type: Front: KBG (Bewitched+Prosperity); Side: Bewitched KBG; Back: Fine Fescue Blend + Prosperity

Post by ken-n-nancy » October 25th, 2017, 10:55 pm

Trashbuner wrote:
October 25th, 2017, 6:12 pm
Thanks for reply, I'm just not sure about a 10 foot spread, does that mean 5 feet on each side of spreader. I have areas on the side of my house that's only about 6 foot wide with sidewalk does that mean fertilizer would go to waste on the sidewalks?? Thanks
The spreader is about 2 feet wide, so a 10 foot swath would be about 4 feet on both sides of the spreader.

TimmyG
Grass Type: Northern Mix
Lawn Size: 20000-1 acre

Post by TimmyG » October 26th, 2017, 1:33 am

Spread by hand in narrow areas, and corners, and other convoluted sections that don't accommodate a spreader. Even a cheapo Scott's spreader throws far.

FYI, I find the optional (extra cost) side-deflector kit to be a necessity on my Earthway 2170. Better yet, see Earthway 2170 with added pro shutoff.

STL
Grass Type: TTTF
Lawn Size: Not Specified
Level: Not Specified

Post by STL » October 26th, 2017, 4:43 pm

Scott's ~$20 battery powered whizz spreader will probably work for that small area. It has an edge guard feature which will reduce the throw even more if needed as well. I use one for urea and seed and it works well.