Scotts offers spreader replacement parts

The place for discussions about mowers, stripers, edgers, weeders, etc.
Green
Grass Type: KBG, TTTF, TTPR, and FF (various mixtures)
Lawn Size: 10000-20000
Level: Experienced

Scotts offers spreader replacement parts

Post by Green » November 30th, 2017, 10:40 pm

My Scotts spreader (Edgeguard Pro) broke recently. Today, I contacted them, and they're sending new parts. It's great that they are doing that. But, it's a fragile design. You really have to be careful what types of materials you use in it. Milorganite, Scotts products, and a few others have been ok. But other are not. Anything too rough or heavy, and it will wear down the plastic parts as the granules go through. Forget even thinking about using it for something heavy like SOP that is basically gravel.

andy10917
Grass Type: Emblem KBG (Front); Blueberry KBG Monostand (Back)
Lawn Size: 1 acre-2 acre
Level: Advanced

Re: Scotts offers spreader replacement parts

Post by andy10917 » November 30th, 2017, 10:45 pm

Look, it's a piece of crap. I bought one with the real tires 2 or 3 years ago and it broke. I took it back to HD and they gave me a new one. Repeat several times. I'll keep it up forever. It's a joke at this point. Using this [piece of equipment on an acre+ is torture and guaranteed failure.

PS: the new one is shiny. Like all of its predecessors.

Green

Post by Green » November 30th, 2017, 10:58 pm

I also have an Earthway 2030 P Plus...but I prefer the Scotts spreader a lot more for spreading very fine particles precisely. At least they do offer replacement parts for the Scotts. And, the Earthway handle is really short on that model...even for an average height guy like me.

andy10917
Grass Type: Emblem KBG (Front); Blueberry KBG Monostand (Back)
Lawn Size: 1 acre-2 acre
Level: Advanced

Post by andy10917 » November 30th, 2017, 11:06 pm

All the Earthway equipment is for midgets. I have the S15 sprayer and I'm 6' 6" tall. Nice sprayer but painful for me.

mitten
Grass Type: Midnight, Diva, Everglade KBG, plus Fiesta4 PR and Zodiac Fescue
Lawn Size: 3000-5000
Level: Some Experience

Post by mitten » December 2nd, 2017, 12:28 pm

Currently I have the Edgeguard Mini (too small for a 5000 sq ft lawn). I'm definitely going to upgrade for next season. I've been looking at Earthway spreaders online but I'm 6'1" so I'm not a "little person". I will say there is something nice about every fertilizer brand putting the Scotts setting on their bag. I would miss that if I bought something else. So I have toyed around with the idea of buying the Scotts Pro model instead. But I've also heard that wheels fall off on them...

Green

Post by Green » December 3rd, 2017, 9:36 pm

mitten wrote:
December 2nd, 2017, 12:28 pm
Currently I have the Edgeguard Mini (too small for a 5000 sq ft lawn). I'm definitely going to upgrade for next season. I've been looking at Earthway spreaders online but I'm 6'1" so I'm not a "little person". I will say there is something nice about every fertilizer brand putting the Scotts setting on their bag. I would miss that if I bought something else. So I have toyed around with the idea of buying the Scotts Pro model instead. But I've also heard that wheels fall off on them...
Well, you're 4 inches taller than me, so if I'm not comfortable with the height of the Earthway 2030, you won't be, either...it'll be a little worse for you. Looks like most of their models use that same handle, too. It's too short for me to push comfortably without bending a little. My neighbor is 6'1, and uses the Scotts Pro with no issue, as do I. I find it very comfortable and precise, including the release mechanism.

If you buy the Scotts Pro, realize that it's not going to last a long time, even if you use it gently. And if you don't use it gently, it might last an hour. It helps to only spread fine particles with it. That definitely prolongs the life. I made a mistake by putting Solu-cal in it, which is a little rough. That's when it broke. But I had had it a couple of years.

I think I'm going to buy a good spreader someday...one that will last a long time...something like a Lesco or Scotts AccuPro 2000 (now branded and sold by The Andersons). They're pro spreaders and cost $250-700 depending on the model, but they should last a lifetime (with repairs every so often) for a non-pro.

mitten

Post by mitten » December 4th, 2017, 9:03 am

Yeah that all makes sense. I guess I will have to try out the Earthway in person if I can find a local retailer.

And BTW, the Scotts Pro is on Amazon for $61 as of this morning. That's the lowest I have seen it. I'm halfway tempted but since it's about to snow I'll wait.

rtomek
Grass Type: Elite KBG Sod (unknown cultivars)
Lawn Size: 1000-3000

Post by rtomek » December 4th, 2017, 2:57 pm

What did mine in was gypsum, though it doesn't really like Milorganite either since I have to use so many more lbs/sqft than the scotts brand stuff. I don't know why they bother making the hopper as large as it is, since it doesn't work right and starts damaging parts if it's more than about 2/3 full. I still am using it after getting my replacement parts because it works well enough if I don't top it off, but instead wait until the hopper is empty before refilling it again. If my yard (7500 sqft) was much larger, I would have thrown it out long ago.

Green

Post by Green » December 18th, 2017, 5:55 pm

Got my replacement parts along with installation instructions today. I'm hoping I asked them for all the correct parts I need.

Green

Post by Green » December 20th, 2017, 10:56 pm

In case anyone is curious, during my searches, I found out that Scotts recently has come out with a new spreader called the Elite. It's slightly above the Pro in terms of price and who it's geared toward. It'll be interesting to see if it's any more durable as the longer term reviews start coming out. Hopefully they learned that making a cheap plastic product with parts that wear down quickly isn't good for their reputation. We will see...

desirous
Grass Type: Northern Mix
Lawn Size: Not Specified
Level: Not Specified

Post by desirous » December 20th, 2017, 11:36 pm

Green, thanks for mentioning this. In the pictures, the Elite looks just as plastic as the Pro. Main difference seem to be the dual rotor.

mitten

Post by mitten » January 31st, 2018, 9:12 am

mitten wrote:
December 4th, 2017, 9:03 am

And BTW, the Scotts Pro is on Amazon for $61 as of this morning. That's the lowest I have seen it. I'm halfway tempted but since it's about to snow I'll wait.
The Scotts Pro is now $46.99 on Amazon with free shipping. I'm tempted. I was going to hold out for an Earthway but you all convinced me that it was too short, since I'm 6'1".