What did you get for Christmas?

The place for discussions about mowers, stripers, edgers, weeders, etc.
LouisvilleGrubber
Grass Type: TTTF
Lawn Size: Not Specified
Level: Not Specified

What did you get for Christmas?

Post by LouisvilleGrubber » January 2nd, 2018, 10:20 am

Happy New Year! Since a good part of the country is frozen solid I thought we could share some of the yard goodies we got for Christmas. Or do your loved ones refuse to feed the obsession? :rotfl:

I got the Ego blower I've been eyeing along with a patio heater that I broke in New Year's Eve with some sub 10 degree grilling on the Big Green Egg. The heater helped, but I think I was operating outside it's intended limits. Know what I mean?

killerv
Grass Type: Centipede/SA

Re: What did you get for Christmas?

Post by killerv » January 4th, 2018, 1:43 pm

Been grilling on a BGE since the mid '90s. I remember when a large was only a few hundred bucks.

My wife got me one of those worx dolly/wheelbarrow things, It's pretty cool and seems well made. She also got me on of their leaf shredders.

I bought myself a Ruger SP101 and S&W Shield 9mm.

LouisvilleGrubber

Post by LouisvilleGrubber » January 5th, 2018, 10:18 am

killerv wrote:
January 4th, 2018, 1:43 pm
Been grilling on a BGE since the mid '90s. I remember when a large was only a few hundred bucks.

I'm on my second egg. I have a L and an XL. I just built an outdoor kitchen to house the eggs, a gas grill, a sink, and a side burner. Another reason to keep the yard looking great - I'm out there a lot! I'm guessing we may have a lot of egg heads around here for that reason.

killerv
Grass Type: Centipede/SA

Post by killerv » January 5th, 2018, 3:45 pm

I wish I had an XL, they just didn't make them when I got my large. A large is barely big enough for cooking for a family of four, can barely put a whole bag of wings on it and certainly don't have the space to move them around if there is a hot spot.

Irma fell a tree on my parents bge on their porch. Somehow the top was unscathed but the bottom was destroyed. Go figure.

HoosierLawnGnome
Grass Type: Blueberry KBG
Lawn Size: 1 acre-2 acre
Level: Advanced

Post by HoosierLawnGnome » January 8th, 2018, 3:36 pm

I got $$$. :) Not enough for a new triplex though.... :D :D

Marinegrunt
Grass Type: TTTF + 10% KBG
Lawn Size: 10000-20000
Level: Some Experience

Post by Marinegrunt » January 19th, 2018, 11:54 pm

I'd love to get an egg. I just use our charcoal grill to smoke on. It's one of those round ones that has a smaller one on the side for the charcoal and chips. I usually just make small piles charcoal and chips on each side of the main grill tho. It works okay but I always hear nothing touches an Egg.

I got the Chapin 20v for Christmas. Before I even opened the box I ordered the adapters so it works with Tee Jet. I ended up opening it before my adapters arrived. I took a Tee Jet that I use with my pump sprayer and the tee jet fit the Chapin wand right out of the box. I remember reading in a post on here that someone mentioned to Chapin customer service that they would probably sell more if tee jet nozzles would fit their stuff. They must've listened.

I also got a Dewalt 20v weed eater. I already have some 20v batteries for my other Dewalt tools so I requested it. I'm anxious to try it this spring.

LouisvilleGrubber

Post by LouisvilleGrubber » January 23rd, 2018, 5:33 pm

Marinegrunt wrote:
January 19th, 2018, 11:54 pm
I'd love to get an egg. I just use our charcoal grill to smoke on. It's one of those round ones that has a smaller one on the side for the charcoal and chips. I usually just make small piles charcoal and chips on each side of the main grill tho. It works okay but I always hear nothing touches an Egg.
Actually for smoking your set up sounds just fine. The competition guys usually use an off-set smoker like yours, although a few use eggs. The real advantage to the egg is that it can be used to cook everything from BBQ slow and low to to pizzas in three minutes at 700 degrees.

You won't regret getting one as long as you like to be outside and tinker (they always need some sort of adjusting or gasket replacement).

And also I have a better answer to this:

"Honey, what have you been doing out in the yard all day?"

"Cooking you dinner. What, did you think I was mowing again?"

mitten
Grass Type: Midnight, Diva, Everglade KBG, plus Fiesta4 PR and Zodiac Fescue
Lawn Size: 3000-5000
Level: Some Experience

Post by mitten » January 31st, 2018, 9:02 am

I got a Carhartt jacket from my wife so I can work more effectively on the yard in cold weather... ha.