Great Price: Ego Power Head + Edger

The place for discussions about mowers, stripers, edgers, weeders, etc.
LouisvilleGrubber
Grass Type: TTTF
Lawn Size: Not Specified
Level: Not Specified

Great Price: Ego Power Head + Edger

Post by LouisvilleGrubber » February 28th, 2018, 9:57 am

I've had my eye on the Ego power head + edger for a while. I have a corded edger that I quit pulling out just because of the cord wrangling required on a yard my size ( I really need two cords). I love the look an edger gives...a step above what i can achieve with a string trimmer, but at the end of the day I was always pushing the chore off to "next week". So after realizing how much I loved my Ego blower and hedge trimmer (and how powerful they are) I set my sites on the edger. The attachment has always been $99 at Home Depot and the powerhead I believe was a bit more than that or it was bundled with the string trimmer attachment for $400 :shock: . Amazon was even more expensive in most cases.

I don't know if I've been overlooking it, but on Sunday I found the PH+edger for $129 (https://www.homedepot.com/p/EGO-56-Volt ... /303420104). I pulled the trigger immediately and I am looking forward to issuing a full report.

Edit: I should add that this does not include a battery or charger which I already have.

mitten
Grass Type: Midnight, Diva, Everglade KBG, plus Fiesta4 PR and Zodiac Fescue
Lawn Size: 3000-5000
Level: Some Experience

Re: Great Price: Ego Power Head + Edger

Post by mitten » June 20th, 2018, 9:17 am

So how was it?

LouisvilleGrubber
Grass Type: TTTF

Post by LouisvilleGrubber » June 25th, 2018, 9:43 am

Well, the edger is great. So powerful it will pull you down street. What I have learned is that my current situation is better suited to the string trimmer. We don't have sidewalks in my hood and I have an older asphalt driveway so putting an edge on it isn't the best look (crooked). I'm going to hang on to it for the day I replace the driveway, but for now I'm back to using the string trimmer.

Hank77
Grass Type: Bermuda

Post by Hank77 » August 28th, 2018, 12:21 pm

I picked up a kit during a HD one day sale. Power head + trimmer + edger + 5.0 Ah battery + charger for $280. I'm coming from a 20 V worx trimmer/edger. There is a lot more metal and quality in the Ego equipment, but not surprising considering the price. The power head has two speeds, I only use the lower speed for edging. I happened to find a used trimmer only kit with a 2.5 Ah battery on CL for only $50! I really only wanted the battery out of the kit but ended up using the trimmer and then edging with the power head + edger.

The amount of power was really surprising. We have a 1/4 acre with a bunch of landscaping and even the 2.5 Ah almost made it through all the trimming and edging (had not edged with a blade edger since the house was built 4 1/2 years ago). I swapped the 2.5 Ah batter between the trimmer only and the power head + edger.

I'm looking forward to picking up the pole trimmer, hedge trimmer (not the attachment), and one of the blowers in the future.