Push broadcast spreader recommendations (Lesco, Spyker, Earthway, Shindawia, others?)

The place for discussions about mowers, stripers, edgers, weeders, etc.

What would you recommend?

Lesco 101186 (80lb,stainless steel, high wheel) + BreakThru Agitator mod
33%
Spyker SPY80-1S Ergo Pro
13%
Earthway F80PSD Flex Select
13%
Shindaiwa RS76S
7%
Other
33%

Total votes: 15

ctrav
Grass Type: Bermuda tiff 419
Lawn Size: Not Specified
Level: Not Specified

Re: Push broadcast spreader recommendations (Lesco, Spyker, Earthway, Shindawia, others?)

Post by ctrav » August 22nd, 2018, 10:17 am

I currently have a Scotts mini. It doesn't hold much, sits to low to the ground so it hurts my back since Im 6'. Don't get me wrong it worked at my old home since it was a small yard but not at the new property. Plus the Lesco is just plain bad a** looking IMHO...

andy10917
Grass Type: Emblem KBG (Front); Blueberry KBG Monostand (Back)
Lawn Size: 1 acre-2 acre
Level: Advanced

Re: Push broadcast spreader recommendations (Lesco, Spyker, Earthway, Shindawia, others?)

Post by andy10917 » August 22nd, 2018, 10:20 am

Don't hide it, Morph! I too have the Scott's Edgeguard Pro (air-filled tires), and while my experiences are different, I stay with it for a different reason.

My front lawn is pretty heavily sloped, and after doing my acre and cutting across the slope for around a year, it has a tendency to torque/twist the gearbox when full on the slope and the gearbox breaks. I just go to Customer Service at HD, and I'm out of there with a new one in minutes. This process has repeated twice already. I always have a relatively new EdgeGuard Pro.

I guess that's an indictment and a solution.

Oldschool
Grass Type: Kentucky Bluegrass
Lawn Size: 1000-3000
Level: Some Experience

Post by Oldschool » August 22nd, 2018, 10:57 am

I use the Earthway 2150. Nothing to compare it to but it works nice for me.

HSB3-LI
Grass Type: Blueberry, Midnight, Prosperity Kentucky Bluegrass
Lawn Size: 5000-10000
Level: Experienced

Post by HSB3-LI » August 22nd, 2018, 9:08 pm

I like to use my edgeguard mini and hit the perimeter, then use my lesco hi wheel and get the rest. No problem using either with urea.

schreibdave
Grass Type: Bewitched, Award and Rhapsody
Lawn Size: 10000-20000
Level: Experienced

Post by schreibdave » August 23rd, 2018, 6:12 am

I have the Lesco 50 lb spreader. I made myself a deflector out of a piece of card board and 2 spring clamps. This way I can move it to the left or right side and keep the fert off the road/sidewalk. Huge upgrade over my little scotts spreader. Does take up a lot of room though and not easy to hang from the wall in the garage.

andy10917
Grass Type: Emblem KBG (Front); Blueberry KBG Monostand (Back)
Lawn Size: 1 acre-2 acre
Level: Advanced

Post by andy10917 » September 17th, 2018, 7:55 am

Another failure of the gearbox on the Scott's Edgeguard Pro (that makes 4 failures total) when using the spreader full on a slope. Wrote an email to Scott's, and got a commitment to send me a refund ASAP. If they want to keep giving me new spreaders forever after a single purchase, so be it.