Spray rig for 1.5 acres

The place for discussions about mowers, stripers, edgers, weeders, etc.
mooch91
Grass Type: KBG, PR, TTTF
Lawn Size: 1 acre-2 acre
Level: Experienced

Spray rig for 1.5 acres

Post by mooch91 » June 9th, 2018, 3:45 pm

All

I’m hoping soon to purchase a spray setup for my 1.5 acre property (this idea from a thread in the cool-season forum). Im trying to understand options for a spray rig. Are most of you using tow-behind units? I have a ZTR that I would imagine would handle a small trailer OK. In terms of volume, what would be good? I would think 25 gal would need make up twice over the course of the yard. To get away with a single make up id need 50-60 gal which I would think is a bit big. Is anyone using a hose setup and manual walking to spray, or are most of you towing and spraying with a boom?

Finally, any specific brand/style recommendations?

Thanks!

HoosierLawnGnome
Grass Type: Blueberry KBG
Level: Advanced

Re: Spray rig for 1.5 acres

Post by HoosierLawnGnome » June 9th, 2018, 6:28 pm

I have 1.4 acres. I use a 25 gallon tow behind and pulled it last year with my zero turn. I pull it with a lawn tractor now. 2 full tanks cover it nicely. For applications that require more volume larger is better.

Check how much your ZT can pull as it is often less than a garden tractor. My ZT had a valve seal start leaking after a season and a half of use. Thankfully under warranty. I was pulling close to the max weight.

Water is 8 lbs per gallon, get the biggest you can pull. Consider the boom extensions too for wider coverage.

If I could I would get a sprayer that mounts to the chassis of your ZT in front, maybe in back. It will be better on the machine and give more accurate coverage. Plus, they normally have a spray wand attached which is really helpful. Its super convenient if its mounted right in front of you to grab and hit the nooks and crannies.

andy10917
Grass Type: Emblem KBG (Front); Blueberry KBG Monostand (Back)

Post by andy10917 » June 9th, 2018, 9:46 pm

I have a bit over an acre, and use a 15-gallon unit behind my tractor -- for the Back Yard only. And the tow-behind has been out of commission for 2+ years. I can't use it in the Front Yard (too steep) and I disgustedly gave up when a new pump failed after two whole applications. I figured I must be clueless about pumps and only recently found out that ALMOST ALL of that pump model sold by Tractor Supply failed. Just rebuilt the whole thing (yes, new pump) and then figured out that I lost the wireless remote over the two years - Arggggh!

In the meantime I I have been using the Earthway S15, but a 6 '6" guy is a cripple after a couple of hours bent over that.

HoosierLawnGnome
Grass Type: Blueberry KBG

Post by HoosierLawnGnome » June 11th, 2018, 8:56 am

I got my setup from Rural King, which looks to be the same level of quality as the TSC models. (Countyline vs Country Way? compete much?)

I agree the pump is the most important part of the sprayer. The container can be darned near anything, and it's super easy to fashion a boom and do whatever you want with extra hose.

FWIW, the pump on mine is an Everflo. No issues with the pump itself, yet. What I did find lacking was the plumbing design. They gave me a brass pressure meter that screws into the plastic female connector on the manifold. You can guess what happened. I overtightened and it cracked the female connector. That caused the system to eventually fail and I had to replace the whole manifold. Plumbing codes in Indiana prohibit brass into plastic for such reasons, but obviously that doesn't apply to sprayers hahaha.

mooch91
Grass Type: KBG, PR, TTTF

Post by mooch91 » June 11th, 2018, 10:04 am

Thanks all.

I'm still trying to understand spraying a little better, maybe I just need to visit my local Tractor Supply to see what type of equipment they have...

I'm imagining two options:

The "Trugreen option" where the tank stays fixed, or is semi-portable, and most of the spraying is done by walking with a very long hose. Much like I would do with a backpack sprayer, only there is a much greater volume of mix, and a pump so no hand pumping is required. Not sure how practical this is, as I imagine there would be a lot of hose to clean in addition to the tank itself. It feels like it would be more accurate, even though there would be a little walking involved.

The "farmer option" where the tank is attached to my mower, or towed behind, and the spraying is done while riding around the yard with a boom behind me. Seems like this would be more convenient, easier to clean, but not great for a ZTR with limited tow capacity.

Is this accurate, or am I missing other ways to do it?

andy10917
Grass Type: Emblem KBG (Front); Blueberry KBG Monostand (Back)

Post by andy10917 » June 11th, 2018, 10:11 am

The second option actually often has a hose to accomplish a limited version of the first option.

To avoid ZTR towing limitations, downscale the size of the tank.

x Wild Bill x
Grass Type: Northern Mix
Lawn Size: Not Specified
Level: Not Specified

Post by x Wild Bill x » June 11th, 2018, 12:30 pm

While my yard is not quite as big as these guys, I still went for a 30 gallon tow behind spreader from Northern Tool. Their sprayers have good reviews and it seems well designed to me. I just started using it this year but it works well and tackles many different sprays. I suggest you check them out, seems like their pumps last, but only time will tell.

craigdt
Grass Type: Tall fescue
Lawn Size: 5000-10000
Level: Some Experience

Post by craigdt » August 5th, 2018, 4:41 pm

21 gallon NorthStar tow behind sprayer on my ZTR for half an acre.

I intend to install better TeeJet nozzles for more even, customizable coverage.
https://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools ... _200646314

This is me
Grass Type: Front-SS Sunny Mix. Back-SS KGB Mix
Lawn Size: 20000-1 acre
Level: Novice

Post by This is me » August 6th, 2018, 12:11 pm

A rear mounted sprayer like this is much easier to maneuver than a tow behind.
https://www.superior-tech.com/15-gal-ez ... rayer.html

I have the 25gallon tractor version and it's spectacular for general spray.

rydaddy
Grass Type: KBG
Lawn Size: 20000-1 acre

Post by rydaddy » August 7th, 2018, 1:46 pm

I like that idea. My 25 gallon tow-behind FIMCO is about to get it's Third pump. I got it in 2013, this is my 5th summer with it. Tired of replacing pumps. Looks like this unit at least uses a different pump...

Anyone here actually own one of these?