Troy-Bilt TB360 grass blade lift

The place for discussions about mowers, stripers, edgers, weeders, etc.
LawnEnvy
Grass Type: Fescue (Falcon IV, Shenandoah II, Finelawn Elite)
Lawn Size: Not Specified
Level: Not Specified

Troy-Bilt TB360 grass blade lift

Post by LawnEnvy » August 11th, 2018, 9:38 pm

I purchased a Troy-Bilt TB360 21" lawnmower in 2014 due to my Toro 2 cycle broke down at the time and I was having trouble sourcing the part. I went with the TB360 over Toro brand due to Consumer Reports stating it was a top pick that year for mulching/bagging with the 190cc engine.

Having said that, I have noticed that my TTTF is flopped over as I have been cutting at top height 3.75" all summer. The past few weeks have been rainy so I have been bagging the lawn but notice that whether I am bagging or mulching the grass flops over in some places. This evening, I took the backpack blower and blew down into the grass blades to force them up, then mowed one notch lower (3.25") and double cut the yard. I always change my direction at each mow, mow every 5-8 days, have have blade professionally sharpened every 15 cuts.

Is mowing TTTF at 3.75" to high to give the grass enough lift before cutting while mulching? Could I get more lift and better cut if I always bag the clippings?

Would a commercial mower or a deck without a chute discharge create enough suction to stand grass up before cut?

LawnEnvy
Grass Type: Fescue (Falcon IV, Shenandoah II, Finelawn Elite)
Lawn Size: Not Specified
Level: Not Specified

Re: Troy-Bilt TB360 grass blade lift

Post by LawnEnvy » August 11th, 2018, 11:59 pm

I was looking at the owners manual and the mulching / standard blade is called a multi-purpose blade. It has a slight tail that looks like it would create some lift. I'll search and see if they make a 21" high lift blade that has star pattern to fit the blade adapter. There is no reference of a high lift blade in the owners manual. Just a multi-purpose blade that has curves for mulching and a blade called xtreme mulching that looks like a gator blade.