What's the difference between a cheap lawn tractor and a pricey one?

The place for discussions about mowers, stripers, edgers, weeders, etc.
southern-ct-4
Grass Type: PR/FF/KBG
Lawn Size: 10000-20000
Level: Some Experience

What's the difference between a cheap lawn tractor and a pricey one?

Post by southern-ct-4 » October 4th, 2018, 8:36 am

I'm sure this has been asked numerous times but I had a hard time finding a simple/straightforward answer, so I'll ask it anyway; why are some lawn tractors so much more expensive than others?

Why are some upwards of $3,500, yet others are $1,500 or less (even the John Deere you can find at HD, which are know are not the same as regular John Deere mowers)? Do they simply last longer, or are they that much better?'

For the most part, assuming I'm just using it to cut my grass (and not needing it to haul heavy items/whatever), what does a $3,500 mower get me that a $1,500 mower doesn't?

The pricier ones seem to have 25+ HP while the cheaper ones are under 20 HP, but does that really matter for just cutting grass? Or maybe it does, and it mulches the grass a lot better?

Thanks.

ENVY23
Grass Type: KBG: Midnight, Bluebank, Mazama

Re: What's the difference between a cheap lawn tractor and a pricey one?

Post by ENVY23 » October 4th, 2018, 1:10 pm

Usually it's 3 main things; deck, engine, and drive system. There are probably some other smaller differences, but those are the main 3.

Decks:
Cheaper mowers usually have decks that are stamped of thin steel, whereas the more expensive mowers usually have fabricated(welded) decks made of thicker steel. The decks are also usually deeper on the more expensive mowers, which provides more room for clippings which helps with mulching and, according to some manufacturers, allows you to mow faster.

Engine:
The more expensive mowers usually come with better engines. Both the cheaper and more expensive mowers could have 24HP Kohler engines, but if you look closer at the model numbers of each engine, you'll see that their not the same 24HP Kohler. The more expensive mowers are usually outfitted with commercial grade engines, which have a higher longevity and better serviceability than the homeowner grade equivalents found in the cheaper mowers.

Drive System
Same as with the engine, the drive system is more commercial oriented on the more expensive mowers as opposed to the cheaper counterparts, which again provides a higher longevity and better serviceability.

With that said, I'm not trying to bash the cheaper mowers, just explaining the differences I've seen. I would go look at the different models you're interested in so you can compare the deck quality, then get the model numbers of the engine and drive system each mower is equipped with and do some Googling to compare them. Then you can decide if the differences are worth the extra money, or if the cheaper mower will meet your needs just fine and save you some $$.

southern-ct-4

Post by southern-ct-4 » October 4th, 2018, 1:29 pm

Great, thanks for the detailed info!

andy10917
Grass Type: Emblem KBG (Front); Blueberry KBG Monostand (Back)
Lawn Size: 1 acre-2 acre
Level: Advanced

Post by andy10917 » October 4th, 2018, 1:48 pm

I don't disagree with any of the above, but thought I'd like to emphasize a few things:

(1) if purchasing a less-expensive tractor, make sure it is a mulching mower. The contraptions to do that after-market (plugs, etc) are nowhere near as good as one with the deck and blades that are designed to mulch.

(2) I don't care for the hydrostatic/automatic transmissions - I had one blow the transmission during reno prep on the slope while towing materials on the slope. Fixing a blown transmission is as expensive as replacing the cheaper tractors.

(3) Consider things like the highest and lowest HOC you'll do - lots of inexpensive tractors won't permit a cut as high as 4".

southern-ct-4

Post by southern-ct-4 » October 4th, 2018, 1:52 pm

Ok great, thank you again.

rydaddy
Grass Type: KBG
Lawn Size: 20000-1 acre
Level: Experienced

Post by rydaddy » October 4th, 2018, 7:45 pm

Agree with much of the above. Somewhat short version -- I am happier with the more expensive mower. When the day is done a brand new $1500 mower will cut your grass, and A $5000 mower will cut your grass. The latter leaves a better cut, drives and rides nicer, and can sometimes be more serviceable also.

I believe it is a very personal/person specific decision. For which budget will often dictate.

flyin-lowe
Grass Type: TTTF
Lawn Size: 2 acre-5 acre

Post by flyin-lowe » October 11th, 2018, 6:49 pm

A couple years ago I bought a house with a 5 acre yard. I had Dixon ZTR mower when I moved there. After the first year I needed to upgrade and ended up buying a Ferris ZTR mower. After owning it for a year I was back at Lowes one day and looked at the mowers they had. It was instantly obvious that almost every part on my high priced was better built then the lower end stuff the big box stores sell. Sheet metal, deck, suspension, everything is beefier. I am guessing if you go crawl around a nice high end tractor and then go look closely at the cheaper ones you will see a similar difference.

southern-ct-4

Post by southern-ct-4 » October 11th, 2018, 6:50 pm

Thanks. I'm currently trying to find a good deal on a used John Deere (a real JD, not a Home Depot JD).

KBGkicksazz

Post by KBGkicksazz » October 14th, 2018, 10:47 am

There’s a ton of differences.

Grease zerks, bigger steering spindles, depending on model can be power steering, 4 wheel steering, 4 wheel drive, electric pto, beefier bearings, sleeved bores in the engine. Go up a hill on a cheapy versus the JD iTorque motor and you’ll feel the difference. Mine is a twin cylinder and it never feels weak.

I have the JD X300 and I also have the snowblower and I’ve had nothing but praise for it. Change the oil, fuel filter, and air filter every year and thing will last 20 years easily. With JDs easy maintenance I can do it in under 30 minutes.

My old craftsman tractor was not even close to this machine.
southern-ct-4 wrote:
October 11th, 2018, 6:50 pm
Thanks. I'm currently trying to find a good deal on a used John Deere (a real JD, not a Home Depot JD).

southern-ct-4

Post by southern-ct-4 » October 17th, 2018, 9:29 am

Do you guys have any thoughts/suggestions on a John Deere GT 2xx series (GT 225 for example) vs. a 325?

Thanks.

This is me
Grass Type: Front-SS Sunny Mix. Back-SS KGB Mix
Level: Novice

Post by This is me » October 17th, 2018, 9:57 am

I would rather pay for a used X series than a new D series at the big box store. I also would use a good walk behind like a Honda HRX(Used to have one) than a cheap ride on that rips the grass blade or leaves strips of uneven mow. You're doing too much work and put into too much time and money to ruin the grass when you're cutting.

southern-ct-4

Post by southern-ct-4 » October 17th, 2018, 1:25 pm

Ideally I'd still like to find a good deal on a used JD, but I just came across this one for $625. Any thoughts?

Husqvarna GTH2254xp
54" mowing deck
22 hp Kawasaki engine
Hydrostatic transmission

I'm not sure on the hours yet. Looks in good shape from the pics (of course that could change if I go see it).

Even though this is vastly more powerful than my current one, will this pale in comparison to a JD? I believe this was over $2k new, so while it's of course not a JD, I think it's of good quality/build.

Thanks for any thoughts.

KBGkicksazz

Post by KBGkicksazz » October 19th, 2018, 4:24 am

If it’s a Kawasaki motor that’s a big plus. If it’s benn maintained with oil changes it’s VERY reliable and JD uses the same motor.

How old is the tractor?
Does it have an hour meter?

Belt systems are the things most prone to issues as they age so if you do buy it that’s good insurance to replace the drive/deck belt.

Look for rust on the deck. If nothing is rusted then replacing any parts is easy.

rucraz2
Grass Type: NoMix
Lawn Size: 1 acre-2 acre

Post by rucraz2 » October 22nd, 2018, 11:45 pm

I would definitely say go for a higher end used one. I was in your boat a yr ago. Did all the research etc. When push comes to shove you are better off. A lot of the cheaper ones you can't work on trannies. So do your research. I ended up buying a used JD x540 with almost 1k hours with a bagger and blower and a blade. I haven't looked back. On a side note the big box stores sell the same tractors as the dealers. They are just the bottom of the barrel mowers. (D series) Lighter two and 3 piece frames, non servicable trannies and cheaper decks. A lot of the cheaper mowers are going to have a harder time pulling much of anything. Just research as much as you can.

southern-ct-4

Post by southern-ct-4 » October 23rd, 2018, 8:13 am

Thanks so much. I'm continuing to search for a mid to higher end JD (not a big box version).

southern-ct-4

Post by southern-ct-4 » October 25th, 2018, 3:38 pm

I'm looking at an x300 for sale, 4 years old, under 150 hours, original owner and comes with a power bagging system. original cost $4k I believe. what do you guys think it's worth assuming it's as good as it looks in pics?

separately, i don't want to use the power bagging system, as i want to mulch my clippings and leaves. there seems to be 2 options; a $39 mulch cover or a $160 convertible mower deck. i don't necessary mind the extra cost, but is it going to be as good as an actual mulching deck?

in the pic below, you can see a listing that comes with a mulching deck vs. the deck that comes on the one i'm looking at.

thanks for any thoughts.

rydaddy
Level: Experienced

Post by rydaddy » October 25th, 2018, 6:07 pm

This is not a realistic request, but I would like to see the underside of each. That might be more telling. There is info on their website, but it's hard to tell 100% which deck each of those are.

KBGkicksazz

Post by KBGkicksazz » October 26th, 2018, 7:32 am

Here is a picture from above of my X300. I normally clean it after each use but rain resulted in having to hurry up and get it back in the garage.

The cut is good as long as I have a sharp blade and I mulch. It’s been a number of years since I bought it but the deck has pieces underneath for mulching. every spring I sharpen my blades as the deck comes off in winter for snow blower duties.

I’d get a bottom picture for you but not physically able to at the moment.

KBGkicksazz

Post by KBGkicksazz » October 26th, 2018, 7:35 am

Here are proper pictures. Under the side chute is a plug since it’s set up for mulch.

southern-ct-4

Post by southern-ct-4 » October 26th, 2018, 8:27 am

Thank you. I've determined that the mower in question unfortunately does not have a mulching setup nor is it able to be converted (at least not remotely easily) into a mulching deck. it's truly made to be used with the power flow bagging system. Too bad as it was otherwise a great mower but I need something 'ready to go' for mulching. Granted, it still may have mulched better than my existing mower just because it's otherwise that much better, but for the price it really needed to be perfect for me.