Help with Edging

The place for discussions about mowers, stripers, edgers, weeders, etc.
greenrebellion
Grass Type: Bewitched KBG
Lawn Size: 10000-20000
Level: Experienced

Help with Edging

Post by greenrebellion » October 15th, 2018, 1:30 pm

So I have an EGO battery powered blower and a trimmer. Love them both. Was looking to buy the EGO edger as well since I could leverage the batteries I already own but I'm thinking gas might be the better buy here in terms of edging quality along the driveways and sidewalks.

Any recs on best edger? No real budget limitations.

But before I commit to any equipment purchases, I wanted to see if people have ideas on how they manage landscape beds. I have TONS of mulched meandering beds and grass is always spreading in to these areas. How do people manage this? Roundup once per year? Or is there a tool that assists with this?

ENVY23
Grass Type: KBG: Midnight, Bluebank, Mazama
Level: Some Experience

Re: Help with Edging

Post by ENVY23 » October 15th, 2018, 3:27 pm

I have the Stihl Kombi system and there are two different edging attachments. One for grass borders the beds(bed redefiner) and one for where grass borders concrete(edger).

smontgo150
Grass Type: KBG / Fescue
Lawn Size: 20000-1 acre

Post by smontgo150 » October 23rd, 2018, 11:44 am

I have a dedicated Stihl stick edger and it is great. I used to have to edge around 500 feet a week at my last house and had no problems with it.

HoosierLawnGnome
Grass Type: Blueberry KBG
Lawn Size: 1 acre-2 acre
Level: Advanced

Post by HoosierLawnGnome » October 23rd, 2018, 1:33 pm

I definitely think more power is better. That first edging after a winter is rough, as well as when the ground is dried out or when you miss a week or two. And I don't like switching heads on my combination system, but it works well.

So, in my perfect world I'd probably have a dedicated Stihl edger.

mitten
Grass Type: Midnight, Diva, Everglade KBG, plus Fiesta4 PR and Zodiac Fescue
Lawn Size: 3000-5000

Post by mitten » May 8th, 2019, 11:12 am

greenrebellion wrote:
October 15th, 2018, 1:30 pm
But before I commit to any equipment purchases, I wanted to see if people have ideas on how they manage landscape beds. I have TONS of mulched meandering beds and grass is always spreading in to these areas. How do people manage this? Roundup once per year? Or is there a tool that assists with this?
Curious to hear what edger you bought. I am considering the Ego edger to replace my gas McLane walk behind because it has great reviews, however I'm standardized on Dewalt 40v batteries right now (blower, weed wacker) so that's unfortunate... I do really like battery over 2 stroke though. I would never go back to a gas weed wacker or blower.

I would LOVE a bed refiner however they are REALLY expensive.

In my mulched areas I usually round up every so often... but since there are very questionable health concerns around glysophate I'm considering switching to using a pre-emergent instead. Either Preen or something else.

Iowa Jim
Grass Type: kentucky bluegrass

Post by Iowa Jim » May 8th, 2019, 11:26 am

smontgo150 wrote:
October 23rd, 2018, 11:44 am
I have a dedicated Stihl stick edger and it is great. I used to have to edge around 500 feet a week at my last house and had no problems with it.
What model do you have? I am going to buy one, just not sure of which model yet.