Cleaning spreader?

The place for discussions about mowers, stripers, edgers, weeders, etc.
ENVY23
Grass Type: KBG: Midnight, Bluebank, Mazama
Lawn Size: 10000-20000
Level: Some Experience

Cleaning spreader?

Post by ENVY23 » October 15th, 2018, 5:45 pm

Anyone have any tips for cleaning your fertilizer spreader? I’ve avoided it so far, afraid water + fertilizer dust would cause premature rust and corrosion, but it’s beginning to get on my nerves being so dirty. I was thinking of lightly spraying it down with water, then using WD-40 to displace the water in all the moving parts, and finally, coating the whole thing down with Fluid Film. I’ve read good stuff about Fluid Film preventing rust, but I’m not sure if it gets tacky, ultimately attracting even more dust. Thoughts or suggestions?

TimmyG
Grass Type: Northern Mix
Lawn Size: 20000-1 acre
Level: Experienced

Re: Cleaning spreader?

Post by TimmyG » October 15th, 2018, 8:23 pm

I guess it depends on your spreader. I've been cleaning my Earthway 2170 with a strong jet of water for years now, setting aside to dry in the sun, and have yet to experience any problems with rust or corrosion.

ENVY23

Post by ENVY23 » October 15th, 2018, 8:45 pm

Thanks! Good to know since I have the 2170 also. I was afraid rust and corrosion might seize up the gearbox and the linkage to open/close the hopper.

agn015
Grass Type: Hogan Blend - GTO/Hemi/Hot Rod TTTF Everest/Award/Everglade/Midnight KBG

Post by agn015 » October 15th, 2018, 9:46 pm

I bought a used Earthway C22 and was wondering how others are keeping their spreaders clean too. I’ve only used mine twice but so far I have been rinsing with the hose and spraying the metal parts with fluid film after it dries. I too read it that it’s an excellent rust preventer.

The fluid film is expensive and seems to attract fertilizer dust during the next use just like you were thinking. Other than that the spreader had some minor corrosion/rust and the linkage felt pretty stiff when I bought it. After one spray of fluid film the rust pretty much dissapeared and the linkage is operating extremely smoothly now.

My plan going forward is to only use fluid film at the end of the season as a preventative. I’m not sure if your 2170 has a greasable gearbox but I am trying to grease my C22 after every few uses. It’s definitely overkill but I’m using Red Line CV-2 synthetic grease for the gearbox since it’s what I have already loaded in the grease gun.

TimmyG
Grass Type: Northern Mix

Post by TimmyG » October 15th, 2018, 11:35 pm

The manual for the Earthway 2170 says, "Thoroughly wash spreader and allow to dry before storing. A coating of light oil will help prevent corrosion." It does not say anything further about maintenance or greasing the gearbox.

ken-n-nancy
Grass Type: Front: KBG (Bewitched+Prosperity); Side: Bewitched KBG; Back: Fine Fescue Blend + Prosperity

Post by ken-n-nancy » October 16th, 2018, 7:52 am

TimmyG wrote:
October 15th, 2018, 8:23 pm
I guess it depends on your spreader. I've been cleaning my Earthway 2170 with a strong jet of water for years now, setting aside to dry in the sun, and have yet to experience any problems with rust or corrosion.
+1. I also have an Earthway 2170 and do what TimmyG suggests above.

This is me
Grass Type: Front-SS Sunny Mix. Back-SS KGB Mix
Level: Novice

Post by This is me » October 17th, 2018, 10:15 am

I have a Brinly tow-behind and I clean it religiously after every application even if I know I'll be using it again in a couple days.
After each session of using it, I spray it down with water and paid close attention to the spinning disk that shoot out the material and make sure there's nothing left on that disk. Spray in the inside of the hopper, the outside, and the wheel and make sure nothing gets caked. I let it dry outside before putting it away in my garage. So far, I have not noticed any rust after 3 years. When you want your tool to work every time when you go to use it, you have to clean it and store it properly.

ENVY23

Post by ENVY23 » October 17th, 2018, 11:32 am

Thanks for the tips everyone! I agree This is me, I'm also a stickler for keeping everything clean, but for some reason I had a fear of moisture + fertilizer causing premature rust and corrosion issues, and ruining my spreader. Particularly water seeping into the plastic gearbox cover, never fully drying out, and causing the gearbox to seize up. I do keep the disc scraped off to prevent material from caking on it and messing up the throw pattern. Glad to know I can clean it now with some peace of mind!