Lawn Equipment Advice Needed

The place for discussions about mowers, stripers, edgers, weeders, etc.
patrick20
Grass Type: I don't know
Lawn Size: 1 acre-2 acre
Level: Novice

Lawn Equipment Advice Needed

Post by patrick20 » March 25th, 2019, 6:12 pm

My first home was about an acre and a half lot that I mowed with a used Wizard riding tractor and a WeedEater brand weed eater.

It took approximately 4 hours to mow and weed eat my first home.

I sold my mower when I purchased my second home, because I was unable to mow the yard with my Wizard mower. My yard was one long hill, and the Wizard mower did not have a brake. So, I payed someone $35.00 per week to mow/weedeat my 1.2 acre yard for the two years we were there.

We recently purchased out third "hopefully long-term home", so I am looking to purchase a new mower. The new house needs A LOT of work, but we are already chipping away at it.

My new yard is about an acre, and all flat. So, I was originally thinking of purchasing a nice tractor style mower for around a "hopeful budget" of $1,000 dollars or less. I have compared new/used tractor style mowers, new/used zero turn mowers, time investment with both style mowers, and read a lot on this forum. I think I have decided to purchase a new Simplicity Courier 48" zero turn mower. After doing some research, I think this mower will best fit my needs (mow/stripe), will cut down my lawncare time in half or less, and monthly payments will be less than I was paying for someone to mow/weedeat my last house.

Options available at time of purchasing new Simplicity Courier 48" zero turn that I need to negotiate/decide on are:

- Mulching Blade Kit (After reading on here, I think this is a must).
- 724cc Briggs & Stratton Professional Series V-Twin with Ready Start or 726cc Kawasaki FR651 V-Twin engine. (After reading on here, I think Briggs & Stratton would be the better choice of engine.)

I did find a used Simplicity zero turn in my area for $1,000 OBO. But, I have never owned a zero turn, and have no idea what to look for when purchasing a used mower to make sure it is in good condition. Buying the used mower would be about a fourth of the price as purchasing the new mower, and fall within my original budget. But, I'm not comfortable purchasing a used zero turn with my very limited knowledge of what to look for upon inspection/purchase.

Does anyone have any suggestions/input on other models/options I should consider?

I will post some photos of my new yard in separate posts. I plan on having someone come in and dig up all of the current landscaping/bushes other than the large trees away from the house. Then, I am going to layout new driveways, parking areas, hardscapes, and install my 33 foot above ground swimming pool I have in my storage building. Like I said, it needs A LOT of work to look as nice as my first home, but I am trying to get some good equipment, and a good lawncare plan, to help me with that. On the upside, I can probably get as much free cow manure as I need from the neighbor to fertilize the yard.

patrick20

Re: Lawn Equipment Advice Needed

Post by patrick20 » March 25th, 2019, 10:24 pm

Here are some photos of my new/current yard.

patrick20

Post by patrick20 » March 26th, 2019, 6:00 pm

patrick20

Post by patrick20 » April 7th, 2019, 8:52 pm

This weekend I decided to purchase the used Simplicity mower since it fit my budget.

I was really happy with how it mowed. (I planned on using the weed eater today, but I has rained all day.)

Pway
Grass Type: Northern Mix
Lawn Size: 20000-1 acre
Level: Some Experience

Post by Pway » April 8th, 2019, 1:53 pm

My dad had a simpliciTy for years. Great cut and never had a problem with it. Good find!