Power Broom/Sweeper

The place for discussions about mowers, stripers, edgers, weeders, etc.
kbgfarmer
Grass Type: Bewitched Kentucky bluegrass
Lawn Size: 20000-1 acre
Level: Some Experience

Power Broom/Sweeper

Post by kbgfarmer » April 2nd, 2019, 9:16 pm

So I have a bunch of brush debris on my lawn from when the landscaper did some brush removal in my woods. I am thinking of renting a power broom/sweeper and was wondering if anyone had any experience using one to remove debris safely from a lawn? Raking is an option too but I've noticed the rake only works in areas that don't have seed matting on them. The rake tends to snag on the seed matting otherwise.

ENVY23
Grass Type: KBG: Midnight, Bluebank, Mazama
Lawn Size: 10000-20000

Re: Power Broom/Sweeper

Post by ENVY23 » April 2nd, 2019, 9:48 pm

I have the bristle brush for my Stihl Kombi, it’s pretty aggressive and I’m not sure I would use it on the lawn. It will pull weeds/grass from between my patio pavers, cracks in the driveway, etc and spit them out. I’d imagine it’d have the same effect on the lawn. Something similar to the Stihl Power Sweep might work better. I have no experience with the Power Sweep, but it seems the rubber flaps would do less damage than the bristles.

kbgfarmer

Post by kbgfarmer » April 2nd, 2019, 9:59 pm

The one I plan on renting has the rubber flaps as opposed to the bristles. On a side note I wish I would have purchased the kombi system instead of the separate string trimmer and edger I purchased from Stihl. Do you like the kombi?

ENVY23
Grass Type: KBG: Midnight, Bluebank, Mazama
Lawn Size: 10000-20000

Post by ENVY23 » April 2nd, 2019, 11:21 pm

If it has the rubber flaps I would go for it. I saw some guys on YouTube using one and it seemed fine on turf. I love my Kombi! I have the KM130R, but recently saw their new battery powered Kombi system. Super nice, but $$$ by the time you buy the powerhead, a decent sized battery and a charger.

kbgfarmer

Post by kbgfarmer » April 5th, 2019, 9:40 pm

Rented the power broom today with the rubber flaps and though you really get a good workout using it, it works flawlessly to remove debris from turf without damaging the turf. It took what would have taken hours and hours to do with a rake and made me able to do most of my front lawn in a fraction of that time. Lawn looks super clean now. Leaves, sticks, wood chips, and pebbles are all gone. I would have to say it was worth it.

kbgfarmer

Post by kbgfarmer » April 5th, 2019, 9:40 pm

Rented the power broom today with the rubber flaps and though you really get a good workout using it, it works flawlessly to remove debris from turf without damaging the turf. It took what would have taken hours and hours to do with a rake and made me able to do most of my front lawn in a fraction of that time. Lawn looks super clean now. Leaves, sticks, wood chips, and pebbles are all gone. I would have to say it was worth it.