Help with tow behind or backpack sprayer

The place for discussions about mowers, stripers, edgers, weeders, etc.
Pway
Grass Type: Northern Mix
Lawn Size: 20000-1 acre
Level: Some Experience

Help with tow behind or backpack sprayer

Post by Pway » April 6th, 2019, 4:20 pm

I have an Earthway S25 that I am very unhappy with. I have a bit more than an acre but about 30000 is lawn. I’m looking for a two behind for a John Deere D130 or a good dependable backpack sprayer for an area mentioned above. I’ll use it for Dimension, tenacity, fungicide. Cost is not particularly relevant since I’m so pissed off. Any help,is appreciated. I did read over the Chapman thread and some others but am looking for specific advise for needs stated above. Thanks.

Timbo3985
Level: Novice

Re: Help with tow behind or backpack sprayer

Post by Timbo3985 » April 6th, 2019, 7:48 pm

Pway wrote:
April 6th, 2019, 4:20 pm
I have an Earthway S25 that I am very unhappy with. I have a bit more than an acre but about 30000 is lawn. I’m looking for a two behind for a John Deere D130 or a good dependable backpack sprayer for an area mentioned above. I’ll use it for Dimension, tenacity, fungicide. Cost is not particularly relevant since I’m so pissed off. Any help,is appreciated. I did read over the Chapman thread and some others but am looking for specific advise for needs stated above. Thanks.
Just rigged up this 26 gal Northstar atv sprayer to mount on my D130 and treat my lawn about the same size. Now just have to test application speeds and what not...

HoosierLawnGnome
Grass Type: Blueberry KBG
Lawn Size: 1 acre-2 acre
Level: Advanced

Post by HoosierLawnGnome » April 6th, 2019, 8:00 pm

I like the tractor mounted sprayers like above. On my area i use a 26 gallon pull behind.

Pway

Post by Pway » April 7th, 2019, 8:15 am

Thank you Timbo and Hoosier. The John Deere dealer in the area only has a tow behind but I can see how a tractor mounted sprayer could be more maneuverable. Did this Northstar sprayer come with a mounting bracket for the D130 or did you have to rig something else up yourself? Also, when I used a push sprayer it was easy to shut it off as I turned to make a return pass, which enabled me not to overapply on turns. How do you do that on a tractor mounted sprayer (is there an easy shut off? I never used dye marker because I could just turn around and gauge the path, I imagine this could be trickier with a tractor mounted sprayer?

I don’t like fertilizing this early but went out and bought Lesco fret with Dimension for an application this weekend but I definitely want to purchase a sprayer going forward. Thanks again!

Timbo3985
Level: Novice

Post by Timbo3985 » April 7th, 2019, 1:56 pm

Pway wrote:
April 7th, 2019, 8:15 am
Thank you Timbo and Hoosier. The John Deere dealer in the area only has a tow behind but I can see how a tractor mounted sprayer could be more maneuverable. Did this Northstar sprayer come with a mounting bracket for the D130 or did you have to rig something else up yourself? Also, when I used a push sprayer it was easy to shut it off as I turned to make a return pass, which enabled me not to overapply on turns. How do you do that on a tractor mounted sprayer (is there an easy shut off? I never used dye marker because I could just turn around and gauge the path, I imagine this could be trickier with a tractor mounted sprayer?

I don’t like fertilizing this early but went out and bought Lesco fret with Dimension for an application this weekend but I definitely want to purchase a sprayer going forward. Thanks again!
I believe JD makes a prefabbed unit which mounts but I think it’s only like 15 gallons. Which isn’t a huge deal, just requires additional fill-ups.

This did not come with a mount as it’s actually made for an ATV and sits on a rack on the back of the ATV. I spent some time making a shelf which mounts on the tractor but can taken off fairly easily in the event I need to use the bagger or pull the lawn cart. The sprayer also has a switch that allows for on/off on demand. Here is the rack prior to mounting the sprayer. Of course I had to use some JD green to dress it up a bit.

Pway

Post by Pway » April 7th, 2019, 4:01 pm

Nice job Timbo and thanks for the info. I put down granular today just to get it done but have to get something for liquids. I sprayed about 1000 sq ft of brick potion and walk today with a two gallon manual pump spray. That was not fun. Thank you again for you info and photo.