Does the Ego electric mower deserve to be in the top tier ?

The place for discussions about mowers, stripers, edgers, weeders, etc.
Fullheadofturf1234
Grass Type: KBG I think
Lawn Size: 5000-10000
Level: Some Experience

Does the Ego electric mower deserve to be in the top tier ?

Post by Fullheadofturf1234 » April 8th, 2019, 7:30 pm

As Andy suggested I decided to make a new topic for this question.

Does the EGo electrc mower deserve to be in the top tier with the Honda and the toro timemaster?

If you go to Home depot site, the mower has over 4,000 positive reviews.

But what about its mulching capability?
Does the time master still get the nod due to the larger deck and reduced mowing times?

I like to relate this to cars... a tesla can blow pretty much any gas powered car off the line due to the massive and instant torque their battery generates but I dont think this has translated into the turf arena quite yet.

Another plus is the ability to mow at night due to the quitness of the machine.

I encourage you to post your thoughts and comments, even if its just feedback on how the Ego feels... maybe you are able to answer some of the questions above.
:clapping:

turf_toes
Grass Type: 77% Blueberry/23% Midnight Star KBG in front. Bewitched KBG monostand in back.
Lawn Size: Not Specified
Level: Not Specified

Re: Does the Ego electric mower deserve to be in the top tier ?

Post by turf_toes » May 1st, 2019, 8:07 am

I’d never use the Home Depot product reviews as a buying guide for lawn equipment. Most of the reviewers have little actual experience beyond walking behind the machine.

Deano80
Grass Type: Bermuda Tifway 419
Lawn Size: Not Specified
Level: Not Specified

Post by Deano80 » May 20th, 2019, 2:18 pm

I would say no. Electric mowers are a cool concept but have a ways to go before they can truly compete with gas powered equipment. They just don't have the power necessary for nice thick lawns.

My neighbor has a top of the line Kobalt with 3 batteries and he let me borrow it once to try it out. I killed 2 full batteries on my backyard alone which is approximately 5k sqft of Bermuda Tifway 419. It's very thick and his mower struggled. I know his Kobalt isn't the mower in question here but another gentleman here in our community does have an Ego and said the exact same thing.

I believe for thinner lawns they may fair ok but for my personal use there is no way I would consider electric...I'm not a Tru Cut owner!

HoosierLawnGnome
Grass Type: Blueberry KBG
Lawn Size: 1 acre-2 acre
Level: Advanced

Post by HoosierLawnGnome » May 20th, 2019, 3:22 pm

I dont think battery powered mowers have the power and endurance compared to gasoline engines..... YET....

But I only know based on my limited use of my father in laws Kobalt battery powered machine on his 2500 sf yard.

As others have alluded, try using one on high quality turf in the growth surge.

Try cutting it low, see how it does.

Try lowering height of cut.

Try mulching heavy leaf litter.

Try cutting wet grass AND taking off half.

I dont think my father in laws machine will work well in those situations.

It does fine for regular mowing. I love the quietness. Reminds me of manual reel mowing at night.

northeastlawn
Grass Type: KBG
Lawn Size: 1000-3000
Level: Experienced

Post by northeastlawn » May 20th, 2019, 4:40 pm

I also have Kobalt Mower, its my main mower now, but its for a 1,500sf yard. I also cut often and not in the rain.

Although lately I have been cutting another 2.000sf for a neighbor. I'd say I use about 1 1/2 batteries. I haven't really noticed a lack of power.

Since going lithium battery I can't say i miss any of the gas powered variants. The only gas powered tool I still have is my snow blower. I am so happy to not have a gas powered weed walker to start up, and no chord on the hedge trimmers is an amazing feeling.

That said I don't think the battery mower has the suction and mulching capability of the gas powered mowers. But it does seem to mulch leaves just fine.

Where the tools win big time is the ease of use and quietness, all my neighbors and especially the wives all ask about mine whenever I mow the lawn.

I have noticed one of the neighbors wives cutting the lawn all the time now that they got an Ego mower.

That might be good or bad, depending omg how much you enjoy working on the lawn :-)

Lastly if you do decide to go electric go with EGO, their battery system is more compatible to older models and you can use batteries with different voltages. If I had to do it again it would be in the EGO line.